Missing MSVCP71.dll

Status
Not open for further replies.

Meilei

Just a few minutes ago, after loading up Windows, I received this error message that said:

"reader_sl.exe - Unable To Locate Component
This application has failed to start because MSVCP71.dll was not found. Re-installing the application may fix this problem."

The only thing I can think of that could have caused this were the programs I has uninstalled yesterday. On the top of my head, I remembered uninstalling Limewire, Kal Online (online game), and a training course that I was taking.

Of course, I doubt it could be the game or Limewire that had anything to do with this since I had uninstalled and reinstalled these programs once or twice before without this problem occurring. I also don't think it's the training course since I remembered uninstalling and reinstalling it after the self-test in the program refused to respond when selecting answers to the questions.

Can someone help me with this problem, please?

Did you install Adobe Reader recently? it's that or something like it.

I couldn't help but notice you unistalled Limewire. That's a good start but if you were using it then your computer has spyware on it, no question about it. Any of those peer-to-peer filesharing networks are rampant with spyware. And spyware can cause all kinds of different problems. If you weren't checking for spyware, here's what I recommend (all are available at the Download section at this site):

1) AVG 8
2) Ad-Aware 2008
3) Spybot Search & Destroy

Repost with results.

-- Andy

I haven't installed Adobe Reader reccently.

I don't have AVG, but I do used NOD32 and Spybot Search and Destroy.

After reading your post, I did a Spybot scan for spyware. I found 1 item and removed it. I ran an anti-virus scan only 2 or 3 days ago.

What should I do now?

I went to the link that CCT provided, but I don't know if I should try to download and replace the missing file. After all, I have no experience in this type of problem, and I'm not sure what to do after I download the file.

Also, how do I know if it is safe to download this sort of file over the Internet?

But do yo have Adobe Reader installed? Something else may have corrupted the DLL. Uninstalling Adobe Reader and re-installing should fix the problem. Click here.

-- Andy

Yay, it worked! I guess that's all I needed to do to get it fixed.

Thank you so much! And great job!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back