Memory Issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

andy06shake

Can anyone help please. I have just purchased 4 1Gb Kingston DDR2 667Mhz PC2-5300 CL5 memory sims for my mainboard an ASUS P5N32-E SLI. However i can only get the board to see 2 of the sims instead of 4. When i insert all 4 sims the bios(Revision 1404) dosent even post, if i insert 3 of the sims the bios begins to post and then fails. 2 sims works fine(2Gb Duel Channel mode). The memory is on the ASUS QVL list so i cant seem to figure out why the board cant see all 4 sims can anyone help as ASUS hasent even got back to me? I know Vista 32 can only see 3.5Gb but if i can get the bios and board to work i can install a 64bit os.

I thought about that, i have tested all 4 sims by swapping them out, all 4 sims work fine when only 2 are inserted. Also i dont see how i can be inserting them in the wrong housing because there are only 4 DDR2 memory ports on the board 2 blue & 2 white. i have 2 sims in the blue memory ports(Duel Channel). but when i insert the other 2 sims no bios post. Please Help?

Please reset your CMOS (also known as BIOS or setup) to defaults

When you first start your computer, you should notice writing on screen stating Press DEL (or F2 or some other key) to get into CMOS settings.

Once in Cmos (and using your arrow and Tab keys)
Locate Setup Defaults (label may be different)
Load defaults
Save and Exit (usually F10)
Then shutdown again
And try the Ram again

Have u checked to see if that mem. is on the approved list for the ASUS P5N32-E SLI, asus mobos are particular about mem. and lots have problems if the mem is not on the approved list. the list should be in the mobo manual, if not it can be found on asus site.

Ok i have reset the CMOS by jumper and by removing the battery for 4 mins. Also i have set Load Default in the bios(1404). Still can only get the board to see 2 sims. The memory is on the ASUS QVL list. I can mount 2Gb in duel channel in both blue and white ports, i can mount 2Gb single channel mode, 1Gb in white 1Gb in blue. But i still cannot get the system to post the bios with any more than 2 memory sims inserted. Can anyone think of anything?

Have you got the latest revision of Bios installed?
Just go to your Motherboard's support page, and check what the latest revision is
Then restart your computer, and check what yours states

Or just download the most current bios update and install it (in Floppy boot mode, or CD boot if you don't have a floppy drive)

That's what I'd do
Oh, I'd also check with the manufacture (of your motherboard) if those specific Ram cards are ok with that Motherboard (yes that could be it)

The memory is on the ASUS QVL list, My Bios is upto date, The memory sims work individualy. I have reset my CMOS and loaded defaults. Still no change the board refuses to boot with all 4 sims in place. Works fine with 2. Asus sujested installing a 64bit OS(Vista Ultimate 64) and then inserting the remaining sims. I cant see how this would work because fist the bios wont even post with 4 sims inserted and second, shouldent a 32bit OS(Vista Ultimate 32) just see 3.5Gb. Anybody got any more advise?

I wonder if there's a setting in CMOS (ie Bios) that allows dual channel or not
Also I wonder if your Motherboard manual states to jumper something onboard

I'm thinking still :confused:

Still not seeing it!

Thanx for trying to help me Kimsland, because you/i seem to know more about this stuff than the person whom is trying to help me at ASUS. Still cant get the board to see all 4 1Gb sims. I might have 2 other 512Mb PC2-5300 sims somewhere do u think i could used these so that the board sees 3Gb my only resivations on this is that allthough the memory has the same frequency and code num(PC2-5300) it is only 512Mb and the other 2 sims are 1Gb?

Oh yeh i cant see anything about jumper configuration regarding the DDR2 ports in the manual so i dont think it that.

