Microsoft Surface Pro on sale February 9, starting at $899

Jos

Microsoft has finally shared availavility details for its upcoming Surface Pro. Initially expected sometime in late January, the company has now confirmed via press release that the full-blown Windows 8 variant of the tablet will go on sale February 9 in the US and Canada, starting at $899 for the 64GB model and $999 for the 128GB version. As was the case with the $499 Surface RT, the keyboard is not included in that price.

The Touch and Type covers are sold separately for $120 and $130, respectively, in a range of colors.

microsoft surface pro canada

Microsoft's Surface Pro tablet uses a Core i5 or Core i7 processor, and unlike its less expensive RT sibling it will support existing desktop applications in addition to the new Windows 8-style ones. It also comes with a pressure-sensitive stylus with palm-rejection technology that magnetically clips to the charging port, and a Full HD (1920 x 1080) display instead of the 1366 x 768 variety on the ARM-based model.

Other key differences include a larger battery to make up for the power hungrier specs, double the amount of RAM at 4GB, USB 3.0, a miniDisplayPort and a thicker and heavier profile than the Surface RT.

Besides the Surface Pro announcement, Microsoft also said it plans to double the number of a countries where the Surface RT is sold by making it available in 13 more markets: Austria, Belgium, Denmark, Finland, Ireland, Italy, Luxembourg, the Netherlands, Norway, Portugal, Spain, Sweden and Switzerland.

Permalink to story.

Hmmm... I wonder if it's a decent stylus (as I have heard many people complain about the lack of stylus on tablets).
Otherwise, I like the usb 3.0 option in a tablet. And microSD? Finally a decent sounding tablet with this. But too bad I like my PC's beastly (to play full graphic games)...

I actually like the idea. Thinking about it, this would be more portable then a laptop but I get the benefits of a laptop. I would have to take a look at it in person and also look at the price. Not bad I think.

Didn't see it in the article, but is the storage SSD? I also heard this thing, as opposed to the RT, has digitizer support, can anyone confirm? I can always look it up, but I'm lazy.

Even then, seems like a great choice over the Air.

I'm not sure what the word is for these new laptop/tablet hybrids. I've heard them called 'convertibles' which I guess makes sense. They're really laptops with touch screens. The Sony Vaio Duo (?) is another and has an i7 with a $1499 price tag to go with it. These look very capable of just about anything a business user would need.

I could see this being popular with college kids.

Hahahaha, the price, hahahaha..
Rather have this over a MacBook Air, better screen, lower price, built in digitizer, full OS with much wider program library. This doesn't compete with tablets, it's going after Ultrabooks and Airs and seems like it will be better too.

Rather have this over a MacBook Air, better screen, lower price, built in digitizer, full OS with much wider program library. This doesn't compete with tablets, it's going after Ultrabooks and Airs and seems like it will be better too.
rather have a normal laptop than either of these because the specs you can get for 900 dollars are pretty nice, as well as things like a backlit keyboard, and the 1080p screen this tablet has.

rather have a normal laptop than either of these because the specs you can get for 900 dollars are pretty nice, as well as things like a backlit keyboard, and the 1080p screen this tablet has.

But I think the main point is, that laptop can't be a tablet. There's an extra layer of portability that tablets provide over laptops. Atleast that's what I hear. I'm still not sure about these tablet thingamajigs.

But I think the main point is, that laptop can't be a tablet. There's an extra layer of portability that tablets provide over laptops. Atleast that's what I hear. I'm still not sure about these tablet thingamajigs.
Fine then, convertible tablets. Most underadvertised and underrated one piece hardware on the market.

I have a hard decision between the Surface Pro or the Transformer book. On one hand you get stylus pen, on the other hand, you get proper ultrabook that is convertible but without a stylus.

Fine then, convertible tablets. Most underadvertised and underrated one piece hardware on the market.

I'll take the Surface Pro over a convertiable tablet. No matter how it "converts" ypu still have the thickness, size and weight of laptop. The Surface Pro --- fold back or detach the magnetic keyboard, and well you have an awesome Ivy Bridge powered tablet.

I'll take the Surface Pro over a convertiable tablet. No matter how it "converts" ypu still have the thickness, size and weight of laptop. The Surface Pro --- fold back or detach the magnetic keyboard, and well you have an awesome Ivy Bridge powered tablet.
Dont understand this obsession with super light and super thin gadgets. Thats how things break REALLY easily, regardless of how careful you are with them.

Dont understand this obsession with super light and super thin gadgets. Thats how things break REALLY easily, regardless of how careful you are with them.

