Microsoft to address four critical flaws on Patch Tuesday

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Patch Tuesday is once again upon us as Microsoft is preparing to push out a bundle of security fixes on March 12. The upcoming release will consist of seven fixes, four of which are deemed critical as they could allow an attacker to execute malicious code on a remote PC by tricking a user into surfing to a compromised website or clicking a phony link in an e-mail.

The first critical update addresses Internet Explorer. It is designed to fix all versions of the browser from IE6 through IE10 on all iterations of Windows starting with XP and including Windows 8 and Windows RT. A separate patch for Silverlight will patch a vulnerability on both Windows and Mac, Microsoft said in a recent security bulletin.

The third critical flaw affects Visio, an Office application, in addition to a separate flaw in the Office Filter Pack. Wolfgang Kandek, chief technology officer of security firm Qualys, said the severity rating of this patch is puzzling as it typically requires opening of an infected file in order for the attack to work. He noted that it will be interesting to see the attack vector for this vulnerability that warrants the critical rating.

The final critical patch addresses a flaw in Microsoft’s Sharepoint server which only affects business clients. The remaining fixes are classified as important which means the holes they fix aren’t serious but should probably be patched anyway. If you have Windows Update set to automatic, critical patches will be installed automatically while important patches must be installed manually.

Permalink to story.

I think my ie10 x64 (with msn home page and bing search) for windows 7 is "broken".

always hangs; ie10 processes not closed even by closing the browser.
weird thing is ie10 x86 processes are also opened even when opening only the ie10 x64.
temporarily fixed by turning windows feature off, then on.

permanently fixed by changing the ie10 home page (to techspot or any other page).

I hope this weird issue I encountered is remedied by the march 2013 patch or the next.
(already reported via windows 7 action report)

I think my ie10 x64 (with msn home page and bing search) for windows 7 is "broken".

always hangs; ie10 processes not closed even by closing the browser.
weird thing is ie10 x86 processes are also opened even when opening only the ie10 x64.
temporarily fixed by turning windows feature off, then on.

permanently fixed by changing the ie10 home page (to techspot or any other page).

I hope this weird issue I encountered is remedied by the march 2013 patch or the next.
(already reported via windows 7 action report)
It's your fault for using IE in the first place.

It's your fault for using IE in the first place.
:) lol. I can't help it because I'm a microsoft fan.
seriously, for some sites, I prefer to use ie because the sites appear "more complete" than other browsers; for other sites, I use Mozilla firefox because of the add-ons (no script, ad block, etc)

edit: added more correct info.

on second thought, I did another troubleshooting.
I restored msn home page but this time disabled Skype plugin.
weird ie10 problem disappeared! completely and permanently.
ie10 rules.
but Skype? nah. uninstalled. some ms products are good and some are just meh.

Misor there's no IE10 64-bit, in Windows 7 the 64-bit "version" of IE10 is just the launcher of the 32-bit IE10. There's a 64-bit launcher in W7 for legacy, IE9 had 64-bit version and so to avoid possible conflicts with references to the old process the IE10 64-bit launcher was done as a placebo.

Misor there's no IE10 64-bit, in Windows 7 the 64-bit "version" of IE10 is just the launcher of the 32-bit IE10. There's a 64-bit launcher in W7 for legacy, IE9 had 64-bit version and so to avoid possible conflicts with references to the old process the IE10 64-bit launcher was done as a placebo.
so what's the meaning of these folders:
C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer
C:\Program Files (x86)\Internet Explorer

and these processes as seen under task manager:
iexplore.exe
iexplore.exe *32

and the following installers:
IE10-Windows6.1-x64-en-us
IE10-Windows6.1-x86-en-us
EIE10_EN-US_WOL_Win764 (my fav because of bing and msn search; fanboy here :) )

I don't mean to argue with you but I tend to follow the logic that if a software manufacturer labels a product with a 64-bit tag, it must be a 64-bit version.

That's what I said: I used to use 64-bit IE9 and the process was true; if you see the footprint in memory of the 64-bit process is very small (about 10 MB vs the initial 100 MB of the 32-bit process). I also have the 64-bit IE10 and if you dig a little there was no 64-bit developed; I read that new somewhere not sure if it was here before IE10 was released. No 64-bit version was developed for Windows 8/RT and the only reason why it exists a 64-bit for W7 is for the legacy reasons: avoiding problems with programs that may have been linked to the old 64-bit IE9 that previously existed preinstalled in W7.

Look for the news about it online and try a fresh install of 64-bit W7 with 64-bit IE9 and you'll see the difference in processes running and the amount of memory used for the same webpage in the 64-bit process. The W7 64-bit IE10 just works as a launcher basicly.

so what's the meaning of these folders:
C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer
C:\Program Files (x86)\Internet Explorer

and these processes as seen under task manager:
iexplore.exe
iexplore.exe *32

and the following installers:
IE10-Windows6.1-x64-en-us
IE10-Windows6.1-x86-en-us
EIE10_EN-US_WOL_Win764 (my fav because of bing and msn search; fanboy here :) )

I don't mean to argue with you but I tend to follow the logic that if a software manufacturer labels a product with a 64-bit tag, it must be a 64-bit version.
Start up another instance of IE from the Program Files folder (not the Program Files (x86)). You'll see it won't start as a 64-bit process.

The x64 IE10 patch is just the IE10 installer for x64 machines. Encountered the same issue myself a week or two ago... IE10 x64 can't be launched by the user by the look of it

Back