Microsoft's Copilot will be your AI personal assistant in Windows 11

nanoguy

Staff member
The big picture: Microsoft has been adding OpenAI's technology into all of its software and services, guided by the belief that AI can transform the way people use productivity apps, web browsers, search engines, and various cloud services. That vision includes an AI-based personal digital assistant that will soon live inside Windows 11 as well as AI tweaks for apps like the Microsoft Store.

Back in 2015, Microsoft introduced Cortana alongside Windows 10 and promoted it as a digital personal assistant that could help you with many of your daily tasks. After an underwhelming reception and a few attempts to bring it to smart home devices, the company gave up on its initial ambitions and started neutering Cortana – first by decoupling it from Windows Search, then by stripping away some of its capabilities, and finally burying pieces of its digital corpse into Microsoft Teams, Outlook, Microsoft ToDo, and other productivity apps.

Fast forward to 2023, and Microsoft is announcing an AI-based personal assistant for Windows 11 that you'll be able to invoke from the taskbar. The Windows "Copilot" will work in a similar way to the one inside Office apps, Microsoft Edge, and GitHub – as a sidebar that can be easily called into action when you need help with a particular task.

The difference is that Windows Copilot will live alongside Bing Chat on the taskbar, and you'll be able to use it across all apps. Panos Panay, who currently presides over the Windows and Devices division, explains that Copilot makes "every user a power user, helping you take action, customize your settings, and seamlessly connect across your favorite apps."

In other words, this new tool should – at least in theory – make it easier for you to rewrite, summarize, or explain bits of content you're viewing inside an app, among other things. The interface is similar to that of Bing Chat, and you'll be able to ask questions that usually require switching the context to a web browser.

It's worth noting that Copilot isn't designed as a replacement for the search bar in Windows 11. Panay says it's more like a personal assistant that follows you around while you work across different apps. By contrast, the search bar is an isolated tool and the Bing Chat button is just a basic link that always takes you inside a web browser.

You'll also be able to ask Copilot for things like adjusting your settings so you can focus on the task at hand, or perform various other actions on your PC. Developers will be able to extend the functionality of Windows Copilot with the same plugins they're building for tools like Bing Chat and ChatGPT, and any future improvements to those will carry over to Windows Copilot.

Microsoft seems determined to infuse all of its software with AI smarts, and that includes the Microsoft Store in Windows 11. The company will be adding an "AI Hub" where you can find a curated list of AI-powered apps, and you'll soon be able to view an AI-generated summary of an app's user reviews. Developers will be able to use AI for generating search tags for their apps so they're easier to discover in Windows Store and Bing searches.

Many industry watchers were predicting that Microsoft would wait until Windows 12 to introduce more AI-based features. Now that Windows Copilot is coming into focus and the Microsoft Store is getting an AI makeover, it looks like the company is enthusiastically pushing ahead with the idea that AI is going to transform the way you do things in Windows.

As for how soon you can try Windows Copilot, Microsoft says it will start a public preview in June before rolling the feature to all Windows 11 users. It will be interesting to see if Copilot will be able to succeed where Cortana has failed.

Permalink to story.

"Microsoft's Windows Copilot will be your AI personal assistant in Windows 11".
Your AI personal assistant, or MIcrosoft AI assistant, to illegaly steal and milk you of all your data?
This is the real question, your AI, our AI, or Microsoft corporation AI?

Your AI personal assistant, or MIcrosoft AI assistant, to illegaly steal and milk you of all your data?
The moment you touch any electronic device you`re getting "milked" of your data, so, no problems here. And it`s legal, because it`s written somewhere in the 10-20 pages of agreement that you`re greeted with. That, or you won`t be able to use it. "The HumancentiPad" Southpark episode explains it better. As for AI, everybody is a contrarian, because it`s trending. There`s something about the hype, that divides people into overenthusiastic and outright denialists. Do the benefits outweigh the usual bad stuff? Idk myself yet, but hey, Musk is struggling to get it, so, be informed, use it, see if it`s helpful and then have as much as an unbiased opinion as you can.

