Missing wdf01000.sys file

Hello,
I have windows 7 (32) based pc, and all of a sudden, my audio card stopped working. I looked into the device manager, and found a bunch of devices with yellow explanation point, with error "code 3". I tried searching for a solution, and I found that it might be because a corrupt file: wdf01000.sys. I went to the "windows\system32\drivers" folder; however I couldn’t find this specific file. Also tried entering the registry tool, and look for registry entries on "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\Wdf01000" but I couldn’t find them either. I tried performing this article: http://www.explosiveknowledge.net/main/2012/02/05/drvcd3/ with no success: didn't find the file, and the registry file that I made won't update the pc registry. I think that is all because some sort of a virus. Are you familiar with this type of behavior? What should I do next?
Thanks,
sam.

Did you try going back to a windows restore point before this happen, this very well may solve your problem, The only other thing is you could try reinstalling the drivers for your audio.

[FONT=Calibri]Of course I tried restoring, but there are no restoration points. It could be a virus that deleted them entirely. This is not just the sound card (which I already tried reinstalling its drivers), it is all kind of drivers that are marked with a yellow "!". This is not a driver issue for sure; I have to restore this file: wdf01000.sys and its registry entries.[/FONT]

You have stated you need to reinstall the wdf01000 sys. file plus reg entries. I really doubt this one file would have solved your problem. Just by what you have posted, Sounds like a virus did a number on windows. Your best bet would be to back up your personal files and do a full factory install.. You could spend days trying to repair the damage and be at the same place you are now. If you still want to try the wdf01000.sys file is hidden, You will need to enable ( Show hidden files folders and drives) Under folders options. Good Luck.

I had a similar problem with my boss's laptop. It stopped working over the weekend because wdf01000.sys had been quarantined by Symantec Endpoint Protection. File seems clean as best as I can tell from other AV programs so I unquarantined the file and rebooted. Everything is working again. I also manually updated the virus defs and did a full scan of the system afterward which found no problems. I'm guessing that perhaps there was a bad virus def out there that may have caused a false positive.

Back