It's worth it, just for testing (it will eliminate your Ram as fault - Although, I know, it has been tested fully, and also working properly when installed with one other)

But just to be doubly, doubly certain :)
ie if you get 3Gigs, working then... then... Hmm, don't try to think about that, it'll make you go crazy! Just let me know what happens

According to logic the 4 cards (1gig; 1gig; 512meg; 512meg) together should not work. (in this unknown, fault condition)

Don't know if this has already been mentioned. But the limit for a 32 bit OS is 3GB - i believe it's ALL the memory in your comp is up to 4GB including the mem in your graphics card, etc.

I have 4GB on my computer of RAM and 512MB on my graphics card, but i had to install Windows XP Pro 64Bit edition to make use of all the RAM.

Kind regards,
Scott

Thanks scott,

No that's not the issue

If you put even 8gig !! into this computer it will still work
Although I agree it will only show 3.5 (or what ever it is)
But... it will still boot up

Thanks scott,

No that's not the issue

If you put even 8gig !! into this computer it will still work
Although I agree it will only show 3.5 (or what ever it is)
But... it will still boot up

Thats true, it will still boot. But it's pointless having so much RAM if you can't use it.

But his problem is the board cant see all the ram... not that it can't boot.

Kind regards,
Scott

HELP PLEASE im freak'n out here!

The board boots just fine with 2Gb DDR2 Duel channel/Single Channel. The bios is up to date. Im going to try 2 512Mb and 2 1Gb PC2-5300 sims soon as i can prise my gf from the other rig but i dont c that working coz this board is very strict with memory requirments(needs to be 2 matching pairs supposedly, dont know why coz my other ASUS board has 2 1GB sims and 2 512Mb sims of DDR2 not even same frequency!). ASUS cant tell me squat! The guy im talking to at ASUS should stick to chinese puzzels, coz he dont know squat about comps, or is just trying to be really vague. This is really a pain as i require more RAM for my more memory intensive games. Really dont know why Memory on the ASUS QVL list that is 100% tested and working should function in such a manner. Any other thoughts most welcome!

I'm waiting on you re: the ram x 4

Also, I should mention that although this is a difficult one to sort out, Xp will only use 2gig max (yes 2 gig, no more!)
This is because on each single process (that can only happen once) the maximum amount of ram usage is 2gig (actually I can't remember the exact definition) But I know it's maximum 2gig

So we are not trying to get more system ram
This is really a pain as i require more RAM for my more memory intensive games
We are trying to solve the issue of the Motherboard not seeing all 4 Ram cards (being 4gig, although I'm waiting, patiently for the 3 gig (4x) combination

Will try the 3Gb soon as i get back from Azda, i need to fill my fridge. Thanz for helping Kimsland. B back soon.

I'll be offline for ~6hrs approx

I welcome other support replies too, but I'm positive I can work this out on my own too, with you

Kimsland your advise has been spot on mate. I have tried inserting the 2 512Mb sims, fine on there own and when paired. But when i insert the other 2 1Gb sims the bios begins to post and then fails and requires a CMOS reset and the 2 other 1Gb sims removed to post again. Asus has been no help what so ever. Tekheads where i purchased the board sujested a bios upgrade(I have never herd the like. If that dont invalidate your warenty i dont know what does!). Dione that same result. Im going to try contacting Kingston and see what they say. Untill then any other thoughts on the matter would be great. Obviusly i need to get this working on a 32bit OS before i purchase a 64bit OS.

Yes RMA the motherboard if it's under warranty
For some reason (possibly power distribution related), the board does not seem to be able to accept 4 Ram cards.

To fully prove this, you would need to take the 1Gig cards out of the equation fully
Do you happen to have another couple of Ram cards?

No but now that you bring up power i only have a 570W Pro PSU Duel Fan. The power conector on the board is 8pin conection but the power lead coming from the PSU has only a 4 pin conection that is inserted in to the 8pin conector leaving the 4 pins on the left unused on the 8pin conector. I was assured when i purchased the board that this was fine. I have full CPU funtionalaty and dont seem incur power shortages. Sandrasoft reports that the power is fine. What do u think could this be the cause of my memory compatability issue? When i run the power rating program at ASUS.com it reports i have sufficent power.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back