Mixed Wired\Wireless network help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, I want to set up a mixed network because I recently got a laptop and want it on the network. My current hardware is a Motorola SBG900 Gateway which has the internet connection, and a Network Everywhere Linksys NR041 (wired) router connected through wire to the Gateway.

The question would be, can I set up a mixed Wired\Wireless LAN with only that, or is a bridge\wireless router forcefully needed? I have 2 computers connected through wires on the linksys router, and they both have access to internet as well as complete LAN functionality between them.

The issue is that my wireless laptop cannot see the computers on the linksys router and I guess it could be a configuration issue. The laptop connects wirelessly directly to the Gateway and also has internet access (but it seems no LAN access to the wired router). Is worth mentioning that the wired computers connected to the router are running on Windows XP 32 SP3 & 64 SP2 and the laptop is on Vista home premium 32.

The gateway detects both the router and the laptop in the DHCP leases.

The configuration I have on the Wired desktop computers is the following:
(Static IP's)
IP: 192.168.1.XXX <---- each its different ip
Subnet mask: 255.255.255.0
Default gateway: 192.168.1.1 <------ Linksys router​

The config for the linksys NR041 router is the following
(Static IP)
LAN IP: 192.168.1.1
DHCP Server: Disabled <---- Use it for hosting needs.

(Automatically Detected WAN)
WAN IP: 192.168.0.3 <---- Router IP on the Gateway
Default gateway: 192.168.0.1 <---- Gateway LAN IP​

The config for the SBG900 gateway is the following:
LAN IP: 192.168.0.1
DHCP Server: Enabled​

The laptop is set to automatically get the configuration but should be as follows:
(Gateway) LAN IP: 192.168.0.2
Default gateway: 192.168.0.1 <--- Gateway LAN IP​

All computers on the same Workgroup and file sharing enabled.

I consider myself new to networking so I'd be happy to see if someone could help me a bit. Thanks.

Setup is always confusing to all of us the first time...
But perhaps you have not given us enough information. Which of those two devices (Linksys or Motorola) has the wireless emitter? I assume that is the Motorola.
But if you are connecting the Linksys to the Motorla, it must have the Wireless emitter to make things work properly... and so your setup is not right on the LinkSys (assuming it also has wireless)
Tell us a bit more about how they are in the chain.
Both computers and the laptop ideally should be working off the same router. I assume the Linkysy has four wired ports and a Wireless emitter. If not, tell us what you have, and the order in which they are placed.
Is one (perhaps the Motorola) connected to your cable or DSL provider?

Thanks for the reply.

The Motorola Gateway is the one with wireless emitter, as well as the one that is connected to the Cable provider (internet).

The linksys router is not wireless, and it's connected to the Gateway through the only Ethernet jack in the gateway. The desktop computers are connected through wires to the linksys router. The laptop connects wirelessly (directly) to the wireless gateway, I get what you say about needing them all connected to the same router, and what I was planning was using the Gateway for this purpose. The layout looks something like this:

Cable
Internet === Motorola Wireless ==== Linksys NR041 wired router
....................SBG900 Gateway.................||.........................||
................................||..............................||........................||
................................||.......................Computer A........Computer B
................................||...........................wired...................wired
..........................Wireless
...........................Laptop(s)

I could just connect the laptop with an ethernet cable to the linksys router and then it would work, but the linksys router only supports 3 (4 total but one jack doesn't work) and there are times in which I have more than 4 computers and I would like to get them all on the LAN. As I said above the Gateway recognizes both the router and my laptop on it's LAN, so I really think it to be possible to enable file sharing and the such.

The problem is probably that the wired computers are on a different subnet than the laptop (since they are behind a second router). If the Motorola device supports it, you would need to create a static route that directs the traffic from the laptop to the wired computers.

The problem is probably that the wired computers are on a different subnet than the laptop (since they are behind a second router). If the Motorola device supports it, you would need to create a static route that directs the traffic from the laptop to the wired computers.

Isn't the subnet set in the IP configurations (my first post)?
If what you say is be the case, then would I have to set every extra wireless device that wants access to the wired computers?

Simply the fact that one jack does not work, would be all that I need to replace that unit entirely... and get something you know is in perfect shape...

Simply the fact that one jack does not work, would be all that I need to replace that unit entirely... and get something you know is in perfect shape...

I have gotten no problems from the wired router, the LAN on that device works correctly as well as the internet connection, the problem is that the Gateway doesn't seem to get a LAN connection between the wireless laptops and the wired router.

Despite the fact that perfection is unattainable, I would change that device.

Thanks, I'll consider it, but if the issue is a configuration problem I think it won't make a difference, I guess I'll just end up getting a normal wireless router... though I thought Gateways had the same functionality.

It has nothing to do with what ports are working. You would not need to configure every wireless device. You just need to setup a static route on your Motorola device that points traffic to the LAN of the Linksys device. The subnet I was referring to is not the subnet mask that you are thinking of. A subnet is a group of pc's within a given range of IP addresses. The subnet mask just determines what subnet each pc is in. I know it sounds confusing, and it is if you're not sure how networks function. The easiest thing for you to do would be buy a wireless router to replace the Linksys, then you dont need to worry about static routes or subnets.

It has nothing to do with what ports are working. You would not need to configure every wireless device. You just need to setup a static route on your Motorola device that points traffic to the LAN of the Linksys device. The subnet I was referring to is not the subnet mask that you are thinking of. A subnet is a group of pc's within a given range of IP addresses. The subnet mask just determines what subnet each pc is in. I know it sounds confusing, and it is if you're not sure how networks function. The easiest thing for you to do would be buy a wireless router to replace the Linksys, then you dont need to worry about static routes or subnets.

Hmm then I'll have to buy a wireless router (T_T) since I don't see an option to do static routing in the Motorola device.

Thank you for your reply, was really helpful.

As you have observed, there is a big difference between "...same functionality..." and ease of use.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back