The moment you touch any electronic device you`re getting "milked" of your data, so, no problems here. And it`s legal, because it`s written somewhere in the 10-20 pages of agreement that you`re greeted with. That, or you won`t be able to use it. "The HumancentiPad" Southpark episode explains it better. As for AI, everybody is a contrarian, because it`s trending. There`s something about the hype, that divides people into overenthusiastic and outright denialists. Do the benefits outweigh the usual bad stuff? Idk myself yet, but hey, Musk is struggling to get it, so, be informed, use it, see if it`s helpful and then have as much as an unbiased opinion as you can.
If you consider that being "milked" by a corporation like Google is not a problem it is your personal choice, though at least an onerous one for you.
Others simply choose better, fair contracts instead of being "milked".
And NO! it is not legal, as you imply by ignorance or intentionally.
Regardless, I do not mind to school those who do not know or are misinformed.
Besides data and info which Microsoft, or Google for example, collects from users, covered by their infamous EULAs, these corporation illegally, and secretly collect data and info about users from the entire world without their explicit consent, and worse without their knowledge, and violating many laws.
Check these:

And things are going worse and worse:

If you really want to find the facts, or improve your vision about Corporations like Google, Microsoft etc, I propose to make your own research and find yourself the truth buried and hidden by them.\

From this article, and Microsoft history of violating privacy, my conclusion is that Microsoft will rather use this OpenAI's technology to better collect users data.

Good luck and be vigilant, otherwise you may be very easy robbed by corporations like Microsoft, Google and ending up poor, instead of trading your personal data for the real price on the market, if you choose to trade it or do not find as being a problem. At least do not rush and undervalue yourself, in relation with corporations like Google, Meta, Microsoft, Apple etc.
Oh, and another advice, when you do research like these use different search engines, not Google or Bing, because those are hiding the real info, or intentionally bury it after page no. 1001 of search, so you rather discard your search than helping you to find the inconvenient truth about them. Better is to find alternative sources of informations. You can start with joe Rogan for example. On TikTok you can also find good info, but on TikTok I suggest to filter carefully your preferences to not be bombarded with childish, foolish or only funny videos.
On Tik Tok, I found and recommend content creators like Dr. Richard Wolf.

P.S. Thank you for the suggestion to watch "The HumancentiPad" Southpark episode. Definitely I'll look into it. Will be the 1st, hope that will be a great introduction into Southpark universe which I heard that is amazing.

Last edited:
"Don't ask questions, just consume product and get excited for next product."

Last edited:
Man, I watched Southpark, a part of that episode, and anothers and I thank you again.
Hope that what I found is this which you reffer to:
Southpark has the kind of humor which makes me laugh loudly and for minutes.
Did not know that Southpark is more profound and very grounded in reality as I would expected.
Now I have something to watch and have fun everyday for a long time (y) (Y)

P.S. Dude, Southpark is a goldenmine and absurdly hilarious in the same time. I watched

BTW is Southpark allowed on TV with all those "swearing" words, or is it PG rated somehow? Or episodes with that kind of hilarious language are only on internet?

Last edited:
"Don't ask questions, just consume product and get excited for next product.
I've just watched Southpark and I am laughing even now, while I am responding to you.
And I am excited for all next episodes of Southpark :joy:

Last edited:
While it is natural for interfaces to get more close to normal human interaction as this allow us to get the knowledge faster and easier, I do not believe MS won't add a number of shenanigans to ensure that he is in control. Critical thinking and access to unbiased data is much more difficult when AI present it in a voice of good, smart guy and MS on top of that will ensure that users will be filled with anything they think would make them money. Such products should come open and all the algorithms related to presented data should be accessible for analysis.

There is absolutely nothing on my linux laptop that milking my data without my consent. No agreement involved, either. And 10-20 pages of agreement actually do not matter, if breaks my country policy - I.e. they need to follow GDPR no matter what did they put in UA, and if they do not, then EU is going to earn extra monies unless they do.
But yeah, that is edge case and in general you're right.
For me AI is just another tool, quite interesting one, but as any other tool, it can be (and will be!) used in malicious ways.

While it is natural for interfaces to get more close to normal human interaction as this allow us to get the knowledge faster and easier, I do not believe MS won't add a number of shenanigans to ensure that he is in control. Critical thinking and access to unbiased data is much more difficult when AI present it in a voice of good, smart guy and MS on top of that will ensure that users will be filled with anything they think would make them money. Such products should come open and all the algorithms related to presented data should be accessible for analysis.

