Microsoft releases fix for Surface Book, Surface Pro 4 power management issues

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Microsoft's Surface Book and Surface Pro 4 are impressive feats of engineering but as early adopters have found out, the Redmond-based company may have rushed the devices to market before fully vetting things on the software side.

Microsoft addressed (and apologized for) the issue in mid-December which relates to how the systems handle energy consumption when put to sleep. Some at the time claimed the systems never went to sleep at all and continued to use draw power as if they were fully awake.

A Microsoft support forum employee admitted it was a known issue they'd been working on for some time and that a fix wouldn't be ready until early 2016. That time has now arrived as Microsoft Surface boss Panos Panay announced the release of a set of Microsoft and Intel driver and firmware updates for the Surface Book and Surface Pro 4 that will "help you get the most of the power management options" that Surface is designed to offer.

The updates should be installed automatically in due time but for those that would rather not wait around, simply go to Start -> Settings -> Update & Security -> Windows Update -> Check For Updates to install them manually. It would probably be a good idea to restart your machine after the updates even if you aren't prompted to do so.

Permalink to story.

Installed it on my Surface Pro 4 i7 last night and simply closed the cover, previously this would have resulted in a power exhausted unit by the morning. This morning it powered up without issues with plenty of battery capacity remaining.

The back of the unit is not getting hot enough to fry eggs on it anymore whilst browsing Techspot. So a much improved outcome, although I'll now have to buy a frying pan.

I know the Surface Pro 3 also had similar issues... anyone know if this will work for the 3 as well?
The Pro 3 and Pro 2 and Pro 1 were all recalled due to the power adapter. So I doubt this was intended for them. As the article states for Pro 4 and Surface book.

The Pro 3 and Pro 2 and Pro 1 were all recalled due to the power adapter. So I doubt this was intended for them. As the article states for Pro 4 and Surface book.
Power adapter has nothing to do with the software issue of overheating and not hibernating properly.... The 3 pro had a similar SOFTWARE problem... As they both run Windows 10, I don't think it's unreasonable to wonder if it fixes the 3's problem as well...

Power adapter has nothing to do with the software issue of overheating and not hibernating properly.... The 3 pro had a similar SOFTWARE problem... As they both run Windows 10, I don't think it's unreasonable to wonder if it fixes the 3's problem as well...
It doesn't, why would it, MS never stated it did or nor TechSpot. So it would be a no. The power adapter was a recall I never said it had anything to do with any software issue.

It doesn't, why would it, MS never stated it did or nor TechSpot. So it would be a no. The power adapter was a recall I never said it had anything to do with any software issue.
Yes... just because noone said it fixes anything doesn't mean it doesn't - as I previously stated, if it's a software issue, it SHOULD fix any Surface, as they run the SAME SOFTWARE!!... I was hoping that someone who actually has some knowledge on this (obviously NOT you!) could post and let me know...

If you have nothing useful to add, just keep quiet... I will be testing the fix soon enough (my 3 is with my wife, otherwise I'd be doing it now) and I am hoping to hear from someone else before giving her hope that the issue might be fixed...

Squid Surprise, please do not try to control who does or does not post in this thread. It is open to all members and is not your personal help thread.

Squid Surprise, please do not try to control who does or does not post in this thread. It is open to all members and is not your personal help thread.
Sorry, I do not mean to take the role of forum moderator... but when I ask a question, I expect that if someone is going to answer it, they will answer it with supporting evidence of some kind... The question wasn't meant to be for my sole benefit either... there are plenty of other people with Surface 3s and 2s that would benefit from the answer to this... And I don't see how simply saying "no" without any evidence helps this thread in any way.

I respectively ask that if anyone has any REAL answer to this question to please reply to the thread... obviously, any other comments are more than welcome as well, but simply stating "nope, MS didn't say they did, so it doesn't" doesn't really add anything...

Sorry, I do not mean to take the role of forum moderator... but when I ask a question, I expect that if someone is going to answer it, they will answer it with supporting evidence of some kind... The question wasn't meant to be for my sole benefit either... there are plenty of other people with Surface 3s and 2s that would benefit from the answer to this... And I don't see how simply saying "no" without any evidence helps this thread in any way.

I respectively ask that if anyone has any REAL answer to this question to please reply to the thread... obviously, any other comments are more than welcome as well, but simply stating "nope, MS didn't say they did, so it doesn't" doesn't really add anything...
Nope MS didn't is the answer, it is not mine or anyone else's fault that was not the answer you wanted. MS is the manufacturer of the fix n the Pro devices so I'm sure if they wanted you or anyone else to know what devices they fix I'm sure they would have listed it. But you can always go to the source and find the answer yourself. You don't need to ask anyone when you can get the answer for yourself since you don't like the answer you first got.

