Microsoft releases IE10 Platform Preview 1

Emil

Staff

Less than a month after releasing Internet Explorer 9, Microsoft has unveiled the first platform preview of Internet Explorer 10 at its MIX11 conference. You can download it now directly from the Microsoft Download Center: Windows Internet Explorer Platform Preview (version 10.0.1000.16394). Until Windows 8 is released, Windows 7 32-bit or Windows 7 64-bit is required to install and use IE10.

The first platform preview of IE10 improves on IE9 by adding support for additional standards, such as CSS3 Gradients on background images and CSS3 Flexible Box Layout. Microsoft is promising a new platform preview approximately every 12 weeks. It's worth noting that with IE9, Microsoft promised an update every eight weeks, but this wasn't a strict schedule.

IE10 is expected to be the version of Internet Explorer that comes with Windows 8, which should ship in 2012. Microsoft released the first platform preview of IE9 on March 16, 2010 and then released the final version on March 14, 2011. If Microsoft is saying the platform previews for IE10 will be spaced out an extra month apart, it would appear that IE10 will take more than a year to be released. We're thinking it will actually be less than that, but it's possible Microsoft will want to do additional testing with Windows 8, given that it is supporting ARM in addition to Intel and AMD platforms. In fact, in the demo today at MIX11, the IE10 platform preview was running on a Windows 8 build for ARM.

"The only native experience of HTML5 on the Web today is on Windows 7 with Internet Explorer 9," Dean Hachamovitch, corporate vice president of Internet Explorer, said in a statement. "With Internet Explorer 9, websites can take advantage of the power of modern hardware and a modern operating system and deliver experiences that were not possible a year ago. Internet Explorer 10 will push the boundaries of what developers can do on the Web even further."

Permalink to story.

On the MS website you linked with, says it requires Win7, so I assume, it won't work with Vista?

Archean said:
On the MS website you linked with, says it requires Win7, so I assume, it won't work with Vista?
I don't have a Vista system to verify this, but according to the release notes, Windows 7 is required. I've updated the article.

So, Microsoft decided to jump on the Chrome and Mozilla band wagon of releasing a new browser version every few months.

"The only native experience of HTML5 on the Web today is on Windows 7 with Internet Explorer 9," ....yeah, right... ¬¬

If you try to load it on Vista it says: "Windows Internet Explorer Platform does not support any operating systems earlier than Windows 7" and the installation stops "An error has occurred during installation."

as far as i am impressed with IE9, it still crashes when i visit certain safe sites which uses certain script. so i wont bother with IE10. in addition, i am currently running vista sp2, which i don't want to upgrade at the moment.

Who would have thought that a script designed to be optimized for my browser wouldn't work the same in other peoples browsers ><

XP works just fine. Why would anyone want to dump a completely stable work horse like XP just so they could have the latest and greatest browser. XP may be old, but the darn OS works great. "If ain't broken, don't fix it". Besides, the newest versions of Firefox and others don't have the same requirements for OSes. I think MS needs to show a little gratitude and support for all the customer that have supported XP all these years.

^ I heard Windows 3.1 works great too. Come to think of it, 3.1 uses even less RAM than XP!!! PERFORMANCE FOR THE WIN!!!11! ... Oh wait...... /sarcasm

I loved XP and stuck with it, completely skipping Vista. When the 7 beta came out I gave it a shot and honestly feel it was superior to XP in every way from jump.

To guest:

Is it safe for viruses.

Yes, viruses will be quite safe and content in IE10,

I am not a technician.However I built computers back in the early 1960s. Internet Explorer was just that. It was obsolete in 1969. Instead of fixing the problem, band aids were applied.
Most Microsoft based browsers are vulnerable for attacks.
I use Mozilla Firefox, because the Microsoft browsers have crashed my former computers.
My Father always said 'if it isn't broken, don't fix it'. The owner and others need to take a long look at their product. Perhaps the hole in each browser will finally be fixed.
Could it be that each new version is a way to make more money?

IE and 1969? As far as I know IE 1.0 was released in 1995. FF or Chrome or any other browser for that matter is just as susceptible; only difference is others have been much more robust at improving their offering.

Back