Microsoft unveils the Xbox One X, formerly Project Scorpio

midian182

Staff member

Project Scorpio has been in the news quite regularly since we got our first glimpse of the console at last year’s E3. At its press event yesterday, Microsoft revealed new details about the machine, including the official name, price, and release date. On November 7 this year, the Xbox One X will launch worldwide for $499.

“The most powerful console ever made” boasts a 6 teraflops GPU that features 40 "customized" Radeon compute units clocked at 1172 MHz, as well as 12GB of GDDR5 memory on a 384-bit bus for 326GB/s of memory bandwidth – higher than the GTX 1080.

It also comes with a custom 8-core AMD CPU clocked at 2.3GHz, liquid-cooled vapor-chamber cooling tech, and 1 TB of storage. And while it may resemble its predecessors, the Xbox One X is the “smallest Xbox ever.” It even has a 4K Blu-ray drive like the Xbox One S.

All that graphical power is used to run many games in native 4K, and there's support for high dynamic range (HDR). But those with 1080p TVs will also benefit – games on the Xbox One X will look better on HDTVs thanks to supersampling.

There will be 22 “console launch exclusives” when the Xbox One X arrives, including Crackdown 3, Forza Motorsport 7, and Sea of Thieves. Note the importance of the word “launch;” these games will also make their way to the PS4 and/or PC - Microsoft has said there won’t be any titles exclusive to the Xbox One X.

There were 42 games on show yesterday, including Metro: Exodus, Assassin's Creed: Origins, State of Decay 2, and BioWare’s Anthem.

Permalink to story.

That trailer is very TRON'ish.

I've been putting off getting a XB One for years, although I still intend on going ahead with a purchase at some stage. With this on the horizon, there is no point throwing money at a XB One or XB One S.

Their naming convention is good, it indicates that it's still in the XB One family, and not the next generation.

Funny how, aside from Forza 7, they never mentioned 60FPS again and from the titles shown there, it was pretty clear that 30FPS was still "normal".

Funny how, aside from Forza 7, they never mentioned 60FPS again and from the titles shown there, it was pretty clear that 30FPS was still "normal".
Obviously. That hardware, while powerful, is still far from something like a gtx1080ti, wich barely achieves 4k60. So that console either has to lower the quality of games compared to PC, or targets 30fps, unless they use some sort of checkerboard like Sony.

A 1TB drive? That's good for what...about 10-15 games?
Sweet.

Basically forces you to spend more on other storage options. I'm excited regardless. Should be a great console and I like the idea of the XBOX One having tiers so that no one is left behind and all games still work. and they're supposedly working to add OG Xbox games to backwards compatibility.

Interesting, they've changed the memory configuration, That'll mean developers will need to still to optimize separately for the normal Xbox One quite a bit.

Looking impressive, still don't think the first party games are worth it though.

Yawn ..... sorry but I'm sticking with the PC

Count me on that... And now that's Xbox games have the "play anywhere" feature (so I can play then on Windows 10), there's no reason for me to loose my (PC) freedom.

What would Microsoft get loadtrucks of cash would be make Direct X a subscription software layer that you can run natively either on Windows o Linux... So it would dominate the gaming market full scale even more than it's now. Make Direct X work on any OS and easier to make games on it, then you create the iTunes of the gaming world. Part of the subscription could go for game developers so they make the games less expensive, and even launch "free" games included in this subscription plan. It could be annually, monthly, whatever. That would surpass the Xbox pass by far, make Direct X (that's mainly what Windows gaming is anyway) universal, and bridge the gap in Pc Gaming x console gaming. Any company could build an x86 gaming PC and call it a console, just add your Direct X account, just like XBox is doing nowadays with it's gold passes.

And anyone saying that this would make Pc gaming mor expensive, well, that would cut piracy that would make gaming prices lower, would create an walled garden "app store" style that could provide better quality games, could focus your OS of choice to be just a gaming machine easier, that would really give a new spin in the PC gaming world.

Just build a pc you can build one for the same price and have 3times the performance

Wrong, the gpu in this xbox is basically around an amd version of a 1070. For 3x this kind of power your probably approaching $1500+ on a PC.

More in line with the AMD 480 or Nvidia GTX 1060 and it still uses a glorified tablet CPU (AMD Jaguard) so dreams of 4+ mult-core optimization PC games will still be just...dreams
http://www.pcgamer.com/heres-how-microsofts-xbox-one-x-compares-to-a-pc/

I mean it's gonna be pretty hard to get PC users excited about a toy console no matter how you slice it, but at least Microsoft is trying to keep up with Sony.

XBox One X? Very original. It's must've taken the services of an Einstein to come come up with that unique nomenclature. Personally I would've called it the XBox One X/Z/SE/Plus/Ultra/Extreme/Premium/Supreme, just to be on the safe side, make things a bit simpler and not cause any confusion.

More in line with the AMD 480 or Nvidia GTX 1060 and it still uses a glorified tablet CPU (AMD Jaguard) so dreams of 4+ mult-core optimization PC games will still be just...dreams
http://www.pcgamer.com/heres-how-microsofts-xbox-one-x-compares-to-a-pc/

The jaguar part does suck, but I think the ps4 pro is more in the 470-480 range, this custom chip is going to be a bit more powerful than the ps4 pro.

Multicore utilization is here, overwatch is a great example. The latest Forza Horizon 3 update greatly improves performance now that they have added "multi-core utilization"

Back