Microsoft adds video encoding API to DirectX 12

Daniel Sims

Staff
In brief: Microsoft announced this week that it added a new API to DirectX 12 that will support video encoding. The new set of interfaces will give Windows users a consistent framework for encoding videos.

Microsoft explained the new API’s features and requirements on Wednesday. Video encoding joins APIs for features like video decoding, video processing, and motion estimation, which Microsoft had previously implemented.

The video encoding API supports H.264 and HEVC (H.265) codecs. Due to driver requirements, users will have to query for each codec and its encoding tools with ID3D12VideoDevice::CheckFeatureSupport. It’s also up to users to handle the other bitstream codec headers like SEI, VUI, VPS, SPS, or PPS.

Microsoft provides plenty of documentation for using the API in its explanation, including detailed interface definitions and design details.

The API comes with Windows 11, but you can also get it from the DirectX 12 Agility SDK with version 1.700.10-preview or newer.

It supports CPUs going back to Tiger Lake and Ryzeon 2000 and GPUs starting with the Ryzen RX 5000s and the GTX 10 series (including the Quadro RTX). Users will need to have either Intel video driver version 30.0.100.9955 or Nvidia driver version 471.41. The required AMD driver is still in development but is expected to arrive in the second quarter of next year.

Permalink to story.

I welcome the feature - let's see how it performs in real life. I'm also eager to see if this new API will bring or enable quality improvements (so far HB on CPU seems to be the only option for me). So, let's see :)

I know the latest gen GPUs have support for decoding, but is there a consumer GPU that has official hardware accelerated encoding?
While software support is usually grafted in later, the AV1 standard I believe was codified in 2019. 2020 and thereafter, hardware support should have been a given. Especially since AV1 isn't rife with patent issues like AVC is. The MPEG group should modify their bylaws away from the patent regime or Big Tech's control of the economy. Can't always give Google credit for they are Big Tech, but a blind squirrel finds a nut every once in a while. Open source is the way forward and an economy can still be built upon it despite greedy corporations claims.

While software support is usually grafted in later, the AV1 standard I believe was codified in 2019. 2020 and thereafter, hardware support should have been a given. Especially since AV1 isn't rife with patent issues like AVC is. The MPEG group should modify their bylaws away from the patent regime or Big Tech's control of the economy. Can't always give Google credit for they are Big Tech, but a blind squirrel finds a nut every once in a while. Open source is the way forward and an economy can still be built upon it despite greedy corporations claims.
hardware support was added for decoding this gen, but we still don't have encoding. maybe next generation. these things usually take a few years to be implemented.

Back