Microsoft Office 2016 for desktops set to arrive later this year

Shawn Knight

Staff member

microsoft office microsoft windows office excel word powerpoint productivity suite clippy tell me windows 10 office 2016 clippit

Whereas yesterday belonged to Windows 10, today is all about Office. Microsoft on Thursday revealed that the next iteration of its productivity suite for the desktop will be called Office 2016 and that it’ll remain the comprehensive experience that people are already familiar with.

The admission came buried inside a post about the new Office universal apps for Windows 10 that Microsoft touched on during yesterday’s event.

Not wanting to let too much out of the bag just yet, the post only revealed that Office 2016 will be best suited for a PC with a keyboard and mouse and that they have compelling new experiences coming as part of the new suite. The Redmond-based company said they’d have more on the subject in the coming months and that we can expect to see Office 2016 made available in the second half of this year.

microsoft office microsoft windows office excel word powerpoint productivity suite clippy tell me windows 10 office 2016 clippit

Last September, alleged slides of Office 2016 leaked onto the web. What we saw was an Office with a much darker theme, reportedly one of the top requests in Office 2013. As you can see above, it does seem to be a bit easier on the eyes versus staring at a bright white screen for hours on end.

Office 2016 is also expected to feature the spiritual return of Clippy (Clippit), the animated paperclip assistant bundled with much earlier versions of Office. The new assistant is reportedly called “Tell Me.” It’s essentially a search field positioned at the top of documents to facilitate searching for questions regarding Office features.

It’s unclear if this will be a voice-controlled feature powered by Cortana or simply a standard search field.

Permalink to story.

I hope the folks who bought a legit copy of Office 2010 get a free upgrade to 2016 as well seeing MS is in such a generous mood at the moment but I won't hold my breath and I don't care, I'm not a big user of office any products in general anyway.

Office 365 subscribers will probably get it. Users of the 5 year old version probably won't.

I hope the folks who bought a legit copy of Office 2010 get a free upgrade to 2016 as well seeing MS is in such a generous mood at the moment but I won't hold my breath and I don't care, I'm not a big user of office any products in general anyway.

So then why even make a comment like you did. Oh, I guess you just wanted to get it off you chest - DA

Office 2013 was a complete and utter disaster simply because of the removal of any colour customisation options. It was white, white or white with an option for parts of the screen to be a very, very light grey. For those of us who are colourblind and/or get eyestrain from staring at a bright white screen all day it was horrendous.
Whilst the screenshots of the 2016 version have a darker colour scheme I have to ask - what on earth is their problem with letting users choose their own colours? Why on earth would you take that function out? I guess we can only hope the new customer focussed Microsoft we saw at the Windows 10 reveal will fix this issue before release.

Office 365 subscribers will probably get it. Users of the 5 year old version probably won't.

Users of Office 365 get the latest versions as part of their subscriptions so I'll be looking for this at the end of the year. It will be interesting to see if Microsoft offers a free or reduced-price upgrade to Office 2016 for anyone using 2010 or standalone 2013 but I wouldn't wager on it.

Microsoft has made so much billions from us so it's time to get some tax credit so why not release Windows 10 and Office 2016 for free upgrades. Otherwise everyone going to stick with Windows 7 or Windows 8.1. Use other free Office Suites.

Back