Microsoft recalls Surface Pro power cords due to overheating

Scorpus

Staff member

Microsoft will shortly announce a recall of nearly all Surface Pro, Surface Pro 2, and Surface Pro 3 power cords over concerns that they can overheat under the wrong circumstances.

The recall, set to be formally announced on Friday morning, affects all Surface Pro devices sold before the 15th of July, 2015. Anyone with a Surface Pro power cord sold before this date can voluntarily hand it over to Microsoft via a yet-to-be-announced process to claim a free replacement.

Damage to Surface Pro power cords from being "wound too tightly, twisted or pinched over an extended period of time" is apparently the cause of the overheating issues. According to a statement from Microsoft to ZDNet, the problem led to a "very small proportion" of owners reporting issues with their power cord.

It should be noted that all power cords for Microsoft's latest Surface products, the Surface Pro 4 and the Surface Book, are completely fine. However, if you own an older Surface Pro, it's probably a good idea to replace your power cord for free.

Permalink to story.

My powercord failed yesterday . I heard some arcking and picked up the adapter only to have the end fall off.

Over the years, I've found that whatever strain relief strategy a manufacturer might devise, a "talented customer", would find a way to defeat it.

Myself, in the area of musical instrument cords, I simply buy new end connectors in advance.

With camera chargers and other electronics power cords, I find not yanking on them to be quite a workable solution! :cool:

A friend of mine had an old Surface... and she brought it into the MS store for repairs... after a few weeks, having heard nothing, she called in asking about the status of it...

At first, the store claimed she'd never brought it in.... after long hours of arguing (and providing receipts), they admitted that her Surface "may have been misplaced". They then gave her a Surface 3 Pro - i7, 256gb version - which is quite the upgrade! They even replaced all her old accessories (keyboard, pen) with new ones for the Surface 3 Pro...

Alas, it turns out that the Surface Pro 3 they gave her "might" have been someone else's lemon, as it was running incredibly hot. Despite this being a known issue on the Surface 3 Pro, MS replaced it... and now it's running quite nicely for her...

And now I see this article and am wondering what power cord she got :) Hope she has the stamina to go back in and swap that out!

Microsoft should just stop making shitty electronics that nobody wants and start focusing on windows again. Their focus on mobile almost destroyed it already (windows 8) and I hope surfaces and xbones wont hinder the development of windows.

Microsoft fails:
xbox live for windows, zune, downfall of nokia, downfall of sega (dreamcast had windows CE so no wonder it got hacked and ms bought their controller layout among other things), Kinect, Kinect re-release with xbone, xbone it self, Minecraft (game sells more on all platforms except pc and they are getting rid of mods (windows store version won't support them)), hololens (promises of home theater without projectors only to be revealed to be the same as a 15" screen).

Microsoft hasn't done one good thing since Bill Gates left the company. Hope would realize this, split the company in to three (gaming, useless portables, windows) and not bring down all of microsoft, Bill made them loads of money to spend but no savings last for so many screw-ups.

Microsoft should just stop making shitty electronics that nobody wants and start focusing on windows again. Their focus on mobile almost destroyed it already (windows 8) and I hope surfaces and xbones wont hinder the development of windows.

Microsoft fails:
xbox live for windows, zune, downfall of nokia, downfall of sega (dreamcast had windows CE so no wonder it got hacked and ms bought their controller layout among other things), Kinect, Kinect re-release with xbone, xbone it self, Minecraft (game sells more on all platforms except pc and they are getting rid of mods (windows store version won't support them)), hololens (promises of home theater without projectors only to be revealed to be the same as a 15" screen).

Microsoft hasn't done one good thing since Bill Gates left the company. Hope would realize this, split the company in to three (gaming, useless portables, windows) and not bring down all of microsoft, Bill made them loads of money to spend but no savings last for so many screw-ups.
What an insightful comment!

Microsoft fails:

Yeah, MS has really dropped the ball since the good old days... barely scraping by.... check out these earning reports...
https://www.microsoft.com/investor/EarningsAndFinancials/TrendedHistory/AnnualStatements.aspx

Yep, start counting down the days until bankruptcy!

Back