Malware block message

FastQuestion

I am following the advice of someone that wrote in a topic I made in the Mobile Comuting section, that pointed to this board. A few days ago, I had been writing in that topic when all of a sudden a warning came up saying: Malware Blocked, ad.doubleclick.net/adj/ns.techspot, ...etc, infection: html: script-inf, (and also html:lframe-inf, for another object).
It was very annoying and surprising. I think an advertisement did this, but is that right? Why would that happen?

Attack and "scareware" sites sometimes employ such tactics in order to install "foistware" on your system as you panic and hit the wrong button... Safest response to such a window (that I have found) is to use Ctrl-Alt-Delete to start "Windows Task Manager" and then use it to kill the browser. The reason I use this approach is ... ANY button on the the "scare ware" window/pop-up may be a trigger for the foistware installation.

Yes... You can get malware from an incorrect response to such a window.

If you are concerned, please check our Virus and Malware forum, where Broni, or Bobbye, (or others?) will be able to help you resolve your concerns.

Thank you for the info. Windows that have the ability to do that - that is ridiculous. In this case however, there was no pop-up; a message came up from the computer itself, saying it blocked the Malware. The information given there seemed to indicate that this site or an advertisement caused it.

How come such an advertisement would appear here? Bookwyrm, is this something to take up with administrators, if there are any to reach (or are the ones you mentioned the right folks)?

Here? That is peculiar!
There is nothing I know of that should cause that kind of warning to appear on TechSpot.

Yes... I would start a thread in the Virus and Malware forum;

Before you do so, please read all the stickies there.
(5 posts at the top of the page, three are by Julio and two are by Bobbye)

You should also, just to be safe, run through the steps prescribed in this "8 Steps" sticky.
If you have difficulty, they will help you.
AND - by following the steps, it will generate information for them.
This information will help them get to the bottom of whatever may be flakey on your system.

====
PS --- I agree... it is ridiculous. Some people climb mountains because the mountains are there and the person "can". Some people attack other computers because the computers are there, and because they "can".

I thought I had written this subject in the Malware section.

I will certainly try to get to the recommended topics. The 5 topics - do I recount the incident/problem in there, or is there another form for that? I am going to be away for a short while, but I figure I would give account here again if something else came to mind.

I thought I had written this subject in the Malware section.

I will certainly try to get to the recommended topics. The 5 topics - do I recount the incident/problem in there, or is there another form for that? I am going to be away for a short while, but I figure I would give account here again if something else came to mind.
"Doubleclick.net" is a very common "tracking cookie". It reports traffic at sites, and also surfing habits. You'll find it virtually everywhere you go on the web.

It's not really,"malware" per se, and carries a very low threat assessment. This isn't to say that you wouldn't be better off without it.

You can use Firefoxe's."privacy mode" to clean this cookie out when the browser closes, or you can run an add-on called, "NoScript" to prevent the cookie from being set in the first place.

The junk file remover, "CCleaner" will also remove this cookie.

Bookwrym, I don’t think the Malware caution that came up on the computer here was as serious as those 5 topics seemed designed for. I am using the computer now that had experienced the issue (it had happened several days ago), and it has worked normally since then.
CaptainCranky, I did not know the reason for its use at the time, but I am fairly positive that the “CCleaner” was indeed used.

Suit yourself.

But since I have NEVER had such a warning come up here,
and since malware designers have a way of putting stuff onto unsuspecting victims
that is triggered by visits to sites like TechSpot, Geeks2Go, bleepingcomputer, etc...

Wellll...
I would want to find out what had caused the flag,
and figure out how to make sure it (and anything else suspicious) was gone!

That is me.
YMMV.

I am pursuing this topic in the Malware section like you suggested, however. How would you avoid contracting Malware
- whether it be from sites like you named, or otherwise? Some things were used here soon after the threat was detected, like the C Cleaner. Thank you for the tips

I am pursuing this topic in the Malware section like you suggested, however. How would you avoid contracting Malware
- whether it be from sites like you named, or otherwise? Some things were used here soon after the threat was detected, like the C Cleaner.
CCleaner and other programs of this type, are really not designed to deal with high threat level infections.

You need help if this type of malware has infected your machine. The reason being, very strong programs are employed to remove stubborn infections. In fact, certain infections require a reformat, since they can't be removed or repaired.

The tools involved in diagnosing and removing malware, such as "Hijack this", can damage a system when used incorrectly, such as removing a needed process. (Such as a beginner might mistake for an infection, but in reality is a system necessity).

I’ve come to the conclusion that my original issue was not that serious. I can honestly say that I have learned something new. I assume that something like C Clean is partially sufficient for a minor alarm, or a ‘Malware Blocked’ notice?
Thank you all.

Back