Microsoft will sell customized "Microsoft Edition" versions of Samsung Galaxy S8

Jos

Staff

Samsung and Microsoft first signed a cross-license patent agreement in 2011 that resulted in Samsung paying licensing fees to Microsoft. The two reworked their deal in 2015, and though details were not made public, Samsung began preloading Microsoft apps on its phones and tablets. That’s been the case with Samsung Galaxy S6 and Galaxy S7 too but Microsoft is doing things differently this time around.

The company has announced that it will sell a ‘Microsoft Edition’ of the Samsung Galaxy S8 or Galaxy S8 Plus, beginning April 21 at brick-and-mortar Microsoft Store locations across the US. Interestingly, the device will have to be unboxed in-store and connected to the retailer’s Wi-Fi, which will start loading Microsoft apps into the device. The customization “ensures a best-in-class productivity experience with Microsoft applications such as Office, OneDrive, Cortana, Outlook and more.”

"Microsoft Store is committed to empowering its customers to achieve more through Office and Microsoft applications. The new device customization is an example of bringing together Microsoft applications on more devices so customers can work, play and connect from their pockets," the company said.

It’s worth noting that regular Samsung Galaxy S8 devices still come bundled with basic Microsoft apps like OneDrive, Skype, and Office. Microsoft Edition devices include a few additional apps, arranges those productivity applications on the home screen and provides additional accessibility to other Microsoft owned applications such as LinkedIn, Wunderlist and more.

The Galaxy S8 and S8+ Microsoft Edition devices will retail for $749.99 and $849.99, respectively, just like the normal carrier versions, with pre-orders beginning today.

Permalink to story.

“ensures a best-in-class productivity experience with Microsoft applications such as Office, OneDrive, Cortana, Outlook and more.”
Just a long winded way of saying "Ooh, look, more unwanted crapware we're expected to pay extra for. Bargain!".

Windows mobile 7 and 8 were fantastic if you did not want any apps, just a basic somewhat smartphone. I remember it being more snappy and fluids than both Android and iOS.

“ensures a best-in-class productivity experience with Microsoft applications such as Office, OneDrive, Cortana, Outlook and more.”
Just a long winded way of saying "Ooh, look, more unwanted crapware we're expected to pay extra for. Bargain!".

Guess you missed this part near the end of the article:
"...retail for $749.99 and $849.99, respectively, just like the normal carrier versions."

It would be more interesting to know if the phones will be unlocked, and if the added software can be later removed by the user - those features would be worthwhile. Back when I bought several WP phones direct from a local MS store in a mall, they had both carrier-locked and unlocked versions of several models.

Great smartphone intro for my wife to move up from using feature phones without all the Android bloat/confusion/insecurity by doing a useful set of core functions well, and (generally) consistently and simply. That even got me to switch from Android for over a year as I got fed up with having to buy new phones too frequently just to get security and OS updates with an ugly tradeoff between carrier long-term commitments, or ridiculously high prices. The MS fadeout on WP 10 got me looking at Android again when I found some good enough models for more like WP prices as with an ATT LG Phoenix2 GoPhone for $30 on Black Friday last year. It may be "only" midrange specs, and stuck on Android 6, but I can stand that till a newer model comes out this year with Android 7 for a similar price, say around Black Friday 2017...

Meanwhile the wife is quite content with her Lumia 640 on WP 8.1, as it does just enough for her needs, and my old one is her backup.

Windows mobile 7 and 8 were fantastic if you did not want any apps, just a basic somewhat smartphone. I remember it being more snappy and fluids than both Android and iOS.

Android 5 with no apps is pretty snappy too... What the use of an smartphone without apps?
I see your point, but... no.

Back