Mass Effect: Legendary Edition requirements are low-spec, but you'll need 120GB free space

midian182

Staff member
Something to look forward to: Mass Effect fans got the news they'd been waiting for recently when Electronic Arts confirmed the long-awaited Legendary Edition launches on May 14. Now, the company has revealed the minimum and recommended PC requirements for the remaster. Unsurprisingly, they're not very demanding, though you might need to make some space on your drive.

After revealing the release date and official trailer this week, EA has confirmed most PCs will be able to play Mass Effect Legendary Edition. The only issue could be the 120GB of free space it requires.

While you'll need more than the Nvidia GeForce 6800 / ATI X1300 XT that the original Mass Effect required, most people should manage the required GTX 760 or Radeon 7970/R9280X. Even the recommended spec is a very generous GTX 1070 / RTX 200 or Radeon Vega 56.

Mass Effect Legendary Edition minimum requirements

• Requires a 64-bit processor and operating system
  • Processor: Intel Core i5 3570 or AMD FX-8350
  • Memory: 8 GB RAM
  • Graphics: GPU: NVIDIA GTX 760, AMD Radeon 7970 / R9280X GPU RAM: 2 GB Video Memory
  • DirectX: Version 11
  • Storage: 120 GB available space

Mass Effect Legendary Edition recommended requirements

• Requires a 64-bit processor and operating system
  • Processor: Intel Core i7-7700 or AMD Ryzen 7 3700X
  • Memory: 16 GB RAM
  • Graphics: GPU: NVIDIA GTX 1070 / RTX 200, Radeon Vega 56, GPU RAM: 4 GB Video Memory
  • DirectX: Version 11
  • Storage: 120 GB available space

The requirements reflect the fact that this isn't a ground-up remake of the trilogy. What it does offer is support for 4K, HDR, unlocked refresh rates, and 21:9 displays, along with improved textures, models, lighting, shaders, visual effects, anti-aliasing, and more. Best of all, those agonizingly long elevator rides, used to 'disguise' loading times, have now been reduced from their near one-minute lengths to just over ten seconds.

Mass Effect Legendary Edition also comes with "over 40 DLC including all story content, promo weapons, armors and packs available from the start." What it does lack, however, is the third game's multiplayer mode.

You can pre-order Mass Effect Legendary Edition now from Steam and Origin.

Permalink to story.

This remaster seems to be little more than a texture pack, a few graphical effects like SSAO, Bohkeh Depth of field, etc.
It still uses Unreal Engine 3. This clearly shows how limited this remaster is.

Processor: Intel Core i7-7700 or AMD Ryzen 7 3700X
That's BS!
A core i7 7700 is 4c/8t and Ryzen 3700x 8c/16t, not to mention the IPC increase for Ryzen, and they put them together for recommended CPUs... this is really stupid.
Ryzen is clearly a much better CPU, so the question is which is the one actually representing the performance needed for that requirement?

It's either i7 7700 / Ryzen 2600x or i7 9700 / Ryzen 3700x, so which is it?

If as winjer said it still reuses Unreal Engine 3 then it'll probably need just an i3-9100F. Other than a few minor tweaks, all they've really done other than add ugly DoF effect is up the texture resolution so it'll probably look 2x better but take up 1100% more disk space...

That's BS!
A core i7 7700 is 4c/8t and Ryzen 3700x 8c/16t, not to mention the IPC increase for Ryzen, and they put them together for recommended CPUs... this is really stupid.
Ryzen is clearly a much better CPU, so the question is which is the one actually representing the performance needed for that requirement?

I've been using a 7700K with a mild overclock the last three+ years and it's still going strong for 4K, with no plans to replace any time soon. I really doubt Mass Effect will require anything beyond, unless you drop the resolution for higher frames.

I've been using a 7700K with a mild overclock the last three+ years and it's still going strong for 4K, with no plans to replace any time soon. I really doubt Mass Effect will require anything beyond, unless you drop the resolution for higher frames.
Not like you have any upgrade path for that CPU :)

Not like you have any upgrade path for that CPU :)

Tell me about it. I was too impatient to wait for Ryzen gen 1 so took the plunge anyway, classic me. Oh well I don't do anything that requires a serious amount of threads, upgrade choice might have been nice though!

It has made me think twice about going Intel next time, although I knew the Z270 was a dead end at the time.

Only 120 GB for whole Trilogy? LOL

My ME3 alone with all mods right now has now 200+ GB so I'll manage that paltry value.

Bring it on baby, Bring it ON!!! So pumped.

This remaster seems to be little more than a texture pack, a few graphical effects like SSAO, Bohkeh Depth of field, etc.
I'm actually completely fine with that, everything EA / Bioware touches these days tends to come out rubbish, happy they just fixed up the old game than potentially ruin a great series.

If as winjer said it still reuses Unreal Engine 3 then it'll probably need just an i3-9100F. Other than a few minor tweaks, all they've really done other than add ugly DoF effect is up the texture resolution so it'll probably look 2x better but take up 1100% more disk space...
I don't doubt that the i7 7700 (or other 4c/8t) is more than enough for this ME:LE remaster, I was pointing out how wrong/silly it looks to compare it to a Ryzen 3700x, as they did in the requirements...

I'm actually completely fine with that, everything EA / Bioware touches these days tends to come out rubbish, happy they just fixed up the old game than potentially ruin a great series.

Most of the original Bioware team, has already quit the company.
Now the people that are there don't have the experience, nor the talent to produced games worthy of the Bioware brand.

I am guessing these recommended specs are for 1080p displays? Would be helpful if game developers mentioned the resolution when recommending graphics cards. Cyberpunk did as far as I remember but it seems pretty uncommon.

Most of the original Bioware team, has already quit the company.
Now the people that are there don't have the experience, nor the talent to produced games worthy of the Bioware brand.
Yeah, exactly why I'm happy it's still in the Unreal 3 Engine! It means they didn't try to re-create everything in a newer engine (which would probably have been frostbite) and knowing how bad the talent is these days, they'll have just re-used lots of assets from Andromeda. It would have been crap.

This is mostly true for ME2 and ME3, but ME1 received quite the overhaul, where the biggest pitfalls were fixed.
Combat is tuned, the Mako handling is fixed, elevator rides don't take as long and are skippable... For that alone, I think this is worth getting.

One thing I haven't seen in any articles about this remaster: compatibility with older saves. I don't mind replaying the entire trilogy, but it'd be convenient to use my old backups.

Back