Microsoft, Yahoo delay finalizing search deal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matthew DeCarlo

Staff

Microsoft and Yahoo have postponed finalizing their search deal, according to an October 28 filing with the Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC). The companies intended to complete the deal by October 27, but have apparently run into some issues. "Given the complex nature of the transaction, there remain some details to be finalized," said the filing, adding that both parties are working as quickly as possible to reach agreements, and have made good progress to date.

The pending deal was first announced in July, and will see Microsoft's Bing as the exclusive search provider for Yahoo's sites. While a delay may seem like bad news, Yahoo and Microsoft have plenty of time to sort things out. An initial roll-out isn't slated until next year at some point, and it has been said that full implementation won't occur until at least 24 months after regulatory approval. The companies are now looking to close the deal by early 2010.

Permalink to story.

Wow. It'll take at least two years before a full implementation? How long term of a commitment will these two companies have to each other?

I wouldn't mind Bing so much if it wasn't so slow, if they didn't try to copy google with the whole "Just bing it!" stuff, and if they didn't have the goal of taking over google as the most used search engine, I mean comon, it's google.

I think that would be a horrible mind set of any competitor in any market. "Come on, it's Google!". I think Bing is a great search engine, and it has become my primary method of search. I will use Google from time to time when I'm looking for extra results though.

Mm.. I not sure if they should waste their time and money to build a search engine quickly , it will only fall , they should build the foundation bit by bit , instead of hurrying in panic .

I wonder if Bing is going to become as powerful as Google. Microsoft being as powerful as it is, who knows, only time will tell...

With Yahoo's recent improvement in business operations, wonder if they will start to back away from a deep partnership from Microsoft.

They may try but Google to catch up to Google but I highly doubt they will catch up. Yahoo used to be it... they are just so yesterday at this point, much like MySpace is so yesterday compaired to Facebook.

I have been using Bing more and more lately. I used Google maps and it couldn't find the address.Bing no problem, Bing is my primary mapping and direction solution now. Google is still pretty good but Bing is closing in.With the Yahoo deal who knows ...

Im just going to stick to google, simple and to the point. Google, yahoo, bing are all the same to me they don't/can't really provide any real difference among each other. Your just searching for info and that's really it. I notice that Bing kinda came out of nowhere to be among the big players and now is making its mark, i feel in the end google will always remain on top.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back