Microsoft sweetens XP upgrade offers as support deadline nears

Shawn Knight

Staff member

microsoft

Microsoft is sweetening the pot in hopes of getting holdouts to switch from their dated Windows XP machine to something a bit more modern. Last week, the Redmond-based company offered a $50 gift card to those purchasing a Windows 8.1 computer but they’ve since improved that offer in more ways than one.

From now through June 15, XP users looking to move to a new system are eligible for a $100 discount on a qualifying machine priced at $599 or higher. A Microsoft rep said the deal will only show up for those who visit the Microsoft Store via a Windows XP machine in a clear nod to make sure that only XP users receive the savings.

Users that prefer to shop via brick and mortar can physically bring their XP machine to one of over 80 retail Microsoft stores across the country as proof of eligibility.

In addition to the $100 savings, buyers will also qualify for 90 days of free support and free data transfer. The data migration tool from Laplink was announced earlier this month and is available to all users free of charge from Microsoft's website.

With two offers coming from Microsoft in as many weeks, some will no doubt be enticed to play the waiting game to see if the company has even sweeter deals up its proverbial sleeve. That could be a dangerous proposition, however, as XP will most certainly become an easy target for hackers once the April 8 end-of-support date has passed.

Permalink to story.

I have april 9th circled on my calendar so I can start releasing the kraken viruses!

Imagine the deals when the time comes to wean us from Win 7...
They will need something better than Windows 8, that is for sure! I'd go back to WinXP, before I moved forward with Win8. And if Win9 still has those ugly squares and dull frame borders, I will not be moving forward with Win9 either. I'm not gonna rely on third party apps, for something that should be built into the OS.

They will need something better than Windows 8, that is for sure! I'd go back to WinXP, before I moved forward with Win8. And if Win9 still has those ugly squares and dull frame borders, I will not be moving forward with Win9 either. I'm not gonna rely on third party apps, for something that should be built into the OS.
We're quite safe with 7 for the moment. Only when or 10 or whatever gets released will we possibly know our fate.

Do everyone a favour and offer a support package, we pay 30$ for continued support. I own windows 7 personally.

To bad they will not let people upgrade Windows XP to Windows 7 instead of downgrade Windows XP to Windows 8.

I wish they made the discount online, I still have an old capable PC with license windows XP. I dont see a good reason to buy a new system just to use Windows8.

I wish they made the discount online, I still have an old capable PC with license windows XP. I dont see a good reason to buy a new system just to use Windows8.

Exactly! Make that a $100 discount on the software and I'd do it for security reasons.

Back