Make HDD partition as a USB external drive

Hello, so... the question is this:

Can I make a partition of my laptops' HDD work as an external drive.
So that when I connect a USB cable to my laptop, then connect the other end of the USB cable to another PC/laptop this other PC/laptop than thinks that an external HDD is connected to it...

I'm assuming I would need some sort of software to specify which partition I want to be recognized as the external HDD and then possibly specify which USB port to use...?

Or not necessarily a partition, just any specific folder would work as well...

So... help... please...:) So far I haven't found any answers googling.

Not clear on your problem;

When I connect a USB tumbdrive to my Laptop it shows up as a regular Mapped Drive.

In fact, when I take it elsewhere, that happens also.

It is not related to the HDD on the laptop at all (is that what you're after; making the USB actually mirror datafrom your HDD?)

Let me try to clear it up a bit.

I would like to transfer files between two laptops and I don't want to create LANs or wireless connections.

So I would like to just connect the two laptops via a USB cable. Then make one partition or folder on Laptop #1 be recognized as a USB drive/external HDD/pendrive/thumbdrive or anything else that can be normally connected via USB.

YEP; do it all the time.

I load various virus removal tools and things like a preloaded HOST file to protect the browser.

Nothing special is required.

btw; Personally, I set the device RW when attached to my system to allow loading files,
but the use it as RO when attached to some other system(s) to avoid possible infections :)

Why not just use an ethernet cable and do the same thing? It would be quicker and is actually possible to do. Whereas I don't know that the whole USB thumb drive drive thing is even possible. At least I've never heard of such a thing.

YEP; do it all the time.

I load various virus removal tools and things like a preloaded HOST file to protect the browser.

Nothing special is required.

btw; Personally, I set the device RW when attached to my system to allow loading files,
but the use it as RO when attached to some other system(s) to avoid possible infections :)

So how can I do it?

I don't want to use LAN because USB would be a faster way without any configuration and some PCs have firewalls that need to be configured... plus - I would like to connect my laptop to my playstation which also has a USB connection:)

Why not just use an ethernet cable and do the same thing? It would be quicker and is actually possible to do.
Doable but only when the two systems are in the same room. How would you assist your friend across town?
Whereas I don't know that the whole USB thumb drive drive thing is even possible. At least I've never heard of such a thing.
Answered above.

So how can I do it?
just do it. Have you tried it at all? If so site some specific problem so we can get out of the abstract and discuss solutions to your problem.

The firewall does not come into play for a USB attached thumb drive, but would do so
on a peer-2-peer Ethernet connection.

So I would like to just connect the two laptops via a USB cable.
AHH!
There's the misunderstanding - - forget the cable and just physically move the thumbdrive

1) attach to systemA and load files
2) disconnect
3) attach to systemB and copy/use the data

AHH!
There's the misunderstanding - - forget the cable and just physically move the thumbdrive

1) attach to systemA and load files
2) disconnect
3) attach to systemB and copy/use the data

Yeah... that would be easy... can't do that... or actually don't want to do that.

So is there a way to connect to laptops via just a USB cable?

NO. Yea it can be quite stupid moving it to and fro especially when in the same room,
but it works well.
Just remember to click the Remove Safely Icon in the system tray.

btw: there's newer stuff re Firewire that will give that kind of access, but it's not available yet (that I know of).

Crap... I would think that someone had made it possible...
Anyway, thanks for you help. I'll keep searching, maybe I'll find something. All other input on how to make this possible is also welcome.

Back