Microsoft offers free phones and training to webOS devs

Jos

Staff

Hot on the heels of HP's decision to scrap work on webOS devices, Microsoft is taking the opportunity to get some stranded webOS developers interested in its platform by giving them "what they need to be successful." The company's Windows Phone 7 director Brandon Watson tweeted on Friday that phones, dev tools, and training would be made available to "any published webOS devs" willing to make the switch.

Unsurprisingly, his inbox is being bombarded right now as thousands of developers are taking him up on the offer. "Thank you so much for reaching out to the Windows Phone team to signal your interest in bringing your talents to our platform. To be honest, we didn't expect this level of response, so we were caught a bit flatfooted,” a message sent to developers reads. "We are psyched to have you aboard and to see what your imagination can do on the Windows Phone canvas."

This isn’t the first time Watson has gone out on a limb to promote his platform with the developer crowd. In the past similar offers have been extended to high-profile developers, including iPhone and PS3 jailbreaker George "geohot" Hot. He has also publicly offered free hardware to celebrities frustrated with their iPhone or Android device, and even shared his personal cell number on Twitter to field questions about the development process.

Currently, Windows Phone 7 has nearly 30,000 apps in its marketplace. That's a tiny figure compared to iOS or Android but it's growing at a steady pace as Microsoft is doing a good job attracting developers -- which is critical to WP7's success. The platform is still struggling with sales, but it seems clear that Microsoft is in this for the long haul.

Permalink to story.

...but it's growing at a steady pace as Microsoft is doing a good job attracting developers...

How about saying it's the fastest growing App ecosystem in history? Hell, even WP7 has obtained more Apps than both Blackberry and webOS combined, in half the time (no, seriously) it took HP to acquire and ultimately dump webOS... which is sad...

It's good that Microsoft wants to give these stranded developers a new home. It really tells you Microsoft is not playing around with WP7. While, to put it bluntly, Kin was a pathetic piece of s***, with WP7 they seem serious, and I think they have a shot as long as they bring updates twice as fast (6 month intervals, like Ubuntu), and get more manufacturers to build quality phones. The only one that has taken WP7 seriously, has been HTC with their HD series; although their batteries continue to be the same garbage as with every other smartphone, for some reason...?

get more manufacturers to build quality phones. The only one that has taken WP7 seriously, has been HTC with their HD series

+1 on that one. In addition to that claim of :

Windows Phone 7 has nearly 30,000 apps in its marketplace. That's a tiny figure compared to iOS or Android

I think it is better to have fewer but good/quality applicaitons, instead of having lots of crappy useless **** I see, especially in the Android market place.

I couldn't have put it better lawfer, I totally agree that at least two (2) updats a year is what MS should target for WP. I think if they adopt such model they probably will catch up iOS + Android in maximum of 1/2 cycles. Although when it comes to integration of social side of things, I think they are at least on par if not better.

Why was the first part of my comment deleted, Techspot?

I said Brandon Watson is not the director of Windows Phone 7 as Jose mentioned in the article, but that Terry Myerson is. Brandon Watson is simply the Dev Manager; sort of like a community manger, but for developers of the platform. Part of his job includes convincing other developers into joining the platform. What is wrong with pointing that out?

Classy, Techspot, very classy...

Lawfer, I edited your comment. I googled Brandon Watson and here's a few short descriptions about his work at Microsoft:

"Brandon Watson is Director for Windows Phone 7. He specifically focuses on developers and the developer platform."

"I am responsible for apps/developers on Windows Phone...how can we make your dev idea come to life?"

"Brandon Watson, Director of Developer Experience for Windows Phone 7 at Microsoft"

Those are taken from Microsoft or his own Twitter page. In other words, I didn't feel your correction was 100% accurate and maybe our description about his work isn't either, but for the purpose of the story it was fine. Every time someone reports a typo or mistake in one of our stories, it's our policy to correct those immediately and removing the comment referring to it.

I'm not saying this as an Android fan but i really dont see the Mango update having a dramatic impact to the smartphone market and I really cant understand why some people think it will.

Tomorrow_Rains said:
I think Mango will lead the sales Q1 next year once nokia enters the picture.
not if the iPhone 5 gets released before then :p

Archean said:
I think it is better to have fewer but good/quality applicaitons, instead of having lots of crappy useless **** I see, especially in the Android market place.
In time the W7p market will be the same, so enjoy it whilst it last

Archean said:
I couldn't have put it better lawfer, I totally agree that at least two (2) updats a year is what MS should target for WP. I think if they adopt such model they probably will catch up iOS + Android in maximum of 1/2 cycles.
Catchup in terms in functionality i can agree, but to catch up in sales and appeal, particularly appeal, thats going to take some time.

Archean said:
Although when it comes to integration of social side of things, I think they are at least on par if not better.
This is probably what can persuade some users, not me though :)

Catchup in terms in functionality i can agree, but to catch up in sales and appeal, particularly appeal, thats going to take some time.

Well some may not agree, but IMO Android simply imitated iOS interface, so I don't regard it as genuine. Now to appeal, that is because people have a herd mentality, generally they don't spend too much time to figure out things for themselves. Make no mistake I've tried several android phones in last year and I am not impressed, specially when it comes to stability and reliability. Hell my older HTC T/TII / Omnia WinMo cells were far superior in this regard, in fact Omnia never ever froze/or crashed for almost 3 years before I accidentally dropped it and broke its screen :(. Whereas, TII well lets just say I screwed it while trying to update to a custom rom, but luckily I was able to salvage it :).

When it comes to google, android or samsung you're automatically in hate mode and this time it has really clouded your judgement. I dont like Apple but I try to be at least realistic about their capabilities. To think that WP7 will catch up with android and apple in terms sales and appea in a short period of timel, well i don't even know what to say about that, other then don't hold your breath

When it comes to google, android or samsung you're automatically in hate mode and this time it has really clouded your judgement.

I am not sure how you reached this judgement, by the way Omnia is Samsung's cell phone line. I don't hate Big G, I just don't like their invasive behavior. IMO Google is nearly a monopoly, which probably is causing such behavior in the first place.

To think that WP7 will catch up with android and apple in terms sales and appea in a short period of timel, well i don't even know what to say about that, other then don't hold your breath

Neither I said or implied this, in fact for next 1/2 years I don't think WP will come close to number of units sold by other competitors. The difference in point of view arises mainly because in the corporate environment we prefer 'stability and reliability' over useless stupid additions/generally unreliable tech. etc. So probably this fact too plays a part in judgement / formation of opinion.

OK i was wrong i can admit it, i saw another anti-android post from you and my judgement got clouded. Why you don't just save up for a new phone, surely someone who works in the "corporate environment" can afford it. BTW I find my android phone, stable and reliable even with all the stupid additions/generally unreliable tech etc.

Back