Mini pci modem card not detected

Status
Not open for further replies.

fanmaker

I'm setting up a Thinkpad 2647(T22 or 23?) with win98se for a technophobic neighbour.
Trying to set up a new dial up account, (the owner doesn't have broadband) the screen asks me to install a new modem.
Device manager doesn't show any icon for a modem in its window, but does show query marks against all the pci entries including the PCI serial controller.
Properties for these all show "No driver installed for this device", and Resources show "...do not match any known configuration".

I've run Everest (ver 1.51), and that tells me there is an AT&T/lucent winmodem present in the PCI devices list.

I've re-seated the mini pci card which is a combo modem/LAN(?) card but no change.
Am I on the right track in trying to locate the problem, or looking in the wrong direction ?
Is it a software problem of not having the pci drivers installed, or have I got a duff card ?

Update.
I've been into the bios settings, and the first thing I noticed was a mac address of the lan card, but no mention of a modem.
Went to config/network, where it showed lots of lan entries - "wake up on lan" etc but still no mention of modem anywhere I can see.
Am I looking in the wrong place ?
Do I need to go down all the .dll entries in Everest to see if there are drivers missing ?
If I identify the combo card, find the drivers on the net somewhere(?) then download them to this pc, where do I file them on the problem machine ?
Grateful for advice.
John

Googled problem and found windowshelp.com.
Followed the advice and loaded a generic winmodem driver.
So far so good.
Will update later.
John

You should be able to use the driver at www.lenovo.com support and download site. Just enter the full type number without the dashes, examin the listed modem for that unit, then download the driver that fits the description in the Thinkpad Matrix for that model.
The modem will not show up until you run the install of that download.

Thanks raybay, I'll do that.
John

Well, we seem to have solved the problem. Loading the generic driver may have been an unnecessary step in the process, but it did show me that the problem was solvable.
Raybay's link to the lenovo site gave me the correct driver, so just repeating the process did the trick.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back