Malware Cleaning Helpers Needed

Bobbye

I have deleted a request I made. Was not a good idea. Had second thoughts. Sorry for the bother.

No problem, I can help, all I need is to learn how to read the logs. Some of it is pretty obvious however. Is there any links on this site that help explain what to look for in the various log files?:confused:

strategic, if you have to ask that question, you aren't ready to help out there. It's not as obvious as you think when it comes down to identifying the malware and determining what needs to be done to remove it.

Thanks for the offer anyway. There is a lot to the cleaning and there are no links for shortcuts!

No problem, I can help, all I need is to learn how to read the logs. Some of it is pretty obvious however. Is there any links on this site that help explain what to look for in the various log files?:confused:

Strategic, there's always "Geek U", if you'd seriously like to learn about malware removal. Be forewarned, you would have to invest considerable time and effort into graduating, and then helping out at their website as sort of tuition. Plus if you wanted to do it here as well, even more time and effort.

Oh well, I tried :( I guess it wouldn't hurt to help users through the 8-step procedure and then leave the diagnostics up to you...
At least I can help get some info together for you :)

Thank you Captain! I should have added that.

strategic, if someone thinks they have malware, you can help set the thread up as follows:
1. If they have not left the 3 logs or if they have only left a log from HijackThis:
Refer them to the thread that has the Preliminary Virus and Malware Removal steps here:
https://www.techspot.com/community/...lware-removal-preliminary-instructions.58138/

2. Ask the to run a full system scan with their antivirus program, save the log and include it also.

3. Encourage them to giver information about their system:
a). which operating system they have, for instance. The paths for the Directions can vary for different OS
b) ask them to describe what is happening with the system that is different: Is a search going to the wrong site? Are their pop-up ads of an explicit nature? Is a function such as the Control Panel, Task Manager or other system section missing or inaccessible?

4. Ask them to follow the directions for running the programs exactly- print them out if they can so they can follow the steps.

Many times I would open a thread and see there were no programs run, no logs attached- so nothing could be done.

I am getting further training in malware cleaning and while I am doing that, I cannot assist in cleaning anywhere. So the better set up those threads are the easier it will be for someone who is trained in the cleaning to assist.

They are several sites on the internet that 'teach' malware cleaning, as the Captain mentioned. The courses are very time consuming so be sure you have that time 'to spare'!

Back