Mirroring/raiding HDD and SSD

yRaz

So I'm not really sure how to ask this question so I'll explain what I'm trying to do. I'm looking at buying an 8TB SSD for fast storage and want everything I put on it to be copied EXACTLY to 8TB Harddrive in the background as a sort of raid but don't want the SSD to be slowed down buy the HDD. If I copy something to it I want it put on in the background and I delete something from it I also want it deleted from the HDD. I was googling "mirroring" a drive, but everything that pops up is about mirroring a bootdrive to a new drive so you don't have to reinstall windows your OS. It's really difficult for me to find information on how this stuff works so I figured I'd just ask here, please don't make fun of me.

I'm also considering turning an old ryzen 1700 PC into a NAS so putting 2 8TB HDD's in raid in that machine is an option. Although, again, if I'm going to have a NAS I'd like to be able to copy things to and from that quickly. Something like throw a 1TB NVMe drive in there and have 2 8TB drives in raid, so, same problem. However, the problem with that is I only have 1gig networking so I'd still be limited to standard HDD speeds. I am considering upgrading to 10gig networking in the future but that's an expensive project that I'm not really interested in doing right now.

I do work with large amounts of data often enough that this would save me a good bit of time

Under Linux, you can get the "lazy write" mirroring you describe with LVM. With Windows, software mirroring or a Windows storage space is going to be slower on writes (though a bit faster on reads). But any generic backup software will do essentially what you want -- it will run in the background, copying modified files to the backup volume.

Under Linux, you can get the "lazy write" mirroring you describe with LVM. With Windows, software mirroring or a Windows storage space is going to be slower on writes (though a bit faster on reads). But any generic backup software will do essentially what you want -- it will run in the background, copying modified files to the backup volume.
after looking at a few programs I feel like an ***** for not wording it like that. I just formatted a new drive, saw "mirroring" and guess I got stuck on wording it like that. Thanks, I appreciate it.

Back