Mal/generic-a

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello

My Sophos antivirus is giving me messages that I have a virus mal/generic-a. I have read on other forums that I should download/install hijack this. Anyone have any suggestions? Please help.

Thanks very much
meanie

My Sophos antivirus is giving me messages that I have a virus mal/generic-a. I have read on other forums that I should download/install hijack this. Anyone have any suggestions? Please help.
The techspot 8 steps is a removal regiment which does include hijack this,

Hijack this records system information so malware helpers (names highlighted in purple) can analyze your hijackthis log and determine what actions need to be taken.

I would recommend Avira Free antivirus and running a sccan with it.

Did 8 steps. Logs are attached. Please help

Hi,

My Sophos is telling me that I have a virus Mal/Generic-A. I did all the 8 steps of the 8-step Viruses/Spyware/Malware Preliminary Removal Instructions and my logs are attached.

Malwarebytes and SuperAntiSpyWare did not find any infections, but Sophos did and so did a scan from AVG.

Please help.

Every time I mess with a meangirl I get ripped to shreds! :blackeye:

But I lke the Adrenalin rush so here goes ! :)

First having multiple active Virus scanners is not good. They fight each other slow down the system and you actually end up with less protection.

You need to chose between AVG Sophos and Antivir and get rid of 2!

The 8 Steps advise to to turn them off while doing the Malware cleaning.

But for now boot to Safe Mode networking (this will get around the Virus scanners for now) and do the below!

Download ComboFix

Get it here: https://www.techspot.com/downloads/5587-combofix.html
Or here: http://subs.geekstogo.com/ComboFix.exe

Double click combofix.exe follow the prompts.

Install Recovery Console if connected to the Internet!

When finished, it will open a log.
Attach the log and a new HJT log in your next reply.

Note: Do not click combofix's window while its running. That may cause it to stall.
=========================================

Download SDFix to Desktop.

http://downloads.andymanchesta.com/RemovalTools/SDFix.exe

On Desktop run SDdFix It will run (install) then close.

Then reboot into Safe Mode

As the computer starts up, tap the F8 key several times.

On the Boot menu Choose Safe Mode.

Click thu all the prompts to get to desktop.

At Desktop
My Computer C: drive. Double-click to open.

Look for a folder called SD Fix. Double-click to enter SD Fix.

Double-click to RunThis.bat. Type Y to begin.

SD Fix does its job.

When prompted hit the enter key to restart the computer

Your computer will reboot.

On normal restart the Fixtool will run again and complete the removal process then say Finished,
Hit the Enter key to end the script and load your desktop icons.

Once the desktop is up, the SDFix report will open on screen and also be saved to the SDFix folder as Report.txt.
Attach the Report.txt file to your next post.

Mike

Hi

To mflynn (Mike) or anyone else who can help.

My Sophos was telling me that I had a virus: mal/generic-a. I did the 8 steps, then ran combofix and SDfix as was suggested by mflynn (one of the malware helpers). My comobofix and SDfix logs are attached.

Thanks so much for the help.

meanie

Hi

To mflynn (Mike) or anyone else who can help.

My Sophos was telling me that I had a virus: mal/generic-a. I did the 8 steps, then ran combofix and SDfix as was suggested by mflynn (one of the malware helpers). My comobofix and SDfix logs are attached in the other thread (Did 8 steps. Logs attached..).

Thanks so much for the help.

meanie

Oh now I see! Two threads merged! I thought I was the 1st answer!

OK meanie

Clear your Quarantine in Sophos.

Then ..

Looks like you are clean but ....

The below will finish up hopefully.

Go here Download DrWeb https://www.techspot.com/vb/post724044-3.html

Then....

Boot to Safe Mode only! Not with Networking and run...

DrWeb will fisrt do an Express Scan on its own when it completes then you should do a full scan.

The first Virus it finds select Cure and it will use this as the default automatically for all the rest. What it can't fix will be Quarantined!

This will take a while based on CPU and HD speed and size, but is worth it!

Mike

Thanks for the help!

Thank you hellokitty, Bobbye, and mflynn. I was able to remove the virus (I think). No more complaints about it from Sophos.

Thanks again!

You're welcome. If you consider the problem resolved, you can remove the cleaning tools and the old restore points:

Download OTCleanIt HERE & save it to your desktop.
Double click on OTCleanIt.exe.
Click on CleanUp!.
It will go thorough the list and remove all of the tools it finds and then delete itself (requiring a reboot).
You will receive a prompt that it needs to restart the computer to remove the files>
Click Yes.
It will restart your computer automatically. If it doesn't, please restart your computer manually.
Clear your existing System Restore points and establish a new clean restore point:
Go to Start > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools > System Restore> Select Create a restore point> OK.
* Next, go to Start > Run and type in cleanmgr
"Ensure the selection is on C:\ and click on OK"-
* Select the *More options* tab
* Choose the option to clean up System Restore and OK it.
* This will remove all restore points except the new one you just created.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back