Microsoft may be working on a portable Xbox, similar to a Switch, worked by the Surface...

Daniel Sims

Staff
Rumor mill: Potentially explosive rumors surrounding the future of Xbox have invited plenty of volatile speculation recently, some regarding Microsoft's near-future software plans and others concerning the next hardware cycle. While some seem more likely than others, a generous dose of salt is recommended until Microsoft makes official announcements.

Sources have told the Xbox News Cast podcast that Microsoft plans to enter the next hardware cycle with a traditional console and a dockable handheld variant similar to the Nintendo Switch. Speaking on this week's episode, "MAGG" also supports previous rumors indicating the next generation of Xbox could launch in 2026.

The development of the new hardware would be headed not by Xbox console lead designer Jason Ronald but by the Surface team. The Surface family comprises a number of well-regarded laptops, tablets, and ultrabooks, so tasking the lineup's developers with a handheld Xbox wouldn't be an enormous leap.

The device would not only stream games over Xbox Cloud Gaming, similar to Sony's PlayStation Portal, but also run them locally. Compared to the standard console, the handheld would use optimized performance profiles similar to the Xbox Series S.

The podcast's report is similar to one from Moore's Law is Dead regarding Sony's next-gen plans. Sources recently told the YouTuber that the PlayStation 6 could also receive a handheld companion. The device's SoC would feature 18 CUs, enabling digital backward compatibility with all PlayStation 4 games, though compatibility with PlayStation 5 titles is unclear.

Releasing a handheld would be an unexpected move into new territory for Microsoft and an ambitious retry for Sony. While nothing is certain until official announcements come, the success of devices like the Nintendo Switch and Steam Deck likely has Microsoft and Sony at least considering whether they can emulate Nintendo in whole or in part.

Meanwhile, recent reports that Microsoft plans to release some of its exclusive games on PlayStation 5 and Switch have started a firestorm among fans. Following last month's signs indicating Hi-Fi Rush and Sea of Thieves could reach non-Xbox consoles, new rumors suggest that the upcoming Indiana Jones and the Great Circle might only remain exclusive to Xbox for a short period before coming to PlayStation 5.

Responding to the rising gossip, which included speculation on whether Microsoft plans to remain in the game console arena, Xbox boss Phil Spencer confirmed that the company will reveal details of its plans next week. Given the nature of these rumors, it's best not to assume anything until then.

Permalink to story.

Just let Dell, HP, etc bundle an XBox controller and 'Windows: Gaming Edition' with an SFF PC and stop subsidizing traditional console hardware. Focus on a handheld and make more games (and Game pass) available on more platforms.

I predicted that the handheld gaming space will be a cheaper commodity a few years back when it was selling for close to a medium tier PC. With everyone converging into this space it will only facilitate the inevitable with competition. I break this space into 2 categories, 1) Selling hardware at close to cost with software premium model eg. Microsoft, Sony, Nintendo, Steam. 2) A hardware premium model that sells its hardware via improved hardware and no software premium due to lack of dedicated content footprint eg. Asus, Lenovo, MSI, etc.

The later ( hardware improvement group) Will probably have a higher rate of succesion than the group A. eg Asus is rumored to working on Aly 2 already

https://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/second-gen-asus-rog-ally-rumors/

Microsoft is all over the place, they don't know if they should directly compete with hardware or going multiplatform.

One year they are all about pleasing the fan base only to stab them in the back with news of offering their games to the competition rendering their own hardware pointless....

I think it's time for Phil Spencer to leave and hire someone that can truly put the Xbox hardware at the front and center of their business.

They are way too late to the game to do this with the steam deck, rog ally et al. already existing, if they had done it when it was just GPD innthe early days, then they could have cornered the market, but no, if this is Phil Spencer's idea of reawakening xbox, then he has to go as clearly things are not working or going to work

Just let Dell, HP, etc bundle an XBox controller and 'Windows: Gaming Edition' with an SFF PC and stop subsidizing traditional console hardware. Focus on a handheld and make more games (and Game pass) available on more platforms.
That requires them to make more good games, which given MS' track record is a massive ask.

Regarding the handheld Xbox, I'm not giving credit to the switch this is all Valve Steam Deck doing. They got the ball rolling; everyone now wants to make a handheld since the Steam Deck was released. Nintendo has done nothing to move the tech forward. Valve is who deserves all the credit.

Regarding the handheld Xbox, I'm not giving credit to the switch this is all Valve Steam Deck doing. They got the ball rolling; everyone now wants to make a handheld since the Steam Deck was released. Nintendo has done nothing to move the tech forward. Valve is who deserves all the credit.
Well, you know, except for making the format popular in the first place, affordable, and being the second best selling console of all time showing there is a large market for such a device.

Other then that, yeah nintendo totally didnt have anythign to do with this.

The Surface laptop I had, that I sent back, had crazy keyboard flex for such an expensive laptop. I don't know about " well-regarded laptops"

Microsoft handheld console is not going to make a lot of difference from what’s already available currently. What they should focus on is a light console OS, instead of using the clunky, bloated and buggy Windows.

Time is right too.
With so many handheld devices, making this device will be very easy, much
easier than when Steam was doing it.

All digital and no physical games? Subscriptions, pay to win and "you will own nothing?".
Nah, I'm good.

No, just no. I don't want Dell, HP and the other atrocious OEMs ruin this, thanks.

With consoles or handhelds, with all the convenience they offer, I still feel that playing games with a keyboard and mouse is still the best for me..
so microsoft's offer regarding any handheld doesn't seem to interest me much..

Back