There is absolutely nothing on my linux laptop that milking my data without my consent. No agreement involved, either. And 10-20 pages of agreement actually do not matter, if breaks my country policy - I.e. they need to follow GDPR no matter what did they put in UA, and if they do not, then EU is going to earn extra monies unless they do.
But yeah, that is edge case and in general you're right.
For me AI is just another tool, quite interesting one, but as any other tool, it can be (and will be!) used in malicious ways.
Yep, linux is the exception. But even Ubuntu is still too tech savvy for most people and that's really a shame.

Yep, linux is the exception. But even Ubuntu is still too tech savvy for most people and that's really a shame.
I think steam deck proved otherwise. Just to use a system no additional knowledge is required, even playing games from steam is straight forward. But tinkering is required to run epic or gog, but not too much really. Linux changed a lot last 3 years.

Let me see: Clippy - DEAD. Cortana - DEAD, and somehow, M$ thinks that this AI crap (I'm beginning to call it AHI - A$$ Hole Intelligence) is going to live?? 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Some people may find this AHI crap useful or entertaining, but I don't find it either. Its just a distraction to me that hampers my productivity. I've turned if off in every place I can.

As an assistant for settings in any windows version, I would not trust it especially if I were asking it to shut off the spyware settings Windohs is known to have.

Microsoft - where we keep trying things over and over again and expect different results. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
The big picture: Microsoft has been adding OpenAI's technology into all of its software and services, guided by the belief that AI can transform the way people use productivity apps, web browsers, search engines, and various cloud services. That vision includes an AI-based personal digital assistant that will soon live inside Windows 11 as well as AI tweaks for apps like the Microsoft Store.

Back in 2015, Microsoft introduced Cortana alongside Windows 10 and promoted it as a digital personal assistant that could help you with many of your daily tasks. After an underwhelming reception and a few attempts to bring it to smart home devices, the company gave up on its initial ambitions and started neutering Cortana – first by decoupling it from Windows Search, then by stripping away some of its capabilities, and finally burying pieces of its digital corpse into Microsoft Teams, Outlook, Microsoft ToDo, and other productivity apps.

Fast forward to 2023, and Microsoft is announcing an AI-based personal assistant for Windows 11 that you'll be able to invoke from the taskbar. The Windows "Copilot" will work in a similar way to the one inside Office apps, Microsoft Edge, and GitHub – as a sidebar that can be easily called into action when you need help with a particular task.

The difference is that Windows Copilot will live alongside Bing Chat on the taskbar, and you'll be able to use it across all apps. Panos Panay, who currently presides over the Windows and Devices division, explains that Copilot makes "every user a power user, helping you take action, customize your settings, and seamlessly connect across your favorite apps."

In other words, this new tool should – at least in theory – make it easier for you to rewrite, summarize, or explain bits of content you're viewing inside an app, among other things. The interface is similar to that of Bing Chat, and you'll be able to ask questions that usually require switching the context to a web browser.

It's worth noting that Copilot isn't designed as a replacement for the search bar in Windows 11. Panay says it's more like a personal assistant that follows you around while you work across different apps. By contrast, the search bar is an isolated tool and the Bing Chat button is just a basic link that always takes you inside a web browser.

You'll also be able to ask Copilot for things like adjusting your settings so you can focus on the task at hand, or perform various other actions on your PC. Developers will be able to extend the functionality of Windows Copilot with the same plugins they're building for tools like Bing Chat and ChatGPT, and any future improvements to those will carry over to Windows Copilot.

Microsoft seems determined to infuse all of its software with AI smarts, and that includes the Microsoft Store in Windows 11. The company will be adding an "AI Hub" where you can find a curated list of AI-powered apps, and you'll soon be able to view an AI-generated summary of an app's user reviews. Developers will be able to use AI for generating search tags for their apps so they're easier to discover in Windows Store and Bing searches.

Many industry watchers were predicting that Microsoft would wait until Windows 12 to introduce more AI-based features. Now that Windows Copilot is coming into focus and the Microsoft Store is getting an AI makeover, it looks like the company is enthusiastically pushing ahead with the idea that AI is going to transform the way you do things in Windows.

As for how soon you can try Windows Copilot, Microsoft says it will start a public preview in June before rolling the feature to all Windows 11 users. It will be interesting to see if Copilot will be able to succeed where Cortana has failed.

Permalink to story.

Just like all the other virtual assistants, Hard passs.

Back