Microsoft has a new mission statement, and it doesn't shy away from ambition

dkpope

Staff

In a company email sent on Thursday, Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella outlines a revised vision for the company and introduces a new mission statement: “to empower every person and every organization on the planet to achieve more.”

The email, obtained by GeekWire, serves as a type of rallying cry for the company after much has shifted in the past year. Nadella admits that the mission is ambitious but believes "magical things" can happen when the company is unified under the same goals.

"We have unique capability in harmonizing the needs of both individuals and organizations. This is in our DNA."

He calls for reinvention of productivity services so people can work across all devices, powered by the cloud. There's also an increased focus on gaming, with a plan to bring together Xbox Live and first-party gaming efforts across PC, console, mobile and new categories like HoloLens into one integrated play.

It has been a tumultuous time for Microsoft, with Nadella annoucing organizational changes as well as the departure of four top executives last week. This new email is being used as an opportunity to invigorate and inform the company's worldwide employees.

The new mission statement is more streamlined than the previous one introduced in 2013, which was: "to create a family of devices and services for individuals and businesses that empower people around the globe at home, at work and on the go, for the activities they value most."

After reading the email, it's difficult to not get a little excited. Nadella's energy is palpable and his efforts to imbue it into his employees undeniable.

"We are in an incredible position to seize new growth this year," Nadella concludes. "We will need to innovate in new areas, execute against our plans, make some tough choices in areas where things are not working and solve hard problems in ways that drive customer value."

Permalink to story.

tumblr_m3z0qzHHJi1qhxqfro1_1280.jpg

"We have unique capability in harmonizing the needs of both individuals and organizations. This is in our DNA."

I guess their "DNA" revolted against them with the release of Win 8/8.1??

You know, if they just took a page out of the old play book of every successful corporation that has lasted over 50 years; the one that states "customer satisfaction is our mission, our only mission" they might actually impress a few folks ..... but .....

You know, if they just took a page out of the old play book of every successful corporation that has lasted over 50 years; the one that states "customer satisfaction is our mission, our only mission" they might actually impress a few folks ..... but .....

Na, it still seems like Microsoft is going with the cocky statement instead. It reads off like they are trying to convince themselves that they really do harmonize customer and business needs when in reality they mash both side's feet.

Windows 10 on my MacBook. Screen was really low brightness on full brightness setting. Had to google. Found brightness can have "automatically adjust" setting. Went to control panel and found energy modes and brightness. Nothing.

Remembered it was windows 8 and there was a second dumbed down settings panel in the modern UI. Found automatic brightness adjustment and turned it off.

Facepalmed.

Sorry what was this about?

"with a plan to bring together Xbox Live and first-party gaming efforts across PC, console, mobile and new categories like HoloLens into one integrated play."
For the love of god, leave pc gaming alone. We couldn't give a flying fornication about the Xbox live crap.

"After reading the email, it's difficult to not get a little excited."
Really? If marketing weasel words like these gets you excited, I feel sorry for you. (I'm guessing Techspot earns quite a bit of money selling ads for Microsoft.)

"After reading the email, it's difficult to not get a little excited."
Really? If marketing weasel words like these gets you excited, I feel sorry for you. (I'm guessing Techspot earns quite a bit of money selling ads for Microsoft.)

Nah, I'm just a motivational speaking/weasel speak geek. (Yes that's a thing. No I'm not proud of it.) :D

Back