'Mass Effect Legendary Edition' receives a rating in South Korea, fueling rumors of a...

Polycount

Staff
Rumor mill: Earlier this year, we reported on the rumors that a Mass Effect Trilogy remaster was in the works. At the time, the evidence for its existence was relatively weak: an art book listing on Amazon and a handful of other unsubstantiated rumors were just about all we had to go off of.

Today, though, the evidence has become much more substantial. As reported by Gematsu today, something called the "Mass Effect Legendary Edition" has been officially rated in Korea.

The game was spotted in a much larger list of newly-rated content -- you can download the full thing in .csv format right here. For your reference, Mass Effect Legendary Edition is number 52, right below Outriders.

The application for the rating appears to have been sent in on September 1. The rating process didn't complete until a little over two weeks later on September 17. Google Translate says the game received a rating of "Youth not available" (청소년이용불가), which we assume is the equivalent of the ESRB's Mature (17+) classification.

It remains to be seen precisely what EA has up its sleeve with the mysterious Mass Effect Legendary Edition. It could be a full trilogy remaster, or it could just be a remaster of the first game -- or perhaps it's something else entirely. Only time will tell, but we'll certainly keep you updated if any new information comes to light.

Masthead credit: Prima Games

Permalink to story.

It has to be a remaster, with Shepard front and center with past characters.For PS5 and Xbox whatever. They somehow burned through all goodwill in one game with Andromeda (quite impressive), so I don't think they will risk bringing a new game yet.

Studios cry about how games are more expensive to produce, and how prices have largely stayed the same. I have lots of sympathy for that, especially the smaller ones who produce a game every couple years at most. But for larger companies like EA, save me the crocodile tears, not when we are suffering from Remaster galore. Whereas Hollywood is obsessed over sequels, gaming is obsessed over making the same game.

I really actually hope this is a trilogy remaster. I really liked the first 2 games on console but I moved to PC and the pc version of all 3 games don't support controller. I have severe hand tremors so I have to use controllers. This would let me try the third game hopefully.

It has to be a remaster, with Shepard front and center with past characters.For PS5 and Xbox whatever. They somehow burned through all goodwill in one game with Andromeda (quite impressive), so I don't think they will risk bringing a new game yet.

Studios cry about how games are more expensive to produce, and how prices have largely stayed the same. I have lots of sympathy for that, especially the smaller ones who produce a game every couple years at most. But for larger companies like EA, save me the crocodile tears, not when we are suffering from Remaster galore. Whereas Hollywood is obsessed over sequels, gaming is obsessed over making the same game.
Well, they burned that good will with two games. ME1, ME2, and pre-finale ME3 led the players to believe that their choices would have more of an impact on the story than whatever color filter got applied to the end-game cut scene. That didn't burn all the goodwill, but it did prime people to give up on future additions to the franchise after they got Andromeda.

Well, they burned that good will with two games. ME1, ME2, and pre-finale ME3 led the players to believe that their choices would have more of an impact on the story than whatever color filter got applied to the end-game cut scene. That didn't burn all the goodwill, but it did prime people to give up on future additions to the franchise after they got Andromeda.
With how dumb ME3's ending was, I wasn't going to get Andromeda without waiting (and a good thing I did with all the lukewarm reviews I saw). I have other games to play, no point getting that one at this point.

I actually didn't mind the ME3 ending so much. It was more of a controversial creative decision rather than ME3 being a proper bad game. Whereas Andromeda was a proper bad game.

This is a remaster I want... BUT, it should be a proper remaster, and not the same game with a new coat of paint.
ME1 needs to have its gameplay system overhauled. If they start there, I can already be quite happy.

I don't think Mass Effect will ever be what it was, but, if they can at least do a remaster right, there might be some hope for the franchise.

Ideally, I'd like a remake of the trilogy, starting with changes to the abomination that is ME2. It is the least relevant game in the entire trilogy in terms of the universe and plot, and unfortunately, the most popular. People loved that one for all the wrong reasons. I bet the majority of people played ME2 without playing ME1.

A light must have turned on though. ME2 is where the decline started. ME3 had to clean the impossible mess that ME2 left behind, and Andromeda was trying too much to be an open world ME2 to be successful.

Back