McAfee anti virus closing running applications

Status
Not open for further replies.
I been having a problem with a running application shutting down on XP running McAfee Enterprise Station V8.0.0.912. I have narrowed this down by process of elimination. The application runs with the anti V disabled but as soon as it is enabled the application shuts down.
Does anybody come across this before, if so your help will be much appreciated.

It would be helpful to have the following information:

1. What is the application?
2. Error message on shutdown?
3. Your OS, browser (and version) and installed RAM.
4. Depending on your OS, have you checked the Event Viewer for Errors?

You're playing with fire if you shut your AV program down to make something else work!

The application accesses an outside telephone line via an external modem but on shut down it is not creating an error. The OS is XP Professional SP2 with 512mb RAM.
Thanks for your Knowledge.

Could this be from a conflict with the ISP that you are paying for your Internet service?

Let's look in the Application logs in the Event Viewer: Here's the path:

Control Panel> Administrative Tools> Event Viewer> click on Apps (check on System also) on the left and look for errors on the right screen that will open. Right click on error > Properties> Note Event # and Source:

When you open any event , there is a "copy" button below the up/down arrows. Click that, then go to any place that allows you to type (ie. notepad, wordpad, here) and you can paste (use CTRL-V) the entire event details there. It makes for easy reporting of the event. (you do not need to include all the lines of code that follow the Description)

I've found that many of the MS sites in blue are dead links so type the Error# And Source into the sites below. It will tell you what it is and give links to follow:
http://www.eventid.net/search.asp
http://www.monitorware.com/en/events/

You must have the # and the correct Source. Description follows this. Look for Error at same time the app shut down.

I think your McAfee package has an element in it that stops rogue diallers running - before ADSL there used to be a trojan that did this and dialled out on premium rate lines.
Let us know what you find.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back