Malware gone but Internet now slow

twoNglenn

After a great flushing of all the bad stuff I am left with slow internet. Normally I would have 25 Mbps but I am lucky to see 5. I have tried updates and everything says I am up to date. The other laptop and tablets are showing what I should be showing....more. The upload is close to normal in most test runs.

Pinging google.com [216.58.216.174] with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 216.58.216.174: bytes=32 time=305ms TTL=56
Reply from 216.58.216.174: bytes=32 time=124ms TTL=57
Reply from 216.58.216.174: bytes=32 time=119ms TTL=56
Reply from 216.58.216.174: bytes=32 time=114ms TTL=56
Ping statistics for 216.58.216.174:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 114ms, Maximum = 305ms, Average = 165ms

You are pinging the largest, busiest internet facility on the planet, and those ping times are very typical. Mine are much the same, from England......
Try to find the address of your ISP (just google 'ping your ISP' for a utility like ping.eu/ping or check this link http://www.pcweenie.com/hni/troubleshooting/trouble7.shtml) and the response times should be so low they cannot be measured.

If the ISP ping is also long, try this https://us.battle.net/support/en/article/ip-release-renew-and-flush-dns

Last edited:
Performed the functions from the command prompt; a lot of notes on media disconnected or unabled? I am not sure what to look for...

Recommend you check all the hardware connections. Are you connected by broadband, cable, wireless, usb ? Disconnect and re-connect all the wires and adapters that you can do easily, one by one. If you are connected to a modem/router via an ethernet cable, it is worth trying a different cable.
Without knowing anything at all about your setup, it is hard to advise any more.

Are you using a wireless router?
if yes, see if you are the only user connected to the internet.
try to use cat5e/cat6e LAN cable to rule out poor wifi signal.

also, if you have other wifi devices, try to connect them and see if the 'slow internet connection' can be replicated.
if the other devices have fast internet connection, maybe something else is causing the problem in your recently cleaned device.
check with free versions of malwarebytes antimalware and spybot search and destroy.
re-check system drive with your updated antivirus.

Hi. Thanks for your info. Here is what I have completed from your advice:
I checked hardware connections, HDD, Memory.
My laptop can and usually is wireless but I use a cable directly to the modem to rule out the wireless.
Had a cat5e d link cable and replaced it with a different cable. Received good numbers but my scenario is Intermittent. So I will periodically check the speed for a few days.
I was unable to replicate the slow connection today.
I still have malwarebytes and some other software programs installed and I will run those next.
My antivirus is updated. It is McAfee. I think I liked AVG Free better. I will run a full scan now.
Thank-you for your help.

Speedtest 26.81Mbps down and 2.73 up currently. I will continue to run and check as it drops to 7 Mbps periodically.

Both cables seem to be equal with the speed test. BUT, disconnected the cable and turned on the wifi on the laptop (Fn+F8) and ran wireless only. Bad results; 10 Mbps + .60 up. Ping was 20ms in all cases.

Seems likely your problem is wireless connections. Intermittent slowing can be caused by local interference. If you have access to an android tablet, you can persuade it to show you all detectable local wireless connections, whether locked or open. In urban areas that can be quite surprising......and change a lot by time-of-day.

May be worth looking at this http://www.wikihow.com/Improve-WiFi-Reception

It can be hard to be sure if a sudden change is real, or you just didn't notice it before. A genuine sudden change might be malware, hardware faults, ISP problems, new local users, new local interference.....anything really.

BTW you can use the 'edit' link to add to your recent post, instead of adding a new one.

Last edited:
Thanks for your help.
I can understand the wireless dropping but the wired is also. With this laptop I can easily keep it plugged in because the modem/router is so close. But its a 'hit and miss' for speed either way. I checked out the improvement link and I will try some of the things it states.

Speaking of links; being a noob to this forum I can't find the "edit" link....:)

Thanks again.

Back