Missing hard drive space after system restore?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

I have quite a problem here. I have an HP A6200N (French) computer, which is only about 10 months old. I caught a virus two days ago and as nothing could be done, I used the master CDs that were given to me with the computer that were supposed to restore everything back to factory settings...

But there's a bit of a problem. The restore itself did work and reinstalled Windows Vista... but there's a serious HDD issue. I have 2 HDDs in my computer. I have a 160GB Western Digital (WDC WD16 00JD-22HBB0) that was added in from my previous computer and a 360GB Seagate Barracuda (ST336032) that was this computer's main hard drive. Thing is, before I did the restore, I had 4 partitions:

C: was my main partition (329GB), D: was my Documents partition (19.5GB), E: was the factory image drive (not sure how big it was) and F: is the other hard drive (129GB).

After the restore, this is what I have...

C: is now 48.8GB, D: is still 19.5GB, E: is 9.76GB and F: is still 129GB.

Where has all my hard drive space gone? All I did was slip the master CD in and chose "restore to factory settings" and the rest was pretty much done by itself. When I finally got back into Vista, when I checked into My Computer, I got the shock of finding out my C: shrunk from 329GB to 48.8GB!

I can definitely hold my own in multimedia apps but I'm honestly not much tech-savvy at all when it comes to hardware and systems properties. Could anyone point out what the problem might be? Anyone have any idea what could have happened?

Thanks so much! I hadn't thought about doing that. Turns out the master CDs made a 50GB partition for Vista and the rest was unallocated space. As I said, I'm not very savvy when it comes to these things.

Problem solved. :)

Thanks so much! I hadn't thought about doing that. Turns out the master CDs made a 50GB partition for Vista and the rest was unallocated space. As I said, I'm not very savvy when it comes to these things.

Problem solved.

Good News! Glad to hear :grinthumb

And no worries. Glad to help. We all started learning at some point!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back