Me.ga is new home for MegaUpload, launches 01/19/13

Rick

Staff

Kim Dotcom and friends are making good on their promise to revive MegaUpload. The popular file sharing destination was abruptly shut down by U.S. officials earlier this year and Kim Dotcom's New Zealand mansion raided by American and New Zealand authorities. Me.ga will be the new home for MegaUpload's upcoming replacement and is scheduled to launch January 19.

Me.ga represents a fundamental change in tactics by Dotcom, who for years allowed users to upload anything to MegaUpload in plain sight and with few restrictions. In the past, to satisfy authorities, MegaUpload frequently responded to DMCA takedown notices; however, that practice proved insufficient to protect the service and its owners from legal woes. 

To work around these troubles, Me.ga will attempt to obfuscate files by utilizing AES encryption. Dotcom hopes to conceal the contents of uploaded files from himself and Mega's staff members. Ideally, this ensures everyone but the uploader (and those whom the uploader shares access with) remain ignorant of the content Mega hosts. "You hold the keys to what you store in the cloud, not us," claims the upcoming website.

One of the accusations made against Dotcom in his legal battle was that he knew MegaUpload was being used to host illegal content. If ignorance of file contents can be used as an effective legal defense, then it seems Dotcom's plan may shift the legal burden to uploaders.

Additional steps Dotcom is taking to keep Mega (and its users) safe includes hosting the site and its files on severs and with companies located outside the U.S. The website will also be mirrored across multiple servers spanning multiple locales ensuring disruptions in service (I.e. disasters, server raids) don't interfere with its operation. These locations are said to have laws which Mega will be in full compliance with, under its current plans.

Permalink to story.

"includes hosting the site and its files on severs and with companies located outside the U.S. The website will also be mirrored across multiple servers spanning multiple locales ensuring disruptions in service (I.e. disasters, server raids) don't interfere with its operation. These locations are said to have laws which Mega will be in full compliance with, under its current plans."

Is this somewhat similar to TPB? lol

Good luck to him... although if people start using his site to trade illegal material again, he's going to have a hard time claiming ignorance of the content. If users know what's there, then the admins must too.

Also, users might be wary knowing that the last time people used this service all their data was lost in the legal process.

What does MEGA offer that Dropbox, Skydrive, Google cloud whatever or Apple's cloud don't offer (besides illegal content, that is)

The sad part is this...... Ignorance of the law is no defence. All a investigator has to do is go to Mega and view whats available. I foresee Mr. Dotcom getting into legal trouble again. And this time its prolly going to stick. He is blaintantly giving the Internet/MPAA/RIAA the middle finger. I applaude his brass ones, but he is just looking for trouble.

Good luck to him... although if people start using his site to trade illegal material again, he's going to have a hard time claiming ignorance of the content. If users know what's there, then the admins must too.

Also, users might be wary knowing that the last time people used this service all their data was lost in the legal process.

What does MEGA offer that Dropbox, Skydrive, Google cloud whatever or Apple's cloud don't offer (besides illegal content, that is)
We'll probably find out sometime next year unless early video previews surface. Illegal content isn't offered by the other services? :p

I hear putlocker and rapidshare are starting to get more popular now. I think rapidshare is allowed full speed, or near full speed downloads. I've been hearing about limited download speeds for the last few months from different people.

Maybe he can encrypt his FAT to the cloud and look like a normal fit human. Now THAT would be technological advancement.

I hope they trhow away the key on KimDotFat.

I don't know if dotcom's defense is a fail but in the philippines, you could not use the defense you did not know anything.

for example, if you lease a property and that property was used by drug syndicates to manufacture illegal drugs, or used in illegal activities, then the owner, the renters, and anyone on the premises can be held liable and accountable.

however. the big fish are always let go either by lost evidence or improper police handling of evidence.
at times, the big fish magically disappear.
sometimes, summoned police officials would not attend inquests/hearings/trials.

Its very good news. However, I have the feeling that the United States government (and others) are going to be watching that site way too closely. So, I will wait a while before I use it.

Yes, very good news.
Actually, the good news are that USA can't impose its pretention of being a world wide police.
Its very good news. However, I have the feeling that the United States government (and others) are going to be watching that site way too closely. So, I will wait a while before I use it.
Another good news is that I don't care about USA government.

Maybe he can encrypt his FAT to the cloud and look like a normal fit human. Now THAT would be technological advancement.
So much hate... perhaps the government should discover massive destruction weapon in the country where this guy is going to live and declare a war based on that, don't you think?

All a investigator has to do is go to Mega and view whats available.

And if that happens all they will see is an encrypted file in which the uploader has the only key. Sure they can try and go after the uploader, but mega will not be responsible for what people upload.

Another good news is that I don't care about USA government.

So much hate... perhaps the government should discover massive destruction weapon in the country where this guy is going to live and declare a war based on that, don't you think?
Because he's a Weapon of Massive Disrespect? I think the U.S. authorities already took care of nailing that status without any help from Dotcom.

Very interesting stuff, time will tell I suppose, lots of people watching closely that's for sure!
He certainly is made of strong stuff!

Back