Microsoft brings Solitaire Collection to Android and iOS

Jos

Anyone who has been in the Windows ecosystem at some point in the past couple of decades likely has played a little Solitaire. The game was first included in Windows 3.0 back in 1990 as a way to familiarize users with many aspects of a graphical user interface, and has been bundled with nearly every version of Windows since — it was removed from Windows 8 but still available as a free download on the Windows Store. Microsoft brought it back for Windows 10 with a new “Solitaire Collection” that includes the classic game along with a few other variants. Now, that game bundle is available on Android and iOS.

Microsoft’s new Solitaire app for iOS and Android includes five games that you can play for free: Klondike, Spider, FreeCell, Pyramid, and Tripeaks game types. It also includes daily challenges for all five games that give players badges and rewards, and integrates with Xbox Live for achievements and more.

While the game is free (ad-supported), a “Premium Edition” of the Solitaire Collection is available for $1.99 and will get rid of in-game advertising, as well as doubling what coin rewards players receive for completing the daily challenges. If you download the collection before December 31, however, you'll enjoy a free one-month Premium Edition subscription for the game.

While Microsoft’s Solitaire Collection will be available outside of Windows for the first time, a quick search on Apple’s App Store or Google Play reveals there are countless versions of the game already available.

Sure, it’s not groundbreaking stuff, but a milestone for what has been called “the most-used Windows application in the world.” The most recent official numbers claim more than 119 million unique players on Windows 10 and Windows 8 PC and mobile devices in the last four years alone.

Permalink to story.

...because office workers couldn't figure out how to waste a day...

This game alone represents an infinite waste drain for both private and government money over many years. In my mind, it is a waste of time personified, like that flappy bird.

Last edited:
How sweet of M$. I've been contemplating buying an i7 6950X and a couple of Titan X's (Pascal) so that I could play it in Win 10 smoothly, now I don't have to seeing that it'll come to Android sometime.
I played Solitaire so much in Win 3.x that I'm still sick of it.

Sweet memories
back in '96 (lol - 20 years), assembled my first PC - K5/100
my mom was on Solitaire every minute I wasn't on the PC
15 years ago, she moved from hand drawing to ACAD
so, the Solitaire just changed her life forever

Back