Maxtor hard drive noisy

Status
Not open for further replies.

martinlw

Hi,My Maxtor 160GB sata hardrive three months old has become noticeably noisy i checked to see if it was the CPU fan by disconnecting the hardrive and it disappeared.When the red light flickers the noise coincides with the light,the noise is like a squeaky sound,is this normal.Regards Martin.

No, I would say it's not normal. But you knew that already or you wouldn't be here. I would backup any important data and replace the drive. If it's only three months old, it should still be under warranty.

Look at the date code on the label of the Maxtor. Some retailers are selling "refurbished" maxtor 160GB drives that have a date code from May and July of 2007. They are used, and sold at a low price, but noisy and worn out. The noise is typical of these "used" Maxtors. If that date code isn't current with the date you purchased it, you may have a refurbished, old, and worn out Maxtor. We have seen a lot of them in the past 60 days.
Please report back, as I would be curious enough to do more follow-up with Maxtor... I don't think Seagate or Seagate Maxtor would like this to be happening any more than a user with a noisy drive.
Some actually have the name of the person, and refurbishing center, but they are still used and noisy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back