That's like saying a CRT doesn't break as easily because you don't carry it around with you due to the weight.

That's like saying a CRT doesn't break as easily because you don't carry it around with you due to the weight.
Thats not the way I read the statement. I read the statement as one device is more rigid because it is not as thin as the other. Lets flip a coin, which one do we want easier portability or greater longevity. Personally I would rather the device weighed twice as much than to loose any structural integrity of anything portable. If you haven't figured it out by now, I despise plastic parts for this very reason. I often accuse manufacturers of planned obsolescence when they use plastic parts, especially when they are used in a mechanical environment. But then plastic parts is another topic all together, unless you want to talk about the plastic shell around a tablet which is usually the first to be broken. Make this shell thinner and it will break even quicker. However if everyone was responsible and didn't throw or drop their devices, this wouldn't be a problem or would it.

How about a 23" tablet with MS-DOS ?

or the 51" Deluxe model with Windows 3.1 and a dial-up modem ?

and a free crApple sticker for your forehead...ha ha ha

"I have a hard decision between the Surface Pro or the Transformer book. On one hand you get stylus pen, on the other hand, you get proper ultrabook that is convertible but without a stylus"

--> just wait several month until other vendor also launched their 'surface pro' version, you might find one that's very suitable with your preference.. :)

Thats not the way I read the statement. I read the statement as one device is more rigid because it is not as thin as the other. Lets flip a coin, which one do we want easier portability or greater longevity. Personally I would rather the device weighed twice as much than to loose any structural integrity of anything portable. If you haven't figured it out by now, I despise plastic parts for this very reason. I often accuse manufacturers of planned obsolescence when they use plastic parts, especially when they are used in a mechanical environment. But then plastic parts is another topic all together, unless you want to talk about the plastic shell around a tablet which is usually the first to be broken. Make this shell thinner and it will break even quicker. However if everyone was responsible and didn't throw or drop their devices, this wouldn't be a problem or would it.

Ten you obviously haven't held the Surface with Windows RT. The casing and material is not cheap at all. It's very durable and built to last. So the arguement that a thicker & heavier laptop will out last it isn't much of an arguement at all. The Surface isn't made out of light weight plastic material like a Galaxy Note --- it's casing is made out of VaporMG, which has some weight to it and feels strong. So with that said, yes the Surface with Windows 8 Pro is a better option over convertible's & hybrids.

Ten you obviously haven't held the Surface with Windows RT. The casing and material is not cheap at all. It's very durable and built to last. So the arguement that a thicker & heavier laptop will out last it isn't much of an arguement at all. The Surface isn't made out of light weight plastic material like a Galaxy Note --- it's casing is made out of VaporMG, which has some weight to it and feels strong. So with that said, yes the Surface with Windows 8 Pro is a better option over convertible's & hybrids.
people say the same thing about iphones, about how strong the glass is and how solid the metal casing is, and I see those things shattered all the times. Honestly comparing a convertible laptop to a tablet is like apples and oranges. I for one prefer convertible tablets because they are one piece, and the added thickness when closed means a little more structural stability. I dont need to worry about portability as much for laptops or tablets as I do phones. Plus, a flimsy keyboard and a "solid" tablet seem a little bit of a annoyance together to me.

Hmmm... I wonder if it's a decent stylus (as I have heard many people complain about the lack of stylus on tablets).
Otherwise, I like the usb 3.0 option in a tablet. And microSD? Finally a decent sounding tablet with this. But too bad I like my PC's beastly (to play full graphic games)...

Yes, it has a stylus, and pressure sensitive to boot. That's why I am really stocked by this product...

I think the surface was a good idea in general, but it's not an ultrabook, and not thin enough to be a very portable tablet.
It must be very top heavy when the keyboard case is attached and when proped up. however I'm pretty sure that this design is for being on the desks of students and office workers who need lots of power with limited space.
but I do think that the keyboard case should be thicker, maybe fit a collapsible USB port. and the tablet itself be a tad thinner.

I'm not saying I don't like it, but I don't not like it either.
And I'm not sure if I would spend that much money on it if I did kinda like it.

I kinda like it, I kinda don't.

To all of you who are complaining about the price, 900 dollars is not very much for a high end tablet/medium end laptop

but I do think that the keyboard case should be thicker, maybe fit a collapsible USB port. and the tablet itself be a tad thinner.
The size of the keyboard should be irrelevant when used as an add-on for a tablet. Seems to me you are in the market for a notebook not a tablet.

Back