Microsoft is reportedly working on a cheaper, streaming-focused game console

Polycount

Staff

Microsoft's upcoming next-gen "Project Scarlett" console may be getting all the attention, but a new report from Thurrott claims that the company is also working on a lower-cost, streaming-oriented device -- like targeted at those who can't or won't pay what will likely be a high up-front cost for Scarlett.

According to Thurrott, who was provided with this information by sources within Microsoft, says the key difference between this mystery device and other game streaming systems is that it will take more of a hybrid approach to the concept.

Instead of computing everything in the cloud, the console would handle lower-intensity tasks like collision detection and basic player movement locally, using its own (low-spec) hardware. In theory, this should boost performance overall while also minimizing latency; one of the biggest roadblocks other streaming platforms have faced over time.

So, how much will this mystery console cost? We don't know for sure, but Thurrott predicts it could start at around $60 due to the lack of onboard hardware. With a controller, the device might jump up to $80. For our part, it doesn't seem very likely that Microsoft will let a gaming console -- cloud or otherwise -- go for less than $100 (barring sales), but anything is possible.

We'll simply have to wait and see what the company has up its sleeve over the coming months. If a streaming based console truly is in the works, it would make sense for Microsoft to unveil it sooner rather than later -- perhaps sometime in early 2020.

Permalink to story.

This is not new information. Those rumors came out last year, to dismal reception.

Awesome stuff. I personally can’t wait to ditch the tower for something like an an iPad and stream my games.

Oh and if you’re concerned about latency, 5G should resolve this. Currently 99% of the time latency is caused by the fact that our internet is delivered from the exchange via an old piece of copper hooked up to some cheaply made, 5 year old WiFi router provided to you for free by your coms provider. 5G will subvert all of this and allow direct connection via 5G to the fibre infrastructure.

Awesome stuff. I personally can’t wait to ditch the tower for something like an an iPad and stream my games.

Oh and if you’re concerned about latency, 5G should resolve this. Currently 99% of the time latency is caused by the fact that our internet is delivered from the exchange via an old piece of copper hooked up to some cheaply made, 5 year old WiFi router provided to you for free by your coms provider. 5G will subvert all of this and allow direct connection via 5G to the fibre infrastructure.

You talk like 5G data is going to be free.

NO ONE has suggested that any part of 5G will connect to a fibre infrastructure -- that would make sense, but that has yet to be proven.
What else would they use? Nothing else can handle the bandwidth needed for that much traffic.

Back