Microsoft kicks off Windows 10 countdown with "10 Reasons to Upgrade" video series

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Windows 10 is a little over a week away and the hype train is in full motion. Microsoft on Sunday published a video primarily targeting those that might still be grappling with the idea of upgrading to its new operating system.

The short clip, titled “10 Reasons to Upgrade to Windows 10: IT’S FAMILIAR” (Microsoft’s emphasis, not ours), highlights the fact that Windows 10 combines the best of Window 7 – the Start menu – and Windows 8 – Live tiles – in one package.

The video appears to be the first in a one-a-day series over the next 10 days leading up to the public release of what’s poised to be one of Microsoft’s biggest launches to date (and the first new version of Windows under CEO Satya Nadella).

Found is a TechSpot feature where we share clever, funny or otherwise interesting stuff from around the web.

Permalink to story.

Yeah, Windows 10 <b>literally</b> combines start menu and tiles...exactly what <b>nobody</b> asked for. We wanted tiles on the desktop, ala a new breed of gadgets. The obvious goal is to keep pushing people towards the start screen and limited, dumbed-down mobile apps on the PC. Yeah..not gonna happen. Windows 10 will tank just as bad if not worse than Windows 8 due to Microsoft's obsession with copying all of the competitions <I>worst</I> aspects.

Live tiles are easy to remove from start menu. Right click on a tile and choose "unpin from start".

Yeah, Windows 10 <b>literally</b> combines start menu and tiles...exactly what <b>nobody</b> asked for. We wanted tiles on the desktop, ala a new breed of gadgets. The obvious goal is to keep pushing people towards the start screen and limited, dumbed-down mobile apps on the PC. Yeah..not gonna happen. Windows 10 will tank just as bad if not worse than Windows 8 due to Microsoft's obsession with copying all of the competitions <I>worst</I> aspects.

You are highly mistaken if you think Windows 10 is going to tank. It's Microsoft's best OS yet.

Now, now, psycros. It's been tested by more than 5 million Insiders. You just don't know that you'll like it yet.

Should be a very nice upgrade.

The Trolls of Butt-Hurt are plentiful though.
Ignore them ...

I'm excited for Windows 10, as someone who hated and completely skipped windows 8, im hoping 10 is the upgrade I'v been waiting for. I will admit if it wasn't free I wouldn't get it, not even for $10 because windows 7 is that good. My only fear is that all the stupid squares being animated and such will have an effect on games I play.

What is your definition of tank? I really enjoy win8 and 8.1 because it's been proven to be faster and more stable than win7. It's simple and easy to use even this 3 years old had no problem with it . https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dlZgcAacIxU

I'm excited for Windows 10, as someone who hated and completely skipped windows 8, im hoping 10 is the upgrade I'v been waiting for. I will admit if it wasn't free I wouldn't get it, not even for $10 because windows 7 is that good. My only fear is that all the stupid squares being animated and such will have an effect on games I play.

You know win8 has been proven to be faster and is more stable than win8. Why do you hate win8? I don't know if you know that the live tiles are just part of the start menu. The start menu in win8 is just full screen, not a window like the older versions of windows. I'm a PC gamer and since I was in the win8 beta I haven't had any problem gaming with win 8. Matter of I just built a new i7-4970k pc and I couldn't find my win8 key and I install win7. It seemed so slow that after a few days I had to go buy a new copy of win8. Once you understand the UI you can really see how much better win8 is.

I like windows 7, but these are the reasons I won't upgrade to ten, even in dual boot mode.

Cons

1. Windows 7 start menu has my computer, control panel, recently used programs and documents.

2. I work from home, my company won't let me use it due to security holes.

3. Auto updates and restarts, I cannot risk disconnecting from my work tools.

4. I use a 120gb sd for my os and would barely have enough room for 2 os's. I do not want to put one on my 2tb 720rpm hd.

5. I do not want to have to keep switching between operating systems.

Pros from windows 10

1. New directx

2. Future patching

3. Someone let me know if I am missing something.

I am very interested to see what the OS is like, but it may have come to late for me. I used 7 and thought it was probably the best OS and interface to date. I detested 8, even tho it had certain things that were definitively in its favor. Supporting it to older users was a real pain tho. The tile interface confused them, the difference between programs and apps confused them, and they misplaced tiles, due to the way you could move things and configure it. I have always messed around with linux on the side, and it gradually became my preferred OS. It has become easy to use, support is readily available, and its vastly more configurable than windows. I am at the point where the only reason I will even try 10 is out of curiosity and a couple games. Even then, the momentum in linux for gaming has grown to the point where I am not particularly worried about the few AAA games I will miss... I dont like most of them anyway, and almost all of the dominant or relevant game engines support linux now, or will shortly.
Given the speed, reliability, ease of use and customization, and security of linux, Win 10 will have to pull an awfully sexy bunny out of the hat to maintain space on my hard drives.

I can give reasons NOT to upgrade! u get a lot of crap, unstable system and wasted hdd space....

clean install, dont upgrade!

I can give reasons NOT to upgrade! u get a lot of crap, unstable system and wasted hdd space....

clean install, dont upgrade!
You're in luck. Once you upgrade you can then go into the Recovery part of PC Settings and set your computer back to "Factory Defaults" which is like doing a clean install but without the hassle of making a Windows install disk or USB flash drive, reformatting, and reinstalling drivers. It does it in one click and a reboot or two. You can even choose to do it while keeping your personal data intact through the reset.

I usually like to do a clean install every six to eight months. I look forward do being able to do it without all of the hassel.

I only need one reason not to upgrade. No Windows Media Center. Microsoft dropped the ball on that one.

You are highly mistaken if you think Windows 10 is going to tank. It's Microsoft's best OS yet.

I don't know about best. I switched back to windows 7 after extensively testing the beta. It may be a bit faster but it doesn't provide any fetching feature for me. Other annoyances like forces updates is just a bad idea.

I have used every OS from Microsoft since dos 5 I think... Thus far windows 7 has been my favorite (before that XP of course). I've been using windows 10 for the past month on my desktop and laptop. I must say it is vastly better than 7 and 8 or 8.1. It's not perfect and there are things I do not like... However it a big step above the others.

Back