Microsoft schedules first-party Xbox Series X game showcase for July 23

Polycount

Staff
In context: The holiday launch window for next-gen consoles is approaching rapidly, and both Sony and Microsoft have accelerated their marketing campaigns accordingly. Combined, the companies have already revealed dozens of games that will be available on their upcoming consoles, but they've mostly been third-party or cross-gen titles thus far.

Those games look excellent, but when it comes to choosing what console to buy, it's often the first-party exclusives that matter most to the average player. Microsoft fans who fall into that camp will be pleased to hear that the tech giant will be unveiling a slew of first-party Xbox Series X titles on July 23, as part of the ongoing Summer Game Fest celebration.

The event will kick off at 9 AM PT, with a pre-show scheduled for 8 AM PT. The pre-show will be hosted by gaming journalist, enthusiast, and regular event host Geoff Keighley (of Game Awards fame). It's not clear what the pre-show will consist of, but in similar events, Keighley typically brings on a few high-profile guests who will talk about their expectations for the showcase and their thoughts on the future of gaming.

Unfortunately, we don't know how many games will be shown off on July 23, but we hope for a meaty showcase.

Naturally, Microsoft isn't leaving its current-gen consoles to rot amidst all this next-gen hardware hype. As we reported last week, separately from the July 23 event, the company will be hosting a week-long "Summer Games Fest Demo Event," starting on July 21. This event will preview between 75 and 100 Xbox One titles, 60 of which will have playable demos, to emulate the experience of attending E3 and getting hands-on time with the latest games.

We look forward to seeing what Microsoft has up its sleeve. As usual, we'll be covering any major announcements or reveals here, so stay tuned.

Permalink to story.

They are gonna have to work really hard to get me to buy in.

I haven't touched my Xbox One X in almost a year.

They are gonna have to work really hard to get me to buy in.

I haven't touched my Xbox One X in almost a year.
They won't really try to sell you the hardware as long as you're interested in (and buying) software (aka games) on PC or X1.

Well, lets see what they have up their sleeves (besides Halo).

Sony has already revealed their whole hand, it's time for MS to show the rest of theirs.

I'm betting a return of Fable, and hoping Crimson Skies and Blood Wake finally get shown some love (along with other classics)...

I'm betting a return of Fable.
They really need to come up with some new material. I have this horrible feeling you're right and they're about to resurrect a dead horse but they'd need to create a whole new franchise that looks like my cup of tea before they'd get my attention.

They really need to come up with some new material. I have this horrible feeling you're right and they're about to resurrect a dead horse but they'd need to create a whole new franchise that looks like my cup of tea before they'd get my attention.
It's been long enough that I'd be interested in seeing what a new Fable (without Peter Molyneux) would look like. Or, maybe it's just a remaster of sorts.

And MS bought a whole bunch of studios years ago. They'll also have new stuff...

Last edited:
It's been long enough that I'd be interested in seeing what a new Fable (without Peter Molyneux) would look like. Or, maybe it's just a remaster of sorts.

And MS bought a whole bunch of studios years ago. They'll also have new stuff...
Honestly it's been soo long since I was interested in anything Microsoft Studios or Xbox related I hadn't checked, Yeah maybe a new Fable would actually be quite welcome with some new blood behind it.

Back