Microsoft pledges to upgrade all Windows Phone 8 Lumias to Windows 10

Scorpus

Staff member

Responding to a customer's question about the future of Windows Phone device updates, Microsoft has pledged to update all current Lumia handsets running Windows Phone 8 to Windows 10 when the operating system is released next year.

This is welcome news for current Windows Phone users, who have previously been left out in the cold when it comes to updates. At the launch of Windows Phone 8, previous users of the platform where disappointed to discover that their handsets were not going to be updated from Windows Phone 7 to the new OS, instead receiving one last update to the not-as-good Windows Phone 7.8.

Windows Phone 7 devices couldn't be updated to WP8 due to the kernel change between the two OSes, but this is not going to be an issue moving to Windows 10. If Microsoft manages to keep their word and update every Lumia to Windows 10, it'll certainly make those who've bought Windows Phones over the past two years very happy.

Speaking of Windows 10, there's no current word out of Redmond on when we can expect the OS to arrive, aside from a vague mid-2015 launch timeframe. Even though the phone variant will be largely the same OS as the variant running on tablets, desktops, laptops and the Xbox One, it's also not known if Microsoft will release all the versions at the same time.

Permalink to story.

In so far as the Philippines is concerned, this is almost meaningless as the cheapest microsoft/nokia windows phone is still 'expensive' at more than 150$ u.s. equivalent.
cheap android 4.x smartphones can be purchased for around 80$ u.s. (around 3500php-4000php Philippine peso).
as a result, only a very few individuals have windows phones compared to hordes of android smartphone users.
if windows smartphones are available at more affordable price points, then many would rejoice at the news of free upgrade to windows phone 10..

(the drawback of old windows phone 7 as it cannot be updated to 8 is just like old froyo and gingerbread android smartphones which cannot be upgraded to android 4.x or 5.x.)

Great news for WP users. Although I don't use it and was planning on selling it I still have a barely touched Lumia 520 boxed away in a closet but I think I'll hang onto it now, wait for the upgrade, check it out then offload it.
I wish Google would control ALL the Android updates, not manufacturers but that's just pie in the sky.

Yeah so my Windows 8.1 Nokia Lumia smart phone will get upgraded to Windows 10. Cool.

Great news for WP users. Although I don't use it and was planning on selling it I still have a barely touched Lumia 520 boxed away in a closet but I think I'll hang onto it now, wait for the upgrade, check it out then offload it.
I wish Google would control ALL the Android updates, not manufacturers but that's just pie in the sky.

I have the 520 with a nice low plan from AT&T, nice phone. I was thinking of going with larger model. I'll wait for prices to drop more. But 520 can block calls I don't want easy by name or number or both. They can't even ring me. The Beta Cortana is fun to use. I ask her what's the weather for today or next week. Will there be rain. She'll say not likely!

Back