Lol... I DID go to the source... it actually DID make a fairly considerable difference in the power consumption of my Surface 3 Pro. It also goes into and out of hibernation a bit faster :)

I asked on here to see if there was anything I should be wary of (maybe it bricks the Surface, God forbid!), and also, it would still be useful to see other people's reactions - if it makes EVERYONE's Surface 3/2s faster, or just mine.... more data is always useful...

YOUR answer, on the other hand, which was given without evidence or anything other than spite, most likely, was worse than useless, as it was actually the WRONG INFORMATION.

Squid, members don't need your approval to post in this thread. You're still trying to control it.

The poor guy just asked if anybody knew if this fix sorted problems on the surface pro 3 too - not an unreasonable question - some bizarre responses on here.

Lol... I DID go to the source... it actually DID make a fairly considerable difference in the power consumption of my Surface 3 Pro. It also goes into and out of hibernation a bit faster :)

I asked on here to see if there was anything I should be wary of (maybe it bricks the Surface, God forbid!), and also, it would still be useful to see other people's reactions - if it makes EVERYONE's Surface 3/2s faster, or just mine.... more data is always useful...

YOUR answer, on the other hand, which was given without evidence or anything other than spite, most likely, was worse than useless, as it was actually the WRONG INFORMATION.
Once again no evidence was needed as the article stated what it was for. And once again if you wanted more or further info that is up to you to go n research or find out. Not up to anyone else just because you didn't like the answers that was given.
How can a answer be wrong when it's the same as the article, so your actually saying the article is wrong? The fix was stated for the surface book and Pro 4. That was it. If you wanted more info than that, then simply go to the source. You were given a answer n then cried like a baby about the answer when all you had to do is look for yourself.

You were given a answer n then cried like a baby about the answer when all you had to do is look for yourself.
No.... I was given the WRONG answer by someone who provided no supporting evidence (cause there isn't any)...

So I DID the research and it DID fix the problem with my Surface 3.... Would still be nice to hear from others to find out if it fixes all of them, or just mine.

No.... I was given the WRONG answer by someone who provided no supporting evidence (cause there isn't any)...

So I DID the research and it DID fix the problem with my Surface 3.... Would still be nice to hear from others to find out if it fixes all of them, or just mine.
No one gave you the wrong answer as the answer is in the Title, the fix was for the Surface Book and Pro 4. Is that not hard to read, can you read or comprehend? You seem incapable of doing this.

No one gave you the wrong answer as the answer is in the Title, the fix was for the Surface Book and Pro 4. Is that not hard to read, can you read or comprehend? You seem incapable of doing this.

I didn't ASK what the fix was FOR.... I asked "anyone know if this will work for the 3 as well?"

You said.. "NO"... which is WRONG, as it DID WORK for my Surface 3...Clearly you either didn't understand my question (which as you are still arguing makes me think this is the case), or you simply like being spiteful...

What I'd still like to see is if other people with Surface 3s, 2s, etc have tried this fix and if it fixes their power/hibernation issues...

I didn't ASK what the fix was FOR.... I asked "anyone know if this will work for the 3 as well?"

You said.. "NO"... which is WRONG, as it DID WORK for my Surface 3...Clearly you either didn't understand my question (which as you are still arguing makes me think this is the case), or you simply like being spiteful...

What I'd still like to see is if other people with Surface 3s, 2s, etc have tried this fix and if it fixes their power/hibernation issues...
The answer was NO at the time as it had not been reported as working with the Pro 3 so once again I was not wrong. You needed to go find out yourself.

No, the answer was YES, but you didn't know it at the time.... But you answered NO anyways... And again, you were wrong.... I have no issues with you having your own opinion - but this isn't really open for opinions.... It's simply "does it work" or "does it not work"....

To actually give an answer, you should either have a surface 2/3, know someone who does, or cite some sort of source supporting your answer.

You did neither - just said "no" and claimed the actual article as your "source". But the article never said anything about surface 2/3s so was not a relevant source for your position...

You claim that I was being lazy for asking my question without checking for myself what the answer was.... My wife had my Surface (as I stated earlier) so was hoping to get some info first...

And, you were far lazier for posting your WRONG answer without checking for yourself!

And I DID check for myself once I got my Surface back... and the answer is YES!!!

Last edited:
Back