Microsoft admits snooping on blogger's Hotmail account to find Windows 8 leak

Himanshu Arora

Staff

Just a couple of days after an ex-Microsoft employee was arrested by the FBI for stealing and leaking copies of Windows 8, the software giant is caught up in a privacy storm after it admitted that it searched through an unknown French blogger’s Hotmail/Outlook inbox to crack the identity of the perpetrators.

The revelation has left Microsoft red-faced because it has condemned Google for the same reasons in the past. The company last year launched a Scroogled campaign that mocked Gmail's privacy. Microsoft, however, says that the examination was legal because the company’s privacy policy gives it the right to access private information stored on its communication services, to protect the property of the company or its customers.

In the case, Microsoft accused former employee Alex Kibkalo of leaking the Windows 8 source code to a French blogger, prior to its release. While investigating the case, the company snooped on the blogger's Hotmail emails and instant messages, and found that he did receive confidential information from Kibkalo.

Soon after the revelation, Microsoft released a statement saying that the company would take several new steps to reassure users that their communications will be private.

According to Microsoft vice president and deputy general counsel John E. Frank, in the future, if Microsoft has any evidence of wrongdoing against it, the company will submit that evidence to an outside lawyer who is a former judge, and would conduct a search of private communications only if the judge concluded there was enough evidence to meet the standards for a court order.

Permalink to story.

What I.diot would steal from Microsoft and email that stuff to a Hotmail account in the first place? I mean, come on! You've got to be pretty stupid.

That's like robbing a bank and the next day depositing all that money back into the same bank.
Except less noticeable of course.

At least use a different email service that Microsoft doesn't host if your going to email stolen Microsoft stuff.

What I.diot would steal from Microsoft and email that stuff to a Hotmail account in the first place? I mean, come on! You've got to be pretty stupid.

That's like robbing a bank and the next day depositing all that money back into the same bank.

At least use a different email service that Microsoft doesn't host if your going to email stolen Microsoft stuff.
That was exactly what I was thinking XD

"Soon after the revelation, Microsoft released a statement saying that the company would take several new steps to reassure users that their communications will be private."

Lol, sure Microsoft, sure.

Maybe at this point, you will have more confidentiality by sending snail mail to people in Sumerian.

Well I wouldn't say they do not his with everyone but a quick read through the licence agreement confirmed it. Privacy on the internet doesn't exsist so why flip out over it in this case.

Microsoft admits snooping on blogger's Hotmail account to find Windows 8 leak? .. so Microsoft illegality accept to people Email?. so I guess using my hacking skill and view Email its ok?..since Microsoft do it I guess is fine to do it as well.

Microsoft admits snooping on blogger's Hotmail account to find Windows 8 leak? .. so Microsoft illegality accept to people Email?. so I guess using my hacking skill and view Email its ok?..since Microsoft do it I guess is fine to do it as well.
It's legal because users agree to Microsoft's invasion when they accept the EULA. You do not have the same protection as Microsoft when you hack into someone's email.

I say it's actually smart of Microsoft that they found the guy legally.

Whether MS, Google, Yahoo, etc. E-mail is free. If it is free don't expect to be private. whether for snooping or monetizing, they all look at your E-mail.

If you want your communications to be secure send it in code via snail mail.

Let's face it, there are almost NO regulations governing the Internet.

the kind of I .diot that thinks Hotmail and live.com email services are safe since 'everyone' else has migrated to outlook.com email service?

Whether MS, Google, Yahoo, etc. E-mail is free. If it is free don't expect to be private. whether for snooping or monetizing, they all look at your E-mail.

If you want your communications to be secure send it in code via snail mail.

Let's face it, there are almost NO regulations governing the Internet.
but it is so much easier to bribe the local postman. :)

Back