Microsoft offers Office 365 to university students for $20/year

Rick

Staff

Microsoft has announced plans to offer unusually deep discounts to individuals eyeballing Office 365 University, its upcoming cloud-based productivity suite geared toward academic users. Students and professors alike will be able to snap up four-year subscriptions for just $79.99 -- that's far cheaper than Office 365 Home Premium's $99.99 annual price tag. Students will also be able to renew their subscription for an additional four years -- that's 8 years total -- for a mere $79.99 extra. All in all, the deal comes out to a very affordable $1.67 per month.

Microsoft Office 365 University includes access to the same core programs that have become timeless staples in its offline cousin, Microsoft Office: Word, Excel, PowerPoint, One Note and Outlook. Additionally, the Internet-based office suite comes bundled with 27GB of SkyDrive cloud storage and 60 minutes of time for International Skype calls -- a possibly useful addition for many students. 

Interestingly, while a single subscription of Office 365 Home Premium allows for installation on up to five computers, University editions may only be installed on two machines. Microsoft claims that full-featured Office programs can be streamed online to 'any PC" though. This feature does not presumably work for Macs though, since the company's footnotes indicate that One Note, Publisher and Access are only available for PC.

Microsoft Office 365 University is expected to launch during the first quarter of 2013. However, eligible students who sign up for Office University 2010 or Office University for Mac 2011 will receive a "free" subscription to Office 365 University when it first becomes available.

Permalink to story.

Ballmer needs a little more hair and a little Charlie Chaplin mustache in that picture. What next Microsoft? Charge by the letter? Linux is looking better and better...

Ballmer needs a little more hair and a little Charlie Chaplin mustache in that picture. What next Microsoft? Charge by the letter? Linux is looking better and better...

Wow. How is anything in this article something to criticize? This is a fantastic deal for students...

Wow. How is anything in this article something to criticize? This is a fantastic deal for students...

Neck beards are never happy with anything Microsoft releases...

Neck beard huh? ...oh well...I've been called worse by better people.

Linux, OpenOffice, Google Docs... I still wonder why people pay for Microsoft Office/Windows.

All the schools and universities I've visited have used 2003/2007. 2010 was required for the course I was taking and was also free to download for students lol

I fail to see how this is a great deal for students. I bought office 2010 from MS for $80 from their student website and get to keep it forever.

Microsoft charges way to much for their software and bringing the prices down with the new Office365 products launching soon is a great idea to keep people on board. You can use open-source office products but the real business world uses & requires the Microsoft Suite of products such as World, Excel, Powerpoint, etc. and in it is hard to get around it.

We have had a number of customers try the free one only to come back screaming for Microsoft Office. At the end of the day, it is a superior product that the industry has made a standard.

At the end of the end, Microsoft is trying to focus on being a software company and they are dam good at that.

Well, maybe at some Universities they do not use Microsoft as much, but I know USF in Tampa subsidizes all Microsoft products and we receive the entire product suite for $15 including OS's (forever). The 20 GB of extra space on Skydrive is nice though, but I barely use the 7 GB they give me and I have all my reports since I was a freshman (Senior now).

This is a great deal if everyone was onboard as well. This also really helps the tablets in the future which will all majority be cloud based. It's a marketing scheme and people will buy it. The cool thing is if USF subsidizes this, $$ awesome.

-Go Bulls!

I've been hearing this same old tune from Linux fanatics every single year since its inception.

LOL .. I am a Linux fanatic now? I love how all you fanboys just can't take a little criticism. It makes me laugh.

Btw..I use all Microsoft products.

LOL .. I am a Linux fanatic now? I love how all you fanboys just can't take a little criticism. It makes me laugh.

Btw..I use all Microsoft products.

First of all, I'm not a fanboy since I own both Microsoft and Linux products, though Linux seldom gets used. Secondly, I assumed you are a Linux fanatic because I've seen many posters that made similar comments in the last five years or so and all of them unabashedly admitted their love for Linux and scorn for its competition after calling them out. My apologies for calling you a fanatic, but this is the first time I've come across your comment and disputed my assertion.

I still use Office 2003 for daily work. It does everything I need. Office 97 would do the same if I was inclined to install it (it still works on Windows 7 64). Of course I understand the financial needs to sell new versions every few years.

Back