Making new rig CPU choice?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ppsssooo

Ok so i have 2k$ at the moment. im gona buy 2 9800 1g G2's for 1048 from Newegg and second in line is my CPU. need a little help bcuz its a tad confusing when i look up the Prices. Example a Quad core 2.4 is like 200$ and a Core Duo is like 3-400+. so what im asking is why the CPU with 4 cores is less then a core Duo. Shouldn't the Quad be alot better for games? and everything else in general? Main thing this is for is Gaming so what do i chose. also gona get 8 gig ram!

Meh you're wasting your money on fluff, you're not going to need 8GB of RAM nor do you need two 9800GX2s. You will of successfully built a "brag" box and that's about all. So, unless you're trying to stroke your ego with this purchase, consider making a few revisions.

If you take a look at most benchmarks - it's the general consensus that the Core 2 Duo offers better performance with games because of the higher clock frequencies I believe. Quads may have four cores, however, they are running at a lower frequency and games can't take advantage of the four cores. Not sure what chips you're looking at, but the E8400 is <$200.

Not rly for Bragging, its something i want to last me for 10 + years w/o having to Upgrade. ive seen ppl OC cpu to 3.5-4 GHz. though i may not do it ive heard its Amazingly OCable. the Q6600 <$215

I think you should stay with 4Gig
i want to last me for 10 + years
With computers, you really can't look too far ahead

Your system in 10+ years might be worth $50 (if that!)
It would be the same as pricing a 1998 machine right now (mind you some of these really old computers have antique value)

I say stick with what works in todays programs and games, and update as you go.

I'm still waiting for the home android to come about, our kids (when grown up) will laugh at these stupid boxes on the table.

As Kimsland has suggested - you likely aren't going to get 10 years out of the machine. Spend modestly now, and you'll thank yourself in three years when your PC is struggling to keep up with games :).

True
I was only joking about the Qx9770 because its really expensive right now. On tigerdirect.ca the Qx9770 is going for about $1800 at the moment. That would pretty much eat up your entire budget.
Heck all of the Extreme series procs are expensive lol...

well.. as i said future. and ofcourse later More games and things will use Multi cores Q6600 being able to insanely OC makes it greater. its 200 for 4 gigs of rly good ram say Corsair etc or i can get 8 Gigs for 200 aswell from OCZ. Mobo is going to be ASUS Striker II Formula LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 780i SLI. so in actuallity it should last me quite a bit shouldnt it? i would think 2x 1g 9800 G2 combined with 4 cores and 8 GB ram would be very sufficient for any game that will come out. BTW about the mobo above is there on better? or is that ok for my setup. not going for a ddr3 board since i can get 8 gigs ddr2 for 200$

higher clock frequencies I believe.
... whatever i thought it was bad programming and stuff as quads, when used with multicore optomization perform almost twice as good.

ANYWAY

if its for gaming, use this procesor:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115037

i dunno were your getting your prices but your getting riped off. Or buying a core 2 extreme, something you shouldn't do.

Screw the GX2's. i personally think that Quad SLI or whatever they call it right now is a COMPLETE waste of money. Just like the core 2 extreme's.
I would say that you save $400 and buy 2 9800GTX's. Or wait for the HD 4000 series and see what they have to offer.

Don't buy 8 gigs of RAM. 4 at most. with that kind of money, buy like DDR3 1600 or something.

I doubt that your comp will last you 10 years. Even if the hardware is still alive by then. What games are you going to play?!! Crysis? Cuz with my $120 9600GT, i can play 98% of all the games out there on highest settings.

This sounds like a rough build that you thought up of in 20 mins lol.

For gaming i would use:
CPU: Intel E8400
GPU's: i would wait for the 4000 series :) but if you want it now, 2x9800GTX's
Mobo: Gigabyte, supported up to DDR3 1900, 2x PCI 2.0
RAM: OCZ DDR3 1600 6-6-6-18
Power Supple:CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W Power Supply - Retail

Overclock your processor to 1600FSB.
But judging by your post, you don't know how...

And thats my rough sketch :)
Probably want a 10000 RPM HDD, not that i have one...

any and all prices come Direct from newegg soz...side note. it will last me 5 at most which isnt a problem. o and im switching to evga mobo instead see to many problems with the other. *with the internet you can come up with anything in 20 mins lol* also why the 3ghz dual core over Q6600 from all the vids ive seen its a since to OC to 3ghz. so whats better 2x3ghz or 4?

Well... Dual core are better at gaming. You don't have to understand it but Dual core perfomes better at gaming.

Also it's just as easy to OC the E8400 to 4ghz. They are almost the same to overclock really.

Besides. It doesn't matter too much. I can run Crysis at under 100% CPU usage with my dual core E4600

The E8500 would be a good investment compared to the Core 2 Quad. When programs start taking advantage of all four cores, we'd probably have eight-core CPUs. In fact, apps have only recently started to use both the cores on a dual-core CPU. So you're effectively wasting your cash. Also as far as OCing goes, the E8500 easily hits 4GHz on stock cooling.

