Microsoft's August Windows update pulled following 'Blue Screen of Death' reports

Himanshu Arora

Staff

Just a few days after Microsoft rolled out its latest Windows update, the company has pulled it, and is recommending users to uninstall it. The move comes after there were reports that the update caused the infamous Blue Screen of Death (BSOD) to pop up.

At the heart of the matter are four individual updates (298279129702282975719, and 297533) that addressed security and features. The Redmond-based company identified three issues regarding the behavior it had seen when users installed these updates.

First, fonts installed in a location other than the default fonts directory (%windir%\fonts\) cannot be changed when they are loaded into any active session. Attempts to change, replace, or delete these fonts will be blocked, and a "File in use" message will be presented. Second, fonts don’t render correctly. Third, and the most critical one, systems may crash with a 0x50 Stop error message, preventing them from starting correctly.

"Microsoft recommends that customers uninstall this update. As an added precaution, Microsoft has removed the download links to the 2982791 security update", the company wrote in its updated MS14-045 security bulletin. If you've downloaded and installed the update, follow the detailed steps mentioned in Microsoft Knowledge Base Article 2982791 to uninstall it.

Of course, this isn't the first time a Windows Update has run into problems. Back in 2013, the software giant urged Windows 7 users to uninstall an update that resulted in a BSOD. Late last year, the company pulled its Windows RT 8.1 update from the Windows Store after users started experiencing boot configuration data errors, resulting in BSOD.

Permalink to story.

I installed all the updates from this past Patch Tuesday (August Update) and have not had any problems at all. I wonder what percentage of updated systems were affected?

I only updated this morning (local time Philippines). am I safe? no BSOD on my windows 8.1 machines yet (intel core i3-530, intel g630).

I installed the update on Windows 7 x64 as soon as it was available and haven't detected any problems so far. I'm not going to bother uninstalling.

Yes, it did not affect everyone. And yes, why would you follow Microsoft's recommendation to uninstall it.

This is why I turn automatic updates OFF.
I decide what to update and when.

1) The last Update in question illustrated in the article is inaccurate; let it read: " KB- 2975331 " ;

2) Anyone that has not yet experienced the negative effects of these flawed updates are wrong in believing, let alone stating, "you're fine, so keep them". EVERYONE remains vulnerable as long as these Updates remain installed and have a very likely chance to experience their wrath in the future.

THE BOTTOM LINE IS THIS: UNINSTALL THESE UPDATES REGARDLESS OF YOUR PERCEIVED SAFETY TO THEM....PERIOD !

1) The last Update in question illustrated in the article is inaccurate; let it read: " KB- 2975331 " ;

2) Anyone that has not yet experienced the negative effects of these flawed updates are wrong in believing, let alone stating, "you're fine, so keep them". EVERYONE remains vulnerable as long as these Updates remain installed and have a very likely chance to experience their wrath in the future.

THE BOTTOM LINE IS THIS: UNINSTALL THESE UPDATES REGARDLESS OF YOUR PERCEIVED SAFETY TO THEM....PERIOD !

One more thing: It appears this issue only affects WIN 7 & 8 x64. x32 is unaffected.

One more thing: It appears this issue only affects WIN 7 & 8 x64. x32 is unaffected.

...and FINALLY: these Updates have since been cancelled by MS, so upon your Uninstall, they will not appear for recommended installation again upon your seeking for updates.

Dont have to reinstall windows.
You can just delete fntcache.dat in c:\windows\system32

cd /d c:\windows\system32
del fntcache.dat
Well that solves everything!
Now...how does he access the OS partition when the OS won't load even in safe mode, and he doesn't have another computer with which to access the drive?

So automated updates is once again being known as an Automated BSOD!

I'm glad I have my automated updates turned off, and will never know if I would have been effected.

I would like to know the answer to that as well, because my OS won't boot at all and it's going to be a hassle for me to find someone to let me use their tower to access my drive.

If you have an optical drive, a Linux Boot Disk may help.
If you already had a Linux Boot Disk handy you mean?
Downloading the iso and burning a bootable disc might be problematic if your only computer refuses to load the OS.

Cool if you did so beforehand, but if you're that well prepared then you'd likely have a backup OS image stored somewhere anyway (external/internal HDD, USB stick etc.).

That's what ballmer gets for buying the clippers. Why didn't he mind his own business? The owner can't do whet he wants with his own money in a democracy. Someone should tell the government how to spend their $100 trillion debt. With municipal debt it's probably closer to a quadrillion.

If you have an optical drive, a Linux Boot Disk may help.
If you already had a Linux Boot Disk handy you mean?
Downloading the iso and burning a bootable disc might be problematic if your only computer refuses to load the OS.

Cool if you did so beforehand, but if you're that well prepared then you'd likely have a backup OS image stored somewhere anyway (external/internal HDD, USB stick etc.).

Not many people would back up their OS, but chances the windows installation disk may provide the recovery option to access command prompt.

If you lost the disk, then yes, you may have to ask a friend to download the Windows 7 install/boot disk or a Linux live image (let say, Fedora) for you.

Not many people would back up their OS, but chances the windows installation disk may provide the recovery option to access command prompt.
In this case the recovery option failed. It was the first thing I suggested to my father since his Win7 retail package was to hand.

Back