Microsoft exclusive game Scalebound has been canceled

Scorpus

Staff member

Earlier today, we published a list of our most anticipated PC games of 2017. Microsoft-exclusive title Scalebound, which was set for release this year on Xbox One and PC, featured on this list as its dragon-fueled RPG action seemed interesting and unique. Just hours after our article was published, Microsoft canceled Scalebound.

Microsoft released the following statement regarding the cancellation:

After careful deliberation, Microsoft Studios has come to the decision to end production for Scalebound. We're working hard to deliver an amazing lineup of games to our fans this year, including Halo Wars 2, Crackdown 3, State of Decay 2, Sea of Thieves and other great experiences.

Eurogamer received information suggesting Microsoft and Scalebound developer PlatinumGames had parted ways before the end of 2016. "Continuing issues surrounding the game's engine and overdue deadlines" caused the relationship between Microsoft and PlatinumGames to deteriorate, culminating in the cancellation of Scalebound.

Scalebound has been in development for several years, having first appeared at Microsoft's E3 2014 press briefing. The game was originally slated for launch in the 2016 holiday period, but was delayed early last year to 2017. The last time Scalebound appeared publicly was at Gamescom in August 2016, where gameplay footage was revealed.

PlatinumGames is now left with just one major launch in 2017 – Nier: Automata – which is scheduled for release on March 7th. Microsoft's Xbox exclusive release schedule is also affected by this cancellation, and while games like Sea of Thieves and Crackdown 3 look promising, Scalebound could have been a great addition to their line-up.

Permalink to story.

Why is it that every game that features dragon riding inevitably comes to a bad end? It either a bungled launch, turns into vaporware or is just a totally awful game.

What's the matter MS? The profits from mining and selling the private data of Windows 10 users not as high as you expected?

Damn shame that is. You know, if you could just somehow infect more people with 10, you could make use of the economy of Scale. But it seems you're bound to fail. Maybe you're scalebound.

Anyway Techspot, you should update your list with what the next anticipated game would then be. You could also just add Mass Effect twice, seeing as we'll likely see the game split between Steam and Origin as usual, wherein half the DLC is only available on Origin and if you bought it on Steam you're screwed. That counts for two, right?

What's the matter MS? The profits from mining and selling the private data of Windows 10 users not as high as you expected?

Damn shame that is. You know, if you could just somehow infect more people with 10, you could make use of the economy of Scale. But it seems you're bound to fail. Maybe you're scalebound.

Anyway Techspot, you should update your list with what the next anticipated game would then be. You could also just add Mass Effect twice, seeing as we'll likely see the game split between Steam and Origin as usual, wherein half the DLC is only available on Origin and if you bought it on Steam you're screwed. That counts for two, right?
Mining and selling data LOL ... in what world do you live in where that doesn't happen by ALL manufacturers. You'd have to be living under a rock if you didn't know that one.

ME having a limited Steam is nothing new. There have been a few games the last few months that have had that happen, even the latest Call of Duty had the same issue just if you bought it from MS store, where the Steam version was the version everyone plays. So to your question no, there will not be 2 on the list.

People should know what they are buying. It's not like the info is hidden. If anything, what a month to get a idea if a game is worth buying.

Dang, this was one of the games that I would've bought day one.
I can't imagine what went wrong that they'd be willing to cancel an "almost complete" game with so much promise...

Platinum must have wanted to delay it again or didn't want to rework it for scorpio to have better graphics.

I personally think its great news as a pc gamer. I wont get another applaing console port and I wont have to the use the even worst windows store

Dissapointing. but based on the fact they never revealed actual gameplay, and were moot on gameplay mechanics, it most likely was not fun/far too complicated to play, and twas thus shut down.

Back