The motherboard is another waste of cash. You'd be better off getting a 750i SLI chipset motherboard instead. Pair it with two 512MB 8800GTS cards and a Crucial Ballistix 1066MHz 4GB kit, and you've got a very powerful machine on your hands.

Lastly, be sure to get the Seagate Barracuda 7200.11s for your HDD(s). They have a sustained transfer speed faster than the WD Raptor and come with a 5-year warranty to boot. (only on OEM drives)

well the thing is then when the Eight cores come out ill be stuck with two cores? i keep looking up more on Q6600 and ppl have gone to 4ghz with non stock heatsink its not like a HS will cost too much. as for mobo i set limit to 300 and the evga is 240$ atm everything ive listed is about 1900+ together and i may get +200 soon since 27th is Bday. also was thinking maybe OCZ Reaper HPC Edition 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 tho since im getting more cash soon and im under my limit i may get 1066 if not still 8gb

btw what has me sold on the q66 is this review from Tigerdirect http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-1757472052504182250&q=q6600&ei=O98vSOuSNJT44gLy_9TbCQ Just watch it.

well the thing is then when the Eight cores come out ill be stuck with two cores?
You don't really get it. I just meant that once eight-core CPUs will be out, you'd barely start having programs that would tax all the four cores in a quad-core CPU. That's how it always is.

8GB of RAM is useless. 4GB is plenty. Also, get the fastest RAM you can afford, preferably fast enough to match the FSB of the CPU you intend to buy.

Also, the Q6600 is now 'old tech'. If you are fixed on buying a quad-core CPU, get a newer 45nm part instead. They OC much better and run cooler too. The Q9300 is an excellent alternative to the Q6600 IMO.

Lastly, keep in mind that gaming performance is affected to a much greater degree by the GPU, rather than the CPU. Having an E8500 and a 9800GX2 will get you the same performance as a Q6600 and the same card would, + or - about 3-5FPS. So look towards getting a powerful GPU (or GPUs).

Yeah seriously. FORGET ABOUT 8 GIGS you will find in the task manager that you are only using 25% of it...

Yeah you know if you really want a quad, i would suggest the Q9450 as it has double the L2 cache of the Q9300 and has a 8 mult instead of 7.5 (thats sorta a weird number).

Ok but for gaming, the Dual cores do better. Pro gamers always use dual cores. JK i have no idea but i think they do.
In terms of raw procesing power, the quads are better BUT 99% of programs can't even take full advantage of 2 cores, same with games. They really run FASTER on dual cores.

It doesn't matter either. Demanding games will hardly need more than 3.0 ghz. Besides, DUAL CORES OVERCLOCK BETTER THAN THE Q6600!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

and yes ditch that mobo.

well.. as i said future. and ofcourse later More games and things will use Multi cores Q6600 being able to insanely OC makes it greater. its 200 for 4 gigs of rly good ram say Corsair etc or i can get 8 Gigs for 200 aswell from OCZ. Mobo is going to be ASUS Striker II Formula LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 780i SLI. so in actuallity it should last me quite a bit shouldnt it? i would think 2x 1g 9800 G2 combined with 4 cores and 8 GB ram would be very sufficient for any game that will come out. BTW about the mobo above is there on better? or is that ok for my setup. not going for a ddr3 board since i can get 8 gigs ddr2 for 200$

I bet that 4 gigs of fast DDR3 ram with a mobo half the price and just two 9800GTX's that cost much less and with an overclocked Dual Core would perform better than that....

If i were you, i would get after-market overclockng supplies for an E8400 and Buy 2-4 gigs of DDR3 1800 RAM.

Seriously lets look into this.

E8400 ≈ $230 (?)
Gigabyte mobo ≈ under $300
DDR3 1800 ≈ $250/500
Case ≈ $200
HDD ≈ $400
Power supply ≈ $150
GPU ≈ $400
Sound Card ≈ $150
Misc. ≈ $150

All in all, it ends up under $2500 dollars, and thats being fairly generous in the amount of money stated.

thats pretty close to the amount of money you would use in what you said above, yet this will perform better!

oh i forgot, did you say you wanted it to last for a while? ok well maybe you should consider getting a Q9450 as i hope programmers will be paid enough soon to make stuff more optimized...

Update: Ok so just came back from Frys electronics. I currently i bought
*Q9300 Core2Quad OEM
*4GB 2x2GB DDR3 1333mhz Patriot
*EVGA nForce 790i
*Thermaltake mini Typhoon Heatsink
*Corsair 750W PSU
*Tagan CS el diablo Case
price = $1320
within this week i should be getting my 2 9800 G2's

uh nice...... i hope you didn't get ripped off...
Nice power supply. are you looking to overclock you CPU?

well i still don't like 9800GX2's but .................

i hope you know that dual cores are still better for gaming.
Have you considered all the other little things like input, monitor, stuff not mentioned here...

only rip off was Tax otherwise it would have been cheaper i suppose PSU+Mobo were both 30-40$ more then i was going to get at newegg.

lol. I hate tax. I wish newegg had promo codes based on percentages. Then i could get together with everyone i know and make some huge expensive order :).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back