Hi there, I recently managed to aquire some kind of malware infection on my girlfriend's computer... It came up originally as "Antimalware Doctor" and "XP defender". I tried to follow some online instructions for removal, using MBAM, but this closed as soon as i pressed "OK" at the end of the scan, without letting me clean up. The malware seemingly prevented access to safer-networking.com, making downloading spybot difficult, though I managed to get it in the end. Then it wouldn't update, and wouldn't scan without updating, so I got a friend to send the update file over. I managed to scan it, and it seemed to find a lot of stuff and clean it up. Then I tried to install avast!, and disable the copy of McAfee obtained from University - I wanted to have more control over the setting, as the uni copy setting were fixed. I installed avast!, but it said the trial period had ended as soon as I installed it (even though I downloaded the free one), and I couldn't register or update at all. I tried to uninstall using add/remove programs, then using Zsoft uninstaller (which was on the system already) then tried to download the uninstall file from the avast website, but the first two didn't even show up avast as present on the system, and i can't access the download from the website at all... Then I installed avira, which seems to be ok. Then, something called "XP antimalware" appeared, and I repeated the spybot scan and avira scan, and removed the threats found, but I still seem to be having problems... So, here are the symptoms: Diversion of google search results. Random opening of web pages. System restore blocked Microsoft office won't open Can't Download latest IE from microsoft, have only go IE5 on computer so can't update things with it Can't uninstall avast! And that's all I can think of right now - I have used Hijackthis and tried to remove one or two BHO's, but they persist... Sorry for going on a bit, and thanks so much for your help!