Microsoft is developing an in-game advertising system for free-to-play games

Jimmy2x

Staff
In brief: Microsoft is actively working on new tools to enable developers to embed and sell in-game advertising space. While advertising in mobile gaming is nothing new, the offering would specifically target console (and potentially PC) players in free-to-play games. Microsoft has no intention to take a piece of the new ad revenue but instead focuses on building out a strong network and platform to provide more opportunities for free-to-play game developers to connect with potential advertisers.

Sources close to Microsoft recently told Business Insider that the new feature would provide a marketplace for ad placement companies to work closely with developers to secure space and place ads in free-to-play titles. The move would expand Xbox's in-game advertising model, historically limited to Xbox dashboard ads or specialized ads purchased and placed through third parties.

Despite its intent to increase advertising, Microsoft claims it understands potential user concerns. It will look for ways to incorporate the new advertising model without upsetting users with overly intrusive advertisements.

The concept of in-game advertising is certainly nothing new. Some of the earliest in-game advertisements date back to gaming's humble beginnings back in the late 1970s and early 1980s. The practice has since evolved, moving away from Adventureland's black and white text to more direct, visually appealing approaches to engage hard-to-reach audiences. Today's advertising model has evolved into a much more sophisticated system that isn't solely reliant upon product-centric titles or static images.

In addition to technical advances, in-game advertising practices have experienced a significant surge due to pandemic-related gaming becoming a go-to social function for millions worldwide. Users are typically provided with an opportunity to earn in-game currency or items in exchange for viewing advertising videos or clicking on specific advertisement links. Some platforms, such as playerWON, provide hands-on and, at times, intrusive in-game advertisements or commercials. Others, such as Anzu, are attempting to take a more subtle and less-intrusive approach by selling advertising space such as billboards and backdrops in the game environment.

The Redmond-based technology giant's recent moves support speculation that the company is interested in developing an extensive advertising network and platform. The recent steps to purchase Activision adds a ready-built advertising network to the company's portfolio. The company also acquired AT&T's former advertising marketplace, Xandr, in December of last year.

Sources close to Business Insider expect that the new advertising capability will be live and available by Q3 2022. Microsoft has not officially confirmed or denied the plans, stating, "We are always looking for ways to improve the experience for players and developers, but we don't have anything further to share."

Permalink to story.

Microsoft has no intention to take a piece of the new ad revenue

That might be one of Microsoft's biggest lies yet and just think about how much of a tall order that makes it.

Sorry but the same company that broke it's own promise of Windows 10 being the last ever version of Windows just so they could sell targeted ads integrated into the OS elements and help their hardware partners by artificially blocking upgrades is not exactly giving me much confidence in this statement above

This doesn’t actually bother me like forced 30 second ads on online videos does. Currently we have this sort of advertising in film and it’s not intrusive. In fact it could add to the immersion to see real life brands appearing in video games.

Reminds me of burnout paradise for PC many many years ago. local McDelivery phone numbers right on the in-game billboard.

I guess I'm okay with subtle, non-intrusive or static ads located in the right place. these days though, it's mostly flashy or noisy ads to catch your attention. don't blame me for using adblock

"We are always looking for ways to improve the experience for players and developers, but we don't have anything further to share."
What a crock of shat. This doesnt improve a damn thing for players, and developers will abuse the hell out of this to print even more money, like every other commercialization option introduced to games in the last 12 years.

It's just typical corporate backwards words BS where you can ensure they are doing the EXACT OPPOSITE of what they claim they are doing.
This doesn’t actually bother me like forced 30 second ads on online videos does. Currently we have this sort of advertising in film and it’s not intrusive. In fact it could add to the immersion to see real life brands appearing in video games.
I find it so immersive to be advertised to....NOT! It just reminds me that I am the product, and that all this is designed to make even more money for the 1% that are already filthy rich. It is SO blatant in films and gets called out constantly, I cant believe you used that as an example of it being done *WELL*.

What a crock of shat. This doesnt improve a damn thing for players, and developers will abuse the hell out of this to print even more money, like every other commercialization option introduced to games in the last 12 years.

It's just typical corporate backwards words BS where you can ensure they are doing the EXACT OPPOSITE of what they claim they are doing.

I find it so immersive to be advertised to....NOT! It just reminds me that I am the product, and that all this is designed to make even more money for the 1% that are already filthy rich. It is SO blatant in films and gets called out constantly, I cant believe you used that as an example of it being done *WELL*.
I find real life brands more immersive than fake ones. Also advertising companies are not run by the 1%. Also it’s not called out in movies all the time. Nobody questions the brand of car a hero drives.

Your comment is irrational and full of hatred. Maybe you should take a break, get some exercise. Maybe when you come back you will be able to grasp the points people have made here..

Oh good, yet another way for game companies to attempt to squeeze even more money out of their products besides ludicrous cosmetic microtransactions, "battle passes" (ugh), and overpriced DLC. And you can bet that in-game advertisements aren't going to be limited to free-to-play games, either. Once the capability is there, it'll be put into full-priced games as well, just like microtransactions are.

I have almost no interest in modern games, in part because of stuff like this. The majority of my gaming is Wii U-era and earlier Nintendo and the occasional indie game, like A Short Hike.

Back