Microsoft outlines Windows Phone development, shows off Xbox Live-linked game

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jos

Staff

Microsoft's MIX10 conference kicked off a few hours ago in Las Vegas and already it seems that Windows Phone 7 Series is set to be the star of the show. Company executives took the stage today to show off some of the platform's features, including a built-in location and push notification system, along with a number of prototype and early-stage applications from the likes of Netflix, Pandora and EA Mobile.

The first taste of gaming came courtesy of "The Harvest," a proof-of-concept title that shows Xbox LIVE Achievements, destructible terrain and a 3D interactive environment. It was developed by Luma Arcade using XNA Game Studio 4.0 in about three weeks of development time. Microsoft also outlined how developers can write their own programs using Silverlight, Visual Studio 2010 Express for Windows Phone, and Expression Blend 4 for Windows Phone. What's more, all developer tools are available for download now at no cost.

Compatible phones won't be ready for a while, of course, but developer can use the PC emulator to start coding. Later this year they'll be able to sell their programs using a new Windows Phone marketplace, which will support one-time credit card purchases, mobile operator billing and advertising-funded applications. It will also allow customers to try applications before buying them and developers will be able to cross-promote their applications through deep linking.

Permalink to story.

Awesome!! !!
As a developer, I like the idea of the free tools. Since there are a lot more people familiar with .Net and Visual Studio I can see the "Windows Phone Marketplace" becoming even larger than Google and Apple's App store put together simply b/c of the use of Visual Studio and Silverlight (Flash alternative). There could also be more demand by businesses looking for mobile solution. Since many businesses already own licenses to develop .Net apps the cost would be minimal compared to Apple.

This is actually looking very promising indeed! I guess I know what my next phone will be. Well when HTC announce it anyway.

THANK YOU MICROSOFT!!! I hate to say it, but one of the reasons I bought an iPhone was so that I could develop for it. Then I found out that you can't develop for it unless you have a Mac, which I will never pay good money for. I think I'll be developing my game for WP7S.

Killer App!

Last year when some MS engineers tried to express how cool this phone would be with an NDA censoring their words I just couldn't get the picture and bought an Android phone with a contract. Man, I wish I hadn't now! I'm going to be so envious of my friends who can get a WinMo phone now.

This is such a leap in gaming evolution that I can't believe it's Microsoft who's bringing it forward. Kudo's big M!

One last comment, someone please make me a USB Micro dock \ Xbox controller that can extend the battery life and give me thumb sticks for this.

Yeah, I considered getting an Android phone as well. Lucky for me I decided to wait and see what WP7 would look like before jumping on the smart phone bandwagon. Needless to say, I'm very pleased with that I see so far. I think I will actually develope my first game for this! Heck, the tools are free and I have experience with C#.

This is really great. I never thought that Microsoft will release something like this at this era. Mobile phone can now do programs, and for free! I used to do visual basic and C++ apps. Hope that it has also the capabilities of windows for pc...

I'm actually think Microsoft is going the right way with its new mobile os. The integration between xbox live and pc makes for some interesting playground for developers to really push the device.

i think MS will dominate phone market also with its windows 7 mobile os!
i think its os will be launched first on an HTC! dunno really!
but i m quite excited about it!

For once I can truthfully say that there are some things about this phone that actually look better than the iPhone, while it is, for me, not going to replace my iPhone it is certainly something that is a very viable competitor, i'm going to have to rethink what i've thought about the Windows phone in the past.

Microsoft is king of copying a lot of features, Push Notifications, Applications and Location stuff but as long as they work as well as they do on the iPhone i'm fine with it, they're good features.

If Microsoft can make good REAL games (no tap tap or dumb crap) using the new Nvidia chip and have a good application variety I might be very interested.

yes microsoft moving forward than any other software develpers.....this should make great change in indian market.

hello ...

hummm, quite interesting, now the development kit being free, i'm starting to be more n more attracted to games design & programming. I shall start with UDK still & go for PC games! LOL.

cheers!

Competition is very good for the mobile phone industry right now, especially this sort of high-end mobile system. Looking forward to seeing what MS can do with this.

Writing a game for it would be enjoyable as it is a new platform. It is surprise Netflix is already on top of making an application. I think they will have good, new applications to offer users.

Overall, Windows Phone 7 could easily be a good competitor for the iPhone. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back