Maxell HDD shows up but won't open

When I connect my external hard drive to my computer it is recognized and shows up and everything but for some reason it can't be opened. This problem started after my brother put some wii games in there and connected it to the Wii...

I clicked on properties and it reads 0 bytes so nothing is detected when I scan it for viruses. (finishes after 5 seconds)

Even though it shows 0 bytes it still has all the data cause after this, I connected it on my wii and it has the games and on blu ray and it shows every video and photo I put in there, it's just a problem with windows...

I don't want to format it because I have like 5000 photos from trips with my family and also some pretty important documents from my dad's work.

I found the answer! The Boot sector was damaged and Windows before looking for the information on the hard drive it looks for this sector. So all I had to do was to get a Linux computer and it was able to open it, it would have also worked with a Mac. Didn't lose any file I had in there.

Back