Microsoft ends support for Windows Vista SP1

Emil

Staff

As planned, Microsoft today ended support for Windows Vista Service Pack 1. This means the software giant will no longer provide any assisted support or security updates. Windows Vista users are thus encouraged to upgrade to Service Pack 2, or move to Windows 7 altogether.

Windows Vista was released on January 1, 2007. SP1 followed on February 4, 2008 and SP2 followed on April 29, 2009. Support for SP2 will end 24 months after SP3 is released (if ever) or at the end of Windows Vista's support lifecycle, whichever comes first.

For most of its software, Microsoft provides Mainstream Support, followed by Extended Support, and finishes with just Self-Help Online Support. Mainstream Support for Windows Vista is scheduled to end April 10, 2012 while Extended Support will end five years after that, on April 11, 2017.

Interestingly, there is no Extended Support for Home Basic, Home Basic N, or Home Premium. As a result, these editions will have no more support after April 10, 2012. Meanwhile, Business, Business N, and Enterprise users will get five more years. Since it is very unlikely that Microsoft will release a third service pack for Windows Vista, right now it looks like support for the operating system will end for business users less than six years from now.

Before then though, we'll see Windows XP die off. Microsoft ended Mainstream Support for Windows XP on April 14, 2009. The software giant has scheduled to end Extended Support on April 8, 2014. This date affects all versions of XP (except for Embedded): Home Edition, Media Center Edition 2002, Media Center Edition 2004, Media Center Edition 2005, Professional, Tablet PC Edition, and Tablet PC Edition 2005.

Permalink to story.

It's odd that this infact does seem to apply to WinXP x64 SP2 aswell (end-date April 8, 2014)
Because Windows Server 2003 x64 which is the very same OS (Uses same service pack files and hotfixes) ends it's support on July 14 2015.
I guess for the holdouts it will be possible to just download those updates for the server edition and apply to the client, completely untested of course...

I have Vista Ultimate

when does support end for me
After SP1 vista is not at all bad. I been using this for years never had a problem, I will upgrade to Windows 7 if I can get a good student deal when I start uni.

^^ Just apply Vista SP2 unless you specifically want to upgrade to Windows 7. I ran Vista Ultimate on two machines and after a couple of initial hardware compatibility issues were resolved never had any further problems.

gobbybobby said:
I have Vista Ultimate

when does support end for me
After SP1 vista is not at all bad. I been using this for years never had a problem, I will upgrade to Windows 7 if I can get a good student deal when I start uni.

Funny you mention that.

Techspot posted an article yesterday about some online tech deals. One of them was an upgrade to Windows 7 Professional for only 30 bucks. You need an .edu e-mail address to apply. Better check it out: http://www.microsoft.com/student/en...spx?siteID=NKa3hZyYoHA-AiXsv1gS9doVc_yfS2Sexw

So my vista support will end for my custom computer built 2 years ago in 2012 and my xp support for an 11 year old computer will end in 2014!? Sounds like they need Bill Gates back. My proposition is that everyone in high school take a course in logic.

tonylukac said:
So my vista support will end for my custom computer built 2 years ago in 2012 and my xp support for an 11 year old computer will end in 2014!? Sounds like they need Bill Gates back. My proposition is that everyone in high school take a course in logic.
Since more people use XP then vista, they really are being logical.

If you made the upgrade from XP to Vista, it's almost like you're being punished for doing so.

If you made the upgrade from XP to Vista, it's almost like you're being punished for doing so.

There's no precedent I can remember where Microsoft has ever done this in the past. Bad form, hopefully this is not something we will see again with Windows 7 or subsequent versions.

My current operating system is Windows Vista Home Premium SP1, been using it for 3 years with no problems. Windows 7 Here I come!!!!!!

Well, at the core of this statement by M$, Vista users are being forced to upgrade to Vista SP-2, not buy a new OS entirely.

M$ certainly discontinued for XP SP-2 long ago, and further support depends on XP users installing SP-3 to keep the "thrill" alive, so to speak.

As far as support for Vista not having the extended life cycle that XP does, perhaps M$ is getting even for all the rude things we've all said about it. Accordingly, this is one of those circumstances residing under the umbrella of, "be careful what you wish for, you just might get it".

At the end of the day, the observation could be made that Win XP was almost, "too good". It prevented M$ from selling a good many OS licenses until Windows 7 was released. And whether we like it or not, M$ is in business to sell software.

I suppose if anybody really takes this to heart, there's always Mac. (Just kidding).

Most people will upgrade to win 7 anyway and more people use XP over vista, so from an MS point of view, its not that big of a deal. Plus Vista isnt all of a sudden going to stop working on April 10, 2012, its simply not going to be supported.

hi , i was advised by microsoft to leave xp and move on to vista, now support for consumer versions of vista will end on april 2012 but consumer versions of xp will get support to april 2014, i was better of staying with xp ( support wise ) how about a refund for my expense to move to vista for nothing.

Back