Messed up reinstallation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Please can someone help- I'm a relative newbie and I seem to have messed up.
I have two hard drives in my PC. I kept the smaller one from my old PC and made it the slave drive.
Everything has worked fine until I got a virus and decided to do a clean reinstall of XP.
Although I thought I'd followed some instructions I found properly - I obviously haven't. It looks as if I've installed it twice.
When I boot up, now I get the black screen asking me which operating system to start and XP is listed twice. If I click the top one, I can't connect to the internet and Device Manager shows a yellow question mark next to the Ethernet Controller, PCI Device, Unknown device and video controller.
If I click the bottom one, I can connect OK and Device Manager doesn't show any problems.
The smaller (old) drive is now shown as the 'C' drive and the larger new one is the 'D' drive.
Also can't now get any of my media files to play audio. Keeps telling me there's a problem with my sound device.
Please excuse my limited knowledge. I hope one of you talented guys can point me in the right direction!
Thanks,
Dave.

>> How to edit the Boot.ini file in Windows XP

Basically you need to delete the top line that doesn't work in the Boot.ini file
So it looks similar to this:
[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect
I say, "similar", only because yours may actually say:
multi(0)disk(1)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
Which is obviously still incorrect

You need to physically remove the 2nd Hard Drive
Then install Windows clean again on the first HardDrive only
Here's a guide: (please select your Windows version)

Microsoft's Windows XP Professional Repair Install step by step (* Including Delete Partition) http://www.windowsxpprofessional.windowsreinstall.com/sp2sp3installxpcdoldhdd/indexfullpage.htm

Microsoft's Windows XP Home Repair Install step by step (* Including Delete Partition) http://www.windowsxphome.windowsreinstall.com/sp2sp3installxpcdoldhdd/indexfullpage.htm

* Warning deleting the Partition will remove all User data and Windows system files

-------------------------

Once Windows XP is all back installed, you need to update to SP3 at Windows Updates
And then install all your drivers (Info HERE)

-------------------------

Then you can re-mount the 2nd Hard Drive ;)

Thanks a millon. I think I can cope with that! I'll do it as soon as I can. I've already backed up all my files on both drives, so should all be OK.

Thank you so much for your help, which is really appreciated.
Did everything as you suggested. Took me a while to reinstall everything but all is working brilliantly now!
Dave.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back