Microsoft snagged Bungie just days before Apple

Matthew DeCarlo

Staff

According to a former Bungie employee, Microsoft purchased the Halo creator just "days" before Apple. In a chat with Develop, ex-Bungie developer Tuncer Deniz said things went down like this: the studio asked Apple if it was interested in an acquisition and CEO Steve Jobs mulled the idea but initially declined. Jobs changed his mind about a week later and Cupertino contacted Bungie to cut a deal -- but it was too late. "Bungie had already consummated the deal with Microsoft," said Deniz.

Jobs was reportedly "furious" when Microsoft announced the acquisition, according to former Redmond executive Ed Fries. "He was mad at Ballmer and phoned him up and was angry because we'd just bought the premier Mac game developer and made them an Xbox developer." Ballmer tasked Fries with defusing the situation, and he cooled Jobs off by promising that certain PC games would be ported to Mac -- no specific titles were mentioned in the interview. "It was a pretty strange time," Fries added.

Permalink to story.

yeah but how come bungie wont be involved in any more halo games? microsoft needs to rectify this and make bungie the only ones able to work on halo. POOR Crapple they always seem to lose at everything im so tired of apple and there crying over everything and the way they treat there customers.

For a guy who is made out to be some sort of modern visionary, he made a really dumb decision here. He was angry at Ballmer? Sheesh, he should've been kicking his own ***.

Mistake maybe for apple, but not for all of the halo fans out there. Apple was probably just going to turn halo into a sidenote. MS banked on halo and put all of their weight behind it, even moved a couple of xboxes with it.
Technically, it's a good thing for a lot of people apple didn't get it.

Hmmm, Agreed with the comment above. Apple has been having alot of problems lately and cant see things getting much better.

with the success halo had under microsoft's supervision, it's a good thing apple didn't get it. must've been steve job's destiny. well at least he knew he wasnt invulnerable.. until he made iphones ipads and macbook airs.

These things happen all the time in big business. I guess this just takes a spotlight because it's between Apple and Microsoft.

Either way, I've never played Halo, but I'd certainly think this is better in Microsoft hands, than Apple.

I'm glad Apple didn't buy them...they have never really shown any serious support for the Personal Computer gamers.

I don't own a Xbox but from a personal view of it, Halo is one of its flagship games. As for Apple they have been doing a lot of weird things lately or maybe it's just finally become more noticeable since they have increased their market shares.

It does make you wonder, what would the beloved Halo series be if it had been acquired by Apple? Personally, I think that it would have suffered as much as if it had been put out on something like the Gamecube. Apple was not and may still not be in a position to support the kind of fanbase a game like halo required. The brand new Xbox platform, however, was designed with that core gamer in mind.

thedrelle said:
It does make you wonder, what would the beloved Halo series be if it had been acquired by Apple? Personally, I think that it would have suffered as much as if it had been put out on something like the Gamecube. Apple was not and may still not be in a position to support the kind of fanbase a game like halo required. The brand new Xbox platform, however, was designed with that core gamer in mind.

i think apple would of had Bungi making something along the lines of FarmVille, I get ya!

I was very confused for a whole five minutes because I thought this was current news.

I like history articles, I just think there should be some sort of identification

In some alternate universe, Apple bought bungie, and as a result a Mac is the thing to buy if you are a gamer. Man, that would be horrible.

Microsoft acquired Bungie in 2000 and on October 5, 2007, Bungie announced that it had split with Microsoft and become a privately held independent company, Bungie LLC.

Wait, Apple was unhappy because they declined to purchase a franchise, changed their minds, and got unhappy when they went back and discovered M$ had purchased it? The article makes no mention of there being any sort of hold or waiting period before Bungie offered it's services to another company, business is business right?

As i read somewhere, Halo actually was developed for Mac and it was meant to be the step to bring gaming in Apple systems. Gain for MS, lost for Apple. It's actually shame that MS let Bungie to leave now because now it seems MS can be in the losing position as there is no exclusive games for the next year except GoW3 (at least there is no games that has been already announced ).

To think what could have been: Halo on your iphone...

I both laugh and shudder from the concept of that.

Imagine how different the would would've been... Halo would've been a Mac exclusive game or something hahaha.... Oh well, better luck next time jobsy.

Thank god, If apple got Bungie I don't even want to know what would have happened. Something terrible im sure. Glad to see apple missed out. Mainly because I cant stand apple and their dumbed down electronics for the masses.

How ironic... Jobs mad about a company being bought out by MS that originally released Mac software. Sounds somehow familiar. Google "Emagic" "Logic Pro".

Back