Microsoft's studio-grade Skype TX targets broadcasters

Shawn Knight

Staff member

microsoft skype video broadcasters skype tx studio-grade audio

Microsoft on Monday announced a new Skype solution for those in broadcast. It’s called Skype TX and is the result of a recent acquisition of long-time broadcast partner Cat and Mouse according to a post on the official Skype blog.

Built on the existing Cat and Mouse technology, Skype TX is a studio-grade software that delivers high quality audio and video output to seamlessly connect broadcast and media productions with people around the world. Microsoft believes TX will help broadcasters develop new formats and creative concepts for live, video on demand and other digital content in an effort to create more engaging moments.

Digging a bit deeper, Skype TX supports the HD-SDI broadcast standard and will be free of audio / visual distractions such as call notifications and ads. What’s more, the software will be able to automatically correct aspect ratio conflicts while its dynamic environment allows for multiple, simultaneous Skype calls on one management interface.

There’s also operator previews, auto fallback to still and call quality monitoring – or in other words, virtually everything that a professional broadcast studio could ask for in a video calling software.

Skype TX will be part of the Skype in Media offering in the coming years, we’re told. No word yet on how much the new software will cost but that likely won’t be a barrier as most upper echelon news agencies and the like would no doubt pay the price for better quality broadcasts.

Permalink to story.

Thanks for bringing so much positive energy to TechSpot.

No problem, hey add me on skype so I can get your IP :p

Seriously their are soo many flaws in skype its unreal microsoft should be embarrassed...
Make sure you are running the latest version of Skype. Sometimes it fails to update and I am numerous versions behind.

Good to see the MS is bringing Skype to the professional sector.

Make sure you are running the latest version of Skype. Sometimes it fails to update and I am numerous versions behind.

Good to see the MS is bringing Skype to the professional sector.

Mine is up to date but still security isnt microsoft concern at all...

Seriously their are soo many flaws in skype its unreal microsoft should be embarrassed...
Seriously my friend, this obsession you have with Microsoft is getting old now. There is nothing Microsoft does that pleases you is there? Every article that even has a hint of the word 'Microsoft' in it, and you're there like a bad rash. You claim to use Linux, and that already speaks volumes about you, and not in a good way! It goes something like this, "Microsoft the evil money sapping conglomerate", right?

Seriously my friend, this obsession you have with Microsoft is getting old now. There is nothing Microsoft does that pleases you is there? Every article that even has a hint of the word 'Microsoft' in it, and you're there like a bad rash. You claim to use Linux, and that already speaks volumes about you, and not in a good way! It goes something like this, "Microsoft the evil money sapping conglomerate", right?

Stop trying to murder people mate I have only tried linux and didnt like it over the past 5yrs I have spent less than a few seconds on linux I use windows 8, I dont know about you but finding someones IP and all their greasy details with just typing their skype username into google is a MASSIVE security flaw to me.

But its ok if your into no security and no privacy thats cool with me just give me your skype username so I can make sure it takes a few month for you to get on the internet again :)

Stop trying to murder people mate I have only tried linux and didnt like it over the past 5yrs I have spent less than a few seconds on linux I use windows 8, I dont know about you but finding someones IP and all their greasy details with just typing their skype username into google is a MASSIVE security flaw to me.

But its ok if your into no security and no privacy thats cool with me just give me your skype username so I can make sure it takes a few month for you to get on the internet again :)

Oh, please, because you can do so much with a person's IP address except boot them offline or waste resources on a sustained DDoS attack on them. Wait, I forgot you can learn what city they live in as well! Big deal, every website you visit has your IP address. The way I see it, Skype replaced MSN for instant messaging, and is a pretty decent VoIP application. It allows you to communicate far more effectively than MSN IM did, and allows people to circumvent international calling charges, provided they have the Internet speeds to use VoIP without much lag. Whether Microsoft will succeed in this move can't really be determined now, but it's good that they're trying to reach more markets.

Oh, please, because you can do so much with a person's IP address except boot them offline or waste resources on a sustained DDoS attack on them. Wait, I forgot you can learn what city they live in as well! Big deal, every website you visit has your IP address. The way I see it, Skype replaced MSN for instant messaging, and is a pretty decent VoIP application. It allows you to communicate far more effectively than MSN IM did, and allows people to circumvent international calling charges, provided they have the Internet speeds to use VoIP without much lag. Whether Microsoft will succeed in this move can't really be determined now, but it's good that they're trying to reach more markets.

So your saying because microsoft rakes in billions they can skimp out on security??? Are you seriously telling me that security isnt an issue like seriously....

So your saying because microsoft rakes in billions they can skimp out on security??? Are you seriously telling me that security isnt an issue like seriously....
Did you read my post? I didn't say security isn't important, I work in cyber-security and realize its importance more than most. What I did say is that disclosing IP addresses isn't the huge security risk you're making it out